American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I get that same impression.

You guys like to play eye catcher. I dont even notice that so dont know whether it is optical illusion or not.

Tang

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, do I have this thinner leather matte or is it coming with the new top platter ? TIA

The thinner mat was something I experimented with before settling on the one you have and what I ship with the turntables. I had some conversations with Tang regarding the sound of the platter nude vs with the mat so I sent him a thin one to play with for something in between, I can send you one too if you wish. The significant upgrade has to do with the special steel formulation and concave shape of the new platter nothing to do with this mat. Bobby heard the prototype at his place last week, ask him about it ;).

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It's the only reasonable/practical way with the AS 2000 given the massive platter weight. It's a non-issue and with the leather matte, the LP's do not get micro scratched.

The mat was always part of the design parameters, never without.

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The thinner mat is not so practicle to use. It is a bit too light and tend to stick to the vinyl when you pick up. I use the original mat with the new concave platter now. David sent me the thin mat to try because he saw me mentioned a few times that I sometime liked a tad more analytical sound of a bare platter. The new concave platter let me hear the sound at tail-end a little more with even slight clearer sound without being cold like when on bare original platter. So I dont use thin mat. I havent tried listening to thin mat on the new concave platter.

Tang

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It's the only reasonable/practical way with the AS 2000 given the massive platter weight. It's a non-issue and with the leather matte, the LP's do not get micro scratched.

Christian, is the belt stretchy, or non compliant with a rubber contact patch? If it is stretchy, I imagine starting and stopping that massive platter can not be good for belt longevity, unless the motor pulley disengages from the motor or is otherwise allowed to continue to spin when power is shut off slowing down slowly with friction. If the platter is constantly started and stopped, then the belt is more likely to stretch over time. That will in turn affect platter speed. I think keeping the platter constantly spinning would prolong belt life and assure a more constant speed over time between belt changes. If this is the case, then that would drive other decisions like using a weight instead of a clamp, the relationship between the edge of the record and the edge of the platter to facilitate easy removal during spinning, etc, etc. It is much more difficult to pick up a record from a spinning platter if the platter has a larger radius than the LP. If the record lip is slightly raised and hanging out beyond the edge of the platter, it is much easier to lift off the spinning record. This drives the proportions of the platter. The radius is the same or slightly less than a 12" record, so if the platter needs to be a certain mass for inertia and speed stability, this drives the height of the platter, and on and on. Vacuum hold down would also complicate the lifting of a spinning LP off the platter because of the suction rim rubber.

Or, the platter spins, there is no screw down clamp or vacuum hold down for the sake of simplicity and user convenience. It seems like a very pure design.

Christian, when placing the record clamp down on the spinning record, does the record slip at all against the leather mat or the record weight?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
David, if the new platter top section is dished where do we have a flat surface on which to place a level to level the turntable?

Thank you.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The thinner mat is not so practicle to use. It is a bit too light and tend to stick to the vinyl when you pick up. I use the original mat with the new concave platter now. David sent me the thin mat to try because he saw me mentioned a few times that I sometime liked a tad more analytical sound of a bare platter. The new concave platter let me hear the sound at tail-end a little more with even slight clearer sound without being cold like when on bare original platter. So I dont use thin mat. I havent tried listening to thin mat on the new concave platter.

Tang

Thank you sir !

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian, is the belt stretchy, or non compliant with a rubber contact patch? If it is stretchy, I imagine starting and stopping that massive platter can not be good for belt longevity, unless the motor pulley disengages from the motor or is otherwise allowed to continue to spin when power is shut off slowing down slowly with friction. If the platter is constantly started and stopped, then the belt is more likely to stretch over time. That will in turn affect platter speed. I think keeping the platter constantly spinning would prolong belt life and assure a more constant speed over time between belt changes. If this is the case, then that would drive other decisions like using a weight instead of a clamp, the relationship between the edge of the record and the edge of the platter to facilitate easy removal during spinning, etc, etc. It is much more difficult to pick up a record from a spinning platter if the platter has a larger radius than the LP. If the record lip is slightly raised and hanging out beyond the edge of the platter, it is much easier to lift off the spinning record. This drives the proportions of the platter. The radius is the same or slightly less than a 12" record, so if the platter needs to be a certain mass for inertia and speed stability, this drives the height of the platter, and on and on. Vacuum hold down would also complicate the lifting of a spinning LP off the platter because of the suction rim rubber.

Or, the platter spins, there is no screw down clamp or vacuum hold down for the sake of simplicity and user convenience. It seems like a very pure design.

Christian, when placing the record clamp down on the spinning record, does the record slip at all against the leather mat or the record weight?

The belt does not stretch (very little compliance, if any)...essentially the same polymer material used on the TechDas AF1 belt. I agree...less wear and tear on belt and motor keeping the platter spinning the entire time while being used. The record does not spin/slip when adding the LP weight to the spinning platter.

I shut the AF1 down every record flip because of the vacuum hold down. I give the platter a little nudge to help it get up to speed faster on start up reducing the effort required by the motor to get to speed from 0 rpm.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
The belt does not stretch (very little compliance, if any)...essentially the same polymer material used on the TechDas AF1 belt. I agree...less wear and tear on belt and motor keeping the platter spinning the entire time while being used. The record does not spin/slip when adding the LP weight to the spinning platter.

I shut the AF1 down every record flip because of the vacuum hold down. I give the platter a little nudge to help it get up to speed faster on start up reducing the effort required by the motor to get to speed from 0 rpm.
Does the platter take a long time to get up to speed when you give it the initial nudge ?
I use the same controller on a 120 lb platter with a much weaker motor. With a nudge it only takes maybe a minute to get up to stable speed. I think the controller actually ramps up the power gradually to save belt and motor on upstart.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, if the new platter top section is dished where do we have a flat surface on which to place a level to level the turntable?

Thank you.

You check level on plinth before putting the platter on. Also there's a flat central depression in the platter that you can easily put a level on Ron, I can make yours flat if you have some concerns but you'll still have the upper platter with the same new steel formulation.

david

harleyguy

VIP/Donor
Mar 6, 2015

hey rocketman just wandering why you shut the af1 down.i have the same table and have never done that.should I be doing that thanks al

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
hey rocketman just wandering why you shut the af1 down.i have the same table and have never done that.should I be doing that thanks al

I don't shut it down...just stop the platter from spinning for record flips. I don't turn the AF1 off if that is what you mean ?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Does the platter take a long time to get up to speed when you give it the initial nudge ?
I use the same controller on a 120 lb platter with a much weaker motor. With a nudge it only takes maybe a minute to get up to stable speed. I think the controller actually ramps up the power gradually to save belt and motor on upstart.

I used my hand help spin/brake the platter during start/stop to get up to speed. I keep all my tts spinning when flipping vinyl..the big 927 platter included. The AF1 I just need to press vacuum holdown button off before doing.

Kind regards,
Tang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I used my hand help spin/brake the platter during start/stop to get up to speed. I keep all my tts spinning when flipping vinyl..the big 927 platter included. The AF1 I just need to press vacuum holdown button off before doing.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tang,

The EMT 927 does not need being spinning all the time - it goes from stop to full speed before the stylus reaches the LP and does not need any help!

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Kind regards,
Tang
Thank you Tang !

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang,

The EMT 927 does not need being spinning all the time - it goes from stop to full speed before the stylus reaches the LP and does not need any help!

Hand spinning the platter is only for AS2000 Francisco not for the EMT. I am also a lazy ass so I dont stop the platter spinning when I change the vinyl.

Tang :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing