American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

(...) the difference between Bach and paganini.(...)

There must be some difference, otherwise why would you use an upper case letter in just one of them? ;)

Reactions: bonzo75
The Perlman play is a bit too non-virtuouso for this piece which requires that.

Think Julian Bream's guitar version is better.

Tang, do you have the Perlman chaconne too? I know you have his Pagannini caprices. Apologies if it makes it sound as if I think you do not know the difference between Bach and paganini. But then I don't think of you in heroic terms
I dont have the Perlman Chaconne. I have to keep saying this. I only started to listen to classical. I knew nothing of violin. Before I bought the Kogan I listened to most Chaconne available on youtube. Not only the emotional content of Kogan play stuck me but the tone of his violin also hit my preference. I kept listening on earphone hard enough to find that the tone of violin that other violinists I shortlisted were similar but Kogan's. The General's comment a few days ago striked my curiosity. I googled and found all violinists I shorted list used Strad with the Chaconne except Kogan used Guarneri as the General hinted.

No apology. Yes, at the moment I can not recognize the difference between Bach and Paganini if it were not a very popular piece. But I am a grasshopper when I target myself onto something. Soon I will be able to identify that.

Tang ;)

Last edited:
I dont have the Perlman Chaconne. I have to keep saying this. I only started to listen to classical. I knew nothing of violin. Before I bought the Kogan I listened to most Chaconne available on youtube. Not only the emotional content of Kogan play stuck me but the tone of his violin also hit my preference. I kept listening on earphone hard enough to find that the tone of violin that other violinists I shortlisted were similar but Kogan's. The General's comment a few days ago striked my curiosity. I googled and found all violinists I shorted list used Strad with the Chaconne except Gogan used Guarneri as the General hinted.

No apology. Yes, at the moment I can not recognize the difference between Bach and Paganini if it were not a very popular piece. But I am a grasshopper when I target myself onto something. Soon I will be able to identify that.

Tang ;)

Tang I was kidding...i know very well how your girl on a guitar these days is du pre and Joan field

Reactions: Tango
Tang I was kidding...i know very well how your girl on a guitar these days is du pre and Joan field
I also keep listening to Viktoria Postnikova playing Tchaikovsky but I couldnt find the piece on vinyl.

Tang

Reactions: zerostargeneral
In my experience, classical is much better than old rock, and jazz is right in the middle. I've bought like 3 Yes "Album" originals at "NM" that click and pop all the way through. Not to mention that ones that DO look NM, they when you go and play it, all the high frequencies are MIA... Sucks... But in the store, we have a lot of classical LPs that do not look a day old, fresh from the factory, yet they are 60s/70s pressings.
For some reason, classical listeners tended (tend) to preserve their LPs better...

As an avid ECM collector, I can say that have NEVER found a trashed ECM record. I attribute it to your statement about the type of people that own one genre or lable over another.

As an avid ECM collector, I can say that have NEVER found a trashed ECM record. I attribute it to your statement about the type of people that own one genre or lable over another.

So what does it say about the type of people who listen to prog rock

Reactions: jeff1225
Reactions: zerostargeneral
Two promotional and one original.

Kindest regards,G.

Dear G.,

These days, I look forward to your package like my son look forward to Friday.
I already cleared up one section of my vinyl shelves and will make a brass tag engraved "The General" under it.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Dear G.,

These days, I look forward to your package like my son look forward to Friday.
I already cleared up one section of my vinyl shelves and will make a brass tag engraved "The General" under it.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Alternatively, "for Kedar"

I also keep listening to Viktoria Postnikova playing Tchaikovsky but I couldnt find the piece on vinyl.

Tang

I think the Arrau is the expensive choice here, don't know the smart choice

So what does it say about the type of people who listen to prog rock

When purchasing old albums, I've found stale weed more than once, and not only in prog albums. Classic rock originals are usually thrashed from years of abuse at college dorms.

This is actually a fun topic among collectors: the kind of stuff you find while digging for original/old records...

Reactions: Folsom
More like students in the 60s and 70s misinterpreting a VTF of 2.3g as 23g.

Reactions: bonzo75
Yesterday evening I had quite a surprise with the Lamm. All of a sudden the clarity and transparency of my system jumped another class. It is a surprise because I already had an excellent transparency with the Ayon and I was not looking for more benefit in this aspect when I bought the Lamm. The "dark" word I used to describe on my initial impression is no longer there. Now the sound is just very transparent, dense and in HD. If anyone think very old record sound veiled, shaped off highs and not so good definition, you should listen to this Campoli Mendelssohn. This is an excellent record with great clarity and dynamic extension. My copy has a weird surface noise for twenty seconds around fifth minute though.

@Audiophile Bill . This record should sound brilliant in your system. In my room it is like I am toward mid hall. Yours probably be more upfront. Funny. Now I can sit closer to my speakers out of my sweetspot which is 1.4 meter back I still get great sound but with more imersive front roll feeling.

Tang :)

Tang,

Have you tried thread drive on AS2000 ? David said it sounds best. I can’t wait to try it once everything is settled in.
What is thread drive? You are getting some secret sauce I didnt here. :oops:

Tang

Reactions: Folsom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing