American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

More like students in the 60s and 70s misinterpreting a VTF of 2.3g as 23g.
Or misinterpreting VTF for WTF... which is also a side effect of lysergic acid abuse.

What is thread drive? You are getting some secret sauce I didnt here. :oops:

Tang
Tang, you analog guys at the top of your game are holding on to sanity by a mere thread.

Using string in place of a belt.
david

Hi David,

What string do you recommend and what does it do versus the normal belt sonically?

Hi David,

What string do you recommend and what does it do versus the normal belt sonically?

Hi Bill,
The thread is a matter of experimentation people seem to like different types, I’m using a silk and Kevlar mix I picked up in a craft store. IME anything not too fine that doesn’t fray and break easily can work.

This is really for high inertia high mass platters the sound is more natural with less interference from outside. I supply the AS2000 with a narrow solid belt which is a very close 2nd to thread but without the setup and maintenance hassle of string.

david

What is thread drive? You are getting some secret sauce I didnt here. :oops:

Tang
I don't know how good or not. David seems to think secret sauce. Maybe I need to be the guinea pig first ? Belt sounds so good, didn't want to mess with near perfection...;) I will try thread soon.

Yesterday evening I had quite a surprise with the Lamm. All of a sudden the clarity and transparency of my system jumped another class. It is a surprise because I already had an excellent transparency with the Ayon and I was not looking for more benefit in this aspect when I bought the Lamm. The "dark" word I used to describe on my initial impression is no longer there. Now the sound is just very transparent, dense and in HD. If anyone think very old record sound veiled, shaped off highs and not so good definition, you should listen to this Campoli Mendelssohn. This is an excellent record with great clarity and dynamic extension. My copy has a weird surface noise for twenty seconds around fifth minute though.

@Audiophile Bill . This record should sound brilliant in your system. In my room it is like I am toward mid hall. Yours probably be more upfront. Funny. Now I can sit closer to my speakers out of my sweetspot which is 1.4 meter back I still get great sound but with more imersive front roll feeling.

Tang :)

Lovely, simply lovely. I need to get a copy of this LP!

All that's missing Khun Tang is matching Maxxums for your ML3 power supplies :D

Lovely, simply lovely. I need to get a copy of this LP!

All that's missing Khun Tang is matching Maxxums for your ML3 power supplies :D
Hehe.You caught that. I am am going cheap using freebie here.

Tang :p

That is Thai for "I ordered them already" :D

Seriously though, that cut you played is right up my alley. I would love to know more about it. Did you acquire it from the General?

Seriously though, that cut you played is right up my alley. I would love to know more about it. Did you acquire it from the General?
If you talk about the Campoli, yes I bought it from the General. I think he sent me the early pressing.

31F2195B-0DA5-4C94-8998-CB53AE175657.jpeg

Tang

It's the first press of SXL 2026. It is one of the best of the Deccas, and extremely expensive.

Hi Bill,
The thread is a matter of experimentation people seem to like different types, I’m using a silk and Kevlar mix I picked up in a craft store. IME anything not too fine that doesn’t fray and break easily can work.

This is really for high inertia high mass platters the sound is more natural with less interference from outside. I supply the AS2000 with a narrow solid belt which is a very close 2nd to thread but without the setup and maintenance hassle of string.

david

How do you tie it? Bloodknot?

Ridiculously expensive. I was going to grab one but meh, I don't like it that much.

I love it, but too expensive so didn't get

I love it, but too expensive so didn't get

Ok let's face it, it is actually crap. If I owned one I would let it go and buy many average records instead

Last edited:
No just double regular Overhand knots, I had to look up Bloodknot :)!

david

Funnily enough I knew the blood knot well as an angler myself but wondered how you get away with overhand loop at the join? Does it not cause a minute extra wow/flutter each time if moves around the motor drive wheel? I have thought of a great product I know of that can make this become seemless.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing