All New Clarisys Audio Minuet Loudspeakers !

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
sbo6,
Do you think I should use ASC bass traps in the corners?

ozzy
For the vast majority of our small audio rooms (compared to ideal which is much, much larger) yes, bass traps in corners almost always yield positive sonic low frequency results with little downside, other than perhaps, aesthetics.

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Has anyone heard these speakers playing Classic Rock?
Led Zepelin. CCR. AC/DC etc.

ozzy

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Very interesting speakers.

Are the bass + midrage/tweeter drivers both planars (like Alsyvox), or is the bass planar + tweeter ribbon (like the older Apogees)?

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Very interesting speakers.

Are the bass + midrage/tweeter drivers both planars (like Alsyvox), or is the bass planar + tweeter ribbon (like the older Apogees)?
Like the Apogees.

Reactions: marmota

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
the apps have magnets at rear only
The viz is front and rear on bass panel and sides on mid n tweeter
I believe the clarysis are same as apps
both are very good

Reactions: christoph

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
I have watched every video I can find, and the actual weight of the Minute stated varies greatly.

This what Suncoast website shows:

Specifications
  • Height: 3.9 ft
  • Depth: 3.5 in
  • Width: 2 ft
  • Weight: 165 lbs. piece without flight case packaging.
This is what shows on another Clarisys website:

Specifications​

• Weight: 200 lbs. piece without flight case packaging
Here is another website showing weight in kg:
  • Height: 121cm
  • Depth: 9cm
  • Width: 70cm
  • Weight: 95 kg a piece without flightcase packaging (215kg shipping weight)
Conversion to lbs.- 95kg= 209lb

And I’m pretty sure I have also seen them listed as 220 lbs. without the flight case.
So, what do they weigh?

ozzy

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
I have watched every video I can find, and the actual weight of the Minute stated varies greatly.

This what Suncoast website shows:

Specifications
  • Weight: 165 lbs. piece without flight case packaging.
This is what shows on another Clarisys website:

Specifications​

• Weight: 200 lbs. piece without flight case packaging
Here is another website showing weight in kg:
  • Height: 121cm
  • Depth: 9cm
  • Width: 70cm
  • Weight: 95 kg a piece without flightcase packaging (215kg shipping weight)
Conversion to lbs.- 95kg= 209lb

And I’m pretty sure I have also seen them listed as 220 lbs. without the flight case.
So, what do they weigh?

ozzy
The manufacturer’s website states 95kg=209 lbs. I know Florian has recently updated the site so I’d go with that.

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Thanks, Bbock for your reply.
Suncoast Audio has just replied, and they say the older version (non-neodymium magnets) had a lighter base. The newer one with the larger magnets and beefier base increases the weight to now 220 lbs.

ozzy

Reactions: Golum and Bbock

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Thanks, Bbock for your reply.
Suncoast Audio has just replied, and they say the older version (non-neodymium magnets) had a lighter base. The newer one with the larger magnets and beefier base increases the weight to now 220 lbs.

ozzy
I wish the distributor and the manufacturer would get their technical specs accurate and in sync with their product line. Shouldn’t be hard!

Christiaan Punter

Different lipstick - same pig....
It may have started that way but they are now several generations down the line and have been improved in various aspects. I’ve owned various Apogees and am a long time fan. So far, I only heard the Clarisys Minuet (earlier Ferrite version) in a controlled environment, but they really impressed me. That was Dutch showroom PUUR hifidelity in Utrecht. I’ve done a review of them on hifi-advice.com and I may be doing more in the relative short term.

Christiaan Punter

I wish the distributor and the manufacturer would get their technical specs accurate and in sync with their product line. Shouldn’t be hard!
The trouble is that new models have recently been issued with different specs (Ferrite vs Neodymium and exoskeleton bracing, among others). Some dealers still stock the outgoing model or may still show the old specs.

Christiaan Punter

Like the Apogees.
Yes, but the mrtw foils are wider, combined with stronger magnets, so that a simpler first order crossover can be used.

Reactions: Bbock and marmota

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Yes, but the mrtw foils are wider, combined with stronger magnets, so that a simpler first order crossover can be used.

I've read your impressions about the Minuet in your website, very nicely written.

Couldn't help but notice that you wrote:

"More so than most loudspeakers I’ve heard, the Minuets sound amazingly coherent. If you play any type of instrument, it will have the same harmonics over the entire spectrum. Each driver is made from the same material and has the same motor structure and this clearly pays off."

Sorry to insist on the same question, but is the tweeter a planar, like the bass driver but downsized (as happens with Alsyvox), or a ribbon (and as such similar, but not equal to the planar bass panel)?

Christiaan Punter

I've read your impressions about the Minuet in your website, very nicely written.

Couldn't help but notice that you wrote:

"More so than most loudspeakers I’ve heard, the Minuets sound amazingly coherent. If you play any type of instrument, it will have the same harmonics over the entire spectrum. Each driver is made from the same material and has the same motor structure and this clearly pays off."

Sorry to insist on the same question, but is the tweeter a planar, like the bass driver but downsized (as happens with Alsyvox), or a ribbon (and as such similar, but not equal to the planar bass panel)?
Alsyvox uses Push-Pull (magnets front and back) for all drivers, midrange, and tweeter included. Clarisys works much like Apogee, with a planar for bass and a ribbon for mid and treble that has magnets on the sides. Nevertheless, the Minuets sounded very coherent. A friend and fellow reviewer thought the same and he is not even a fan of panel speakers/ribbons. One of the differences with the old Apogees is that the current Clarisys ribbon is wider so the crossover can be set lower and a simple first-order 6dB filter can be used. Meanwhile, the double-sided bass panels and Neodymium magnets provide higher efficiency. BTW the foam around the woofer edges (to counter resonances-the foil is hard-coupled) has also been replaced by a much more resilient material: piano felt. Re-reading what I wrote in the review, "same motor" is indeed not 100% correct. I will go and change this.

Last edited:

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Alsyvox uses Push-Pull (magnets front and back) for all drivers, midrange, and tweeter included. Clarisys works much like Apogee, with a planar for bass and a ribbon for mid and treble that has magnets on the sides. Nevertheless, the Minuets sounded very coherent. A friend and reviewer thought the same and he is not even a fan of panel speakers/ribbons. One of the differences with the old Apogees is that the current Clarisys ribbon is wider so the crossover can be set lower and a simple first-order 6dB filter can be used. Meanwhile, the double-sided bass panels and Neodymium magnets provide higher efficiency. BTW the foam around the woofer edges (to counter resonances-the foil is hard-coupled) has also been replaced by a much more resilient material: piano felt. Re-reading what I wrote in the review, "same motor" is indeed not 100% correct. I will go and change this.

Thanks for the explanation!

Reactions: Christiaan Punter

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Alsyvox uses Push-Pull (magnets front and back) for all drivers, midrange, and tweeter included. Clarisys works much like Apogee, with a planar for bass and a ribbon for mid and treble that has magnets on the sides. Nevertheless, the Minuets sounded very coherent. A friend and fellow reviewer thought the same and he is not even a fan of panel speakers/ribbons. One of the differences with the old Apogees is that the current Clarisys ribbon is wider so the crossover can be set lower and a simple first-order 6dB filter can be used. Meanwhile, the double-sided bass panels and Neodymium magnets provide higher efficiency. BTW the foam around the woofer edges (to counter resonances-the foil is hard-coupled) has also been replaced by a much more resilient material: piano felt. Re-reading what I wrote in the review, "same motor" is indeed not 100% correct. I will go and change this.

That would make the Alsyvox a push pull planar ..!

Christiaan Punter

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
"Now we can have our cake and eat it too" !

Another great review !

Last edited:

Florian

Jun 26, 2016
Switzerland
Hello, maybe as an addition. We don`t use a push pull system because we do not believe in placing a large metal and magnet grid in front of the drivers is good for the sound. Hardcore Audiophiles shy away from cloth infront of their drivers, just imagine a metal grid with magnets. It also cannot be said that a push pull design is more efficent; it depends on the distance from the panel to the grid and the kind of magnets used. Enjoy the music, life is to short :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing