All New Amplifier Technology From MSB-Introducing the M500 and the S500

MSB-System.jpg

I have not heard the new amps in this system yet but those that have are all raving. The technology of the amp seems to be uniquely different than traditional amplifiers

Introducing the 500 series amplifiers

All new amplifier technology from MSB

Extensive research by MSB has revealed that amplifiers generally fall well short of the finest resolution available from MSB’s own world class DACs.
Taking this challenge head on, we started working on a radically new kind of amplifier. One that reveals the true resolution available in our most familiar recordings. The new 500 series amplifiers feature a lifelike dynamic presentation with an astounding 134 db dynamic range!

Dynamic range is most often understood as the maximum loudness. But it also describes the incredibly important low level resolution containing the finest details to be newly discovered for the first time.
Multiple inner layers are now revealed at those precise moments in the recordings where the “harshness, brightness, forwardness” formerly existed.

The S500 and M500 are the result of newly invented methods of amplifying the audio signal employing proprietary technologies including zero negative feedback at 500 watts per channel!

The result: low level details and resolution heard for the first time, huge 3D soundstage and separation of instruments, superbly realistic timbre along with incredible dynamics and fast macro and micro transients. MSB believes this product redefines the level of realism available from our most treasured recordings.

Dealer and customer comments:
“The blackest backgrounds we have ever heard”
“live recordings? ….you are there in the space”
“incredibly natural and musical”
“the sense of new and delicate information washes over me constantly”

Last edited by a moderator:
After about 48 hours of burn-in, I sat down for some critical listening on Sunday afternoon. A few caveats first. My baseline is the existing system with D'Agostino M400's. These were incredible amps that gave me a beautiful, lush, detailed presentation in combination with the other components in my system. I'm going to describe the differences I hear between that baseline and the system with the MSB mono's. There are so many variables (room dimensions, treatments, cables, speakers, front end etc.) it would be tough to draw any conclusions on what they would sound like in your set up.

Nonetheless, the MSB's are very special amplifiers. The initial impressions I had when I first turned them on have been confirmed and reinforced. The backgrounds are blacker than black. This has the effect of making every voice and image more pronounced. I also find that I can listen at a louder volume without fatigue. We set the gain on these to MAX for now and I will experiment by backing off as time goes on. Right now, the normal listening level as shown by the MSB volume level is the same as it was for the D"Ag's.

The second characteristic I noticed is low level detail. The background instruments deep in the soundstage or off to the right or left now have the texture and definition of the main images. Detail in general is off the charts even compared to the D'Ags. It is especially pronounced on percussion instruments. Piano notes have faster attacks. On xylophone, you can separate the thump the hammer makes on the key from the actual note. I have on file from a Chesky CD with a bluesman playing Bones. The sound of the woody impact is scary realistic.

The MSB's soundstage breadth and depth, bass definition (particularly on acoustic bass) and tonal accuracy all edge the D'Agostino's but not by much. Their accuracy and detail are what separate them by a wide margin.

The amps after running for two days are no hotter than the D'Ags were after running for an hour. The engineers at MSB did a great job of thermal management.

In sum, I'm very pleased with the purchase. My ears are no match for a professional reviewer or for many of you. I only know what I like when I hear it in my room, with the rest of my gear with my files. These amp I like. A lot. I've had Krell amps ever since the KSA-250 back in the 90's. Sad to say goodbye but the MSB's are the new standard for me.

Eric
Hi cincy2 glad to hear your enthusiasm for the M500’s. Unfortunately I could only order the S500 due to my systems location. Den/living area. Life would have been difficult. I have the MSB Reference dac, Pro USB, purposely built music server and magico Q5’s (Vinyl setup another time). I Have been using Vitus sis-025 as my 2 channel amp(will be selling soon). Before the MSB dac I was using the Vitus as my preamp. My system at present(as described) sounds great. Plenty of power. I am excitedly waiting the S500. Black as well. They do look huge! BRUTE! One of my deciding factors to this leap of faith purchase, beside my love for the dac, was the trigger ability. I don’t get why most designers in high end don’t use it. Makes power up/off so much easier. I was very happy to read your excitement for your new amps. You have a fantastic system. Look forward to more of your incite.
Happy listening. p.kogan ??

Reactions: asiufy
Congratz cincy! Nice review too...I'm also awaiting delivery of a modest S500 to replace my DagS250...hopefully Jan...
Cheers!

Just thought I'd say that folks interested in listening to the M500s, we still have them in the store, partnered to our SELECT 2 and a Nagra HD Preamp, and your choice of Wilson or YG speakers.

Just thought I'd say that folks interested in listening to the M500s, we still have them in the store, partnered to our SELECT 2 and a Nagra HD Preamp, and your choice of Wilson or YG speakers.

Hi Alex,

Why do you have the Nagra HD Preamp in the signal chain when the M500’s are specifically designed to be connected directly to the Select 2 on their 75 ohm input impedance setting?

Ken

Hi Alex,

Why do you have the Nagra HD Preamp in the signal chain when the M500’s are specifically designed to be connected directly to the Select 2 on their 75 ohm input impedance setting?

Ken

Good question but I'd love to hear that system.

Dave

Hi Alex,

Ken

Because we can :)
Seriously, we have other amps, some (most) who will derive great benefit from the a preamp.
We don't HAVE to use the preamp, obviously. When we presented the amps recently, we did it preamp-less, and we've done many other presentations/events with the MSB driving the amps directly, much to some manufacturers' chagrin. When we presented the Technics SL-1000, we used the MSB DAC as the preamp, just to mess with people's heads :)
In the end, the option is there, and the customer decides what he wants to listen to.

Actually they are designed to be a great fit to MSB dac’s! Select, Reference, premier and discrete dac’s and all previous MSB dac’s.
They will also, I am sure, work well with anything else out there. Otherwise a pretty dumb business model. ??

Because we can :)
Seriously, we have other amps, some (most) who will derive great benefit from the a preamp.
We don't HAVE to use the preamp, obviously. When we presented the amps recently, we did it preamp-less, and we've done many other presentations/events with the MSB driving the amps directly, much to some manufacturers' chagrin. When we presented the Technics SL-1000, we used the MSB DAC as the preamp, just to mess with people's heads :)
In the end, the option is there, and the customer decides what he wants to listen to.

Thanks Alex. Could you describe the difference in the sound with the Nagra HD preamp in the chain versus running directly from the Select 2 to the M500’s?

Ken

My MSB S500 has arrived(12/31/19). I quickly removed it from it‘s crate, positioned it on the floor next to my rack and hooking it up. I am not a fan of break-in delayed listening. I prefer to allow it to break-in while I listen. So literally right out of the crate, WOW! The MSB S500 took control of my magico Q5’s. I am not a wordsmith. I can’t, with eloquence, convey what I am hearing. I can’t make you feel as if you are hearing it too. I can only say that at this moment I am done. No need to look further. No reason to think “did I make the correct decision in my purchase?” I did! That is saying a lot for me. I tend to second guess my audio choices. Buyers remorse. Not with this amp. WOW! It just seems to do everything right. My missing link. I have to go back and listen to everything all over again. Like hearing for the first time.
The fit and finish, like all MSB products, exemplary. The amp is large. A huge foot print. Relinquish to the floor. From where it seems to control all that I hear. A great beginning of 2020 audio experience. Now if the world could just catch up. ??

My MSB S500 has arrived(12/31/19). I quickly removed it from it‘s crate, positioned it on the floor next to my rack and hooking it up. I am not a fan of break-in delayed listening. I prefer to allow it to break-in while I listen. So literally right out of the crate, WOW! The MSB S500 took control of my magico Q5’s. I am not a wordsmith. I can’t, with eloquence, convey what I am hearing. I can’t make you feel as if you are hearing it too. I can only say that at this moment I am done. No need to look further. No reason to think “did I make the correct decision in my purchase?” I did! That is saying a lot for me. I tend to second guess my audio choices. Buyers remorse. Not with this amp. WOW! It just seems to do everything right. My missing link. I have to go back and listen to everything all over again. Like hearing for the first time.
The fit and finish, like all MSB products, exemplary. The amp is large. A huge foot print. Relinquish to the floor. From where it seems to control all that I hear. A great beginning of 2020 audio experience. Now if the world could just catch up. ??
What amps did you have before the MSB?

" I can only say that at this moment I am done. No need to look further."

LOL. If I had a nickel....... Kidding aside, best of luck and good listening with the new amp. They are special.

Eric

It is difficult for me to compare different amps/systems. They would have been in a completely different systems in a completely different room/home. So their comparisons would be of no real value. This is why I did not mention. I did use a vitus SIA-025 integrated amp for a few years. When I bought the MSB Reference dac I used the Reference as my preamp and the SIA-025 as a 2 channel amp only. Great integrated amp. But a completely different type of amp. Not a good comparison. The Vitus did sound really good. Just no comparison. My previous system was VTL siegfrieds, VTL preamp(don’t remember model #) with Rockport arrakis speakers. Tough comparison. I gave up tubes after that experience. Not for me. Several incarnations prior but memory escapes me at the moment. I do know when something sounds special. To me these do. Chances of me becoming board very low. Besides my wife would probably divorce me. Or worse just make my life miserable. Hope that helps. ??

Reactions: sujay and christoph
My S500 arrived last Friday, replacing good old DagS250.

First impression - it does reveal a lot more finer details than previously possible...

Now, onto 300 hours of burning in...

Cheers!

Reactions: asiufy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing