A Music Passion

Two very nice ^ selections; sweet chaos from the cello in the first and Angel's music (voices) in the second...right on.

Actually, the first one was to match the cello part from the Sicario OST you posted. They're played by the same cellist lady.
...Dancing on a musical wavelength ...
Always, and not just music, life is a dance... Jóhannsson's album Orphée was inspired by Jean Cocteau's movie of the same name. In fact, the Orpheus story goes way back. For operas, there is Monteverdi's opera L'Orfeo and Gluck's Orfeo ed Euridice. Then Giovanni Sgambati took the Dance of the Blessed Spirits from Act II in Gluck opera and turned it into a piano piece, which is in the What are you currently listening to (Classical)? thread on Sept 24. In the Net of Indra, everything reflects everything else :)

Reactions: NorthStar
Always, and not just music, life is a dance... Jóhannsson's album Orphée was inspired by Jean Cocteau's movie of the same name. In fact, the ...

Nicely said about life is a dance...100% agree.
And very nice to learn more about beautiful music from great music composers and players.
Since Joker's music score came up I plunged into a labyrinth of great musical exploration.
I learned a lot and was exposed to new discovered music that I love.
Through films that I love...Arrival, Sicario, The Revenant, Sicario: Day of the Soldado, Prisoners, ... I was already exposed to the two music composers in question here. I simply went deeper into their world to become my world. I dance with their music ... it becomes my dance floor.

Through films that I love...Arrival, [...] ... I was already exposed to the two music composers in question here. [...]
Strange thing about the Arrival OST album is that On The Nature Of Daylight, probably the most memorable piece in the whole film, is not in there. It's from Max Richter's The Blue Notebooks. Supposedly the Arrival was disqualified from Oscar best new score because the Richter piece was not new. Too bad. Anyway, it's here:

Max Richter: On The Nature Of Daylight
Louisa Fuller, Natalia Bonner, John Metcalfe, Philip Sheppard, Chris Worsey

? https://www.allmusic.com/artist/max-richter-mn0000203592/biography

Did you see this film?

Here with a classical/orchestral fusion electronica music genre composer...Max Ritcher, we're talking deep passionate music from the crevasses of the human soul, inter-spatial and inner-contemplating. ...Music to travel inside the emotional human Galaxy.

Last edited:
Did you see this film?
Nope. First impression of the trailer on Youtube looks rather ambivalent, which is probably a big prerequisite for any movie to be interesting. Online catalog for the local public library says there is a copy at a branch within walking distance. Went there last night and they couldn't find it. Now the copy is declared missing. Have to order one from another branch. Real soon now... Thank you very much for pointing out.

And while we're at it, ordered the first Sicario movie as well. Had a chance to borrow the second movie a while back but never got around to see the first one. Now speaking of Emily Blunt, Edge of Tomorrow is almost as twisted as Arrival, but the latter is much more profound. To me at least...
Here with a classical/orchestral fusion electronica music genre composer...Max Ritcher, we're talking deep passionate music from the crevasses of the human soul, inter-spatial and inner-contemplating. ...Music to travel inside the emotional human Galaxy.

Speaking of fusion of classical, orchestral, electronica, new age, world music etc, check out Kitaro. Below is from the anime series Queen Millennia:

Space Queen
Kitaro

He also did the soundtrack for NHK's documentary series Silk Road. I have an album from there in the play queue. Which WBF music listening thread should something like that be posted by the way?

'Hostiles' I think you're going to like.
The first 'Sicario' film directed by Denis Villeneuve is the better one.
And the music score is memorable.

Electronica music, Kitaro; some of his stuff I like...not all.
_____

In a more quiet pursuit of space ...

Last edited:
Reactions: accwai and rando
'Hostiles' I think you're going to like.
The first 'Sicario' film directed by Denis Villeneuve is the better one.
And the music score is memorable.
Thanks!
Electronica music, Kitaro; some of his stuff I like...not all.
He could also be doorway to a whole different world...

#2 for Gaia
Kitaro, Philip Glass, Mickey Hart

Koyaanisqatsi
Philip Glass

Eric Whitacre: Sainte-Chapelle
The Sixteen, Harry Christophers

Sixteen sings a contemporary piece commissioned by Tallis Scholars. Whitacre talks about the piece:

Tallis Scholars' version is available at Hyperion Records:

https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/tw.asp?w=W20164

Text for the Sixteen version is somewhat different from the Tallis Scholars version, which presumably is definitive. Hmm...

Very nice the last two above, my type of music choirs (vocals).
One day one of my sisters asked me what I was listening to; I said "angels music".
She asked me to send her some; I obliged and sent her two recordings.
She later commented that it wasn't her type.

When I first bought my first turntable I was 14, and among my first records (Beatles, Coltrane, Evans, and rock music that followed thereafter...) I had a 12-LP set of all the most famous Classical music composers. It was those that I listened the most @ night with headphones on till I fell asleep, then wakeup time and up to school.

Over the years...Rock, Jazz, Blues, New Age, French traditional, International, Gypsy, Flamenco, Tango, Electronica, Chorales, Chamber Classical, Jazz Trio and Quatro, Raw Blues solo, Full Orchestral Classical, Solo Piano, Cello, Violin, Psychedelic Rock, Floyd, Zep, Stones, Stevens, Crosby, everything.

Half century later ... Opera and Tango are my top two...just ahead of Classical and Jazz.
Choral music is in my top two...part of Opera multi-voices.

When people visit they think that Jazz is my number one as the walls talking.
In my intimacy of music listening, in my secrecy of privacy...Opera and Choral Music sooth my deepest soul. Don't tell nobody it's very hard for the majority of people to grasp.

It's not my fault, my personal music evolution (heart) brought me there...life's musical journey.
There are things in life that are sacred and best kept secret. Don't tell anyone they might judge from the wrong side of the music stable.

For public expression it's Classical, Jazz, International and Blues.

Deep deep down Opera is the most expressive instrument of them all...the human voices.
It's not my fault, it simply talks to my deepest emotional human chords, there is nothing I can do about to change ... I think I'll die with Opera. I've never found anything more grandiose in my music life. All the movies and pictures and photos and walks in the forests and sailings on the ocean and money of the entire world and scenic drives on the countrysides cannot even approximate the true feeling inside on the edge of human apotheosis. To me that it is.

So I really appreciate the two last music YouTube videos you posted. And I listened to all music videos that I like plus I do extensive research on the ones I love more, including the ones from my own musical library behind the walls of Jazz ... the sacred innersanctum of my sanctuary.
Just don't tell anyone as most wouldn't understand what it means ...

It's like a photograph lost in time in a different space without words ...

Last edited:
There are different ways to approach operas. There has been many deeply expressive overture, aria and chorus. But over time, a lot of operas come to be known for little more than a single fragment, for example Hunters' Chrous from Carl Maria von Weber's Der Freischütz. The the whole opera is much more than that, compelling story, sound effects, etc.

At the end of the day, operas are story telling. From that angle way, opera seria clear has a mind set very different from opera buffa. Compare say, Handel's Rinaldo to Mozart's Marriage of Figaro for example. Old opera seria often based on mistaken identity but sometime the plot got twisted so much that heavy handed deus ex machina is needed to close the whole thing off, which could be quite hilarious in modern eyes. Vivaldi's L'Olimpiade is a good example here. Really catchy overture too.

But, before operas, there were madrigals, cantatas, etc. And a lot more forms before that. I'll post examples in this thread over time, but to get things started, here is a J.S. Bach cantata from his early Mühlhausen days:

Bach: Gottes Zeit ist die allerbeste Zeit (Actus Tragicus), BWV 106
Netherlands Bach Society, Jos van Veldhoven

A masterpiece at many levels. The soprano 'Ja, komm, Herr Jesu!' at 9:12 can be considered the center of the work but one can't just zoom in on it. There is simply no inessential bits anywhere in the whole thing.

When you are into it it's impossible to get out; it's the highest caliber class in music ... human voices ... Operas and Chorales. It has everything...passion, love, drama, comedy, tension, relaxation, peace and war. And it says with the highest affirmation. It's intergalactical communication across the stars from planet Earth and its talented musical inhabitant's voices. ...Like angels from the paradise's sky and above the clouds.

In my humble opinion of course ...

Here we go again; jazdoc has nothing else to do on this wet Friday than to wet some more ...
Some people are solid like the Rock of Gibraltar, some advance for the best and others are still @ rest. Lol, that's a good one ... this little guy is outrageously funny. :D

When you are into it it's impossible to get out; it's the highest caliber class in music ... human voices ... Operas and Chorales. It has everything...passion, love, drama, comedy, tension, relaxation, peace and war. And it says with the highest affirmation. It's intergalactical communication across the stars [...]

Deepest expression in vocal has many forms. It doesn't have to be opera or choral you know :) Here is a organum:

Perotin: Alleluia/Posui adiutorium
Musica Ficta

By the way, strictly speaking the term Chorale has very specific meaning which might not be what you have in mind. We'll deal with that later. But interestingly, spinning a chorale into polyphonic form is rather similar to how organum was derived from Gregorian chant. Musical forms are rather interrelated...

And it doesn't have to be vocal. Overtures to operas, oratorios, cantatas etc can be expressive and intersting on their own as well:

Handel: Ode for Saint Cecilia's Day, HWV 76 - Overture
The English Concert, Trevor Pinnock

Have been meaning to post this one for a few days but andolink beats me to it and posted the whole thing to the classical what you're listening thread.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing