Alexx Vs arrived

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Left side is mainly glass doors and windows - not great. Right side is partially open to the kitchen. No treatments yet
That looks indeed like a quite challenging space .
I had a uncovered glass front and side wall in my amsterdam appartment and it was kinda difficult to relax / listen because of all the reflections .
I d think you would have problems getting optimal bass with the speakers placed this way because of the open kitchen area .

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, pk! The room looks fantastic!

Reactions: Scott Naylor

zitas

Dec 19, 2021
I am also hopeful that I can avoid a sub. I am trying to keep the room clean. All the components sit in the wall cabinets.
great speaker choice! dont worry, they will open up.
very cool with the wall cabinet !!

i heard the alexxV without subs and with subs (2x watchdog). it was noticable better with subs. then again, dont worry, the alexx alone is joyous almost over the top. my dealer likes them at least as much as the xvx.

pk_LA

VIP/Donor
Oct 21, 2021
The break-in process clearly isn’t binary. The speakers are sounding better by the day now! Bass definition has improved. Mid range has loss some of the tightness. High frequencies are less harsh. Sounding pretty, pretty, pretty good…to quote Larry David.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
Just FYI, Alexx V review
I know this thread is a year old but curious about your thoughts on the Alexx V now that they are broken in. I currently have the Alexia 1 but have ordered the Alexx V which should arrive in a month. Which Alexia model did you have prior to he Alexx and how do you think about the comparison a year later. Thanks in advance for your observations.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Your question was not directed to me, but may I say I think you're going to be very happy moving from Alexia 1 to Alexx V!

Reactions: gadawg58 and ScottK

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
A thought on break in of the Wilson speakers.
I commented to Bill Peugh that the two pair of Wilson speakers I’d owned had both blossomed after about 25 hours of play. He said that the drivers are run at the factory, but that the capacitors would change as they broke in. This actually made good sense to me. The speakers do continue to improve, but in my case there was a definite sense of suddenly getting past an obstacle on the fourth day of play.

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
Arrived today. I am still awaiting the amplifier I ordered (Boulder 3060) and pre-amplifier (TBD). They got initial positioning and setup with D'Agostino Momentum amp and Rossini.

My initial reaction to them vs. the Alexia's they replaced:

1) Richer bass but a bit tight.
2) Mid-range is also tight.

Overall really nice. Not mind-bending though. I think they'll change quite a bit over the next few weeks. They have ~3 hours total time on them!

View attachment 88230

jmhenrie

Aug 22, 2014
omak washington
my new AlexxVs were installed today replacing my Sasha 1s dealer setup verses my setup close but a little closer to the walls then I was so far I am hearing a lot more detail with a wider and higher soundstage. I also upgraded my DSC Bartok to Apex so it's hard to compare new and old but happy so far. now the debate on upgrading my Classe m600s will start going off in my head IMG_0220.jpeg

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
very nice! congratulations.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
my new AlexxVs were installed today replacing my Sasha 1s dealer setup verses my setup close but a little closer to the walls then I was so far I am hearing a lot more detail with a wider and higher soundstage. I also upgraded my DSC Bartok to Apex so it's hard to compare new and old but happy so far. now the debate on upgrading my Classe m600s will start going off in my head View attachment 128133

Congrats ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing