All New Amplifier Technology From MSB-Introducing the M500 and the S500

MSB-System.jpg

I have not heard the new amps in this system yet but those that have are all raving. The technology of the amp seems to be uniquely different than traditional amplifiers

Introducing the 500 series amplifiers

All new amplifier technology from MSB

Extensive research by MSB has revealed that amplifiers generally fall well short of the finest resolution available from MSB’s own world class DACs.
Taking this challenge head on, we started working on a radically new kind of amplifier. One that reveals the true resolution available in our most familiar recordings. The new 500 series amplifiers feature a lifelike dynamic presentation with an astounding 134 db dynamic range!

Dynamic range is most often understood as the maximum loudness. But it also describes the incredibly important low level resolution containing the finest details to be newly discovered for the first time.
Multiple inner layers are now revealed at those precise moments in the recordings where the “harshness, brightness, forwardness” formerly existed.

The S500 and M500 are the result of newly invented methods of amplifying the audio signal employing proprietary technologies including zero negative feedback at 500 watts per channel!

The result: low level details and resolution heard for the first time, huge 3D soundstage and separation of instruments, superbly realistic timbre along with incredible dynamics and fast macro and micro transients. MSB believes this product redefines the level of realism available from our most treasured recordings.

Dealer and customer comments:
“The blackest backgrounds we have ever heard”
“live recordings? ….you are there in the space”
“incredibly natural and musical”
“the sense of new and delicate information washes over me constantly”

Last edited by a moderator:
You will not be disappointed. My mono's were unbelievable out of the box but over the first month they improved significantly.

Cincy

Reactions: koalakoala
I’ve now had the chance to home audition both the MSB S500 and the S202 stereo power amplifiers. It’s clear to me that the former is very likely going my next amp purchase, because it sounded heavenly! However, design issues below make it pretty much impossible for me to pull the trigger.

Which is a shame, as I have been enjoying the Select DAC immensely over the years, and have nothing but praise for its products and service from the MSB family/team members.

Why MSB choose to design the speaker binding posts in the way they did, I don't understand, because form does not follow function. Given that they're an engineering-driven shop, I would have expected them to test several prototype designs for both user-friendliness and performance before locking in the final mass-production design.

1) the shaft inside the binding posts are cut in parallel which produces an opening of two flat areas, reducing the round post’s effective thickness by 50%. The flat surfaces restricts the spade connection leeway to around 10 degrees from two possible entry points, from two opposing directions. This is the standard finish in just about ALL speaker binding post shafts, but very oddly, the tiny slot-opening in the plastic cover is not aligned to one of the only two entry points, resulting in the shaft being DOUBLE the thickness. The wrong alignment makes it impossible to fit a spade lug into the plastic cover's entry point, as the spade sees a massive circular shaft whose diameter exceeds the spade's "mouth" size.

2) the plastic cover severely constricts entry; the 360 degree perimeter is restricted to perhaps just a 5 degree “window”, or a slice just 1/72 of a complete circular arc. Why not just eliminate the plastic tourniquet? Is this some weird EU regulatory requirement, so people don't plug their appliance into the amplifier's speaker outputs?

3) the layout of the speaker binding posts on the amps are impractical - the spade lugs need to enter from near the ground (through a tiny opening in the plastic cover), and the speaker cables to be bent violently away from the floor

4) the distance and the offset between the positive and negative posts require the two spades on the speaker cable to be moved unnaturally far away from each other, which puts unnecessary stress on the termination legs (the last 6-8 inches) of stiffer speaker cables

5) the knobs which are rotated to torqued to clamp down on the spades have very sharp protrusions which will chew into and damage the surface of spades

6) notwithstanding ALL of the design faults above (which can be remedied through replacement parts), why does the M500 super-amp only have ONE pair of speaker binding posts per channel? This makes it impossible to bi-wire !! Please don't tell me that one needs to pay double the price to upgrade to a pair of M500s just so that their speakers can be bi-wired !

Owners of the S500 and S202 amplifiers, what are your comments and experiences?
3C098308-197B-4215-896D-4A07CDEAF764.jpeg

Last edited:
Im a bit late to the thread but QuadDiffusor as you have listened to both the 202 and S500 I would appreciate your experience in the difference between the 2 amps. I have the S202 and my dealer is trying to convince me to go up to the S500 but as I have no chance of hearing one Id welcome your experience especially as the 500 seemed to better meet your requirements judging by the above.. I love the 202 used with a reference dac with preamp module but Ive got that annoying itch again.

Im a bit late to the thread but QuadDiffusor as you have listened to both the 202 and S500 I would appreciate your experience in the difference between the 2 amps. I have the S202 and my dealer is trying to convince me to go up to the S500 but as I have no chance of hearing one Id welcome your experience especially as the 500 seemed to better meet your requirements judging by the above.. I love the 202 used with a reference dac with preamp module but Ive got that annoying itch again.
Hi Sammo,
Please PM me using the messaging function within WBF. Would be happy to chat.
Cheers!

Been a little while for this thread, but mine are coming next week. I have to figure out how I'm going to get them upstairs. Guess I'd better start doing pushups again ;)

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
Been a little while for this thread, but mine are coming next week. I have to figure out how I'm going to get them upstairs. Guess I'd better start doing pushups again ;)
Congratulations! Which exact model(s) did you buy? Have their speaker binding posts been modified/improved?

Congratulations! Which exact model(s) did you buy? Have their speaker binding posts been modified/improved?

M500. Of the several M500 owners with whom I spoke, none had concerns about the binding posts. MSB says they use the finest binding post they could find which meets their regulatory burden, but they are very willing to install the binding post of choice for any customer.

I went with their stock Furutech FT-809. MSB told me the plastic shroud is slightly different than the one shown above. My Shunyata spades fit perfectly, as you can see below:

thumbnail_IMG_3153.jpg

Here is another angle with it clamped. The knobs have a ratcheting mechanism to prevent over-tightening and breaking the post:

thumbnail_IMG_3151.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3151.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3151.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Newly invented methods of amplifying the audio signal employing proprietary technologies including zero negative feedback at 500 watts per channel![text omitted]
I think I can safely assume use of no NFB is neither an innovation or invention. Proprietary technologies are properly kept secret. Are there any patents pending for these newly invented methods?
Just checking. Objectionist say we already know everything about amplification.

After listening to the M500s for a few weeks now, I can say that I've never heard amps with such resolution, depth, and ease. Arresting out of the box (or I should say crate), they only seem to have gotten better since. I had to get my power cables reterminated with C19 connectors, but apart from that, and perhaps some server tweaks, this is it for me.

thumbnail_IMG_0572.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing