55 inch OLED TV from LG

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Apart from the LG OLED 55" 3D which IMO is the finest viewing experience I have ever had, the only only other TV which made me drool is the soon to be released Samsung Series 8 75" LED

There was even an 8K projector there that everyone felt was inferior to the 75" Samsung

LG also showed a 70" 4K 3D TV that although good didn't come close to the 55" OLED

As far as information given by LG, it seems we all got different stories. I asked 3 different reps and gor 3 different stories as to when available and how much from

1. We don't know and we don't know

2. Later this year and pricing to be announced

3. End of 1st quarter this year and $5K

Even if it isn't first quarter but if correct on the price IMO it is worth the wait. I didn't feel for my eyes the other OLEDs on display came close (now of course the source material could certainly have been a factor)

For those watching the LG OLED the crowds were huge and stayed to watch without moving whereas the others people would stop make comments and move on but everyone's eyes came back to the LG

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Here are my rather poor pictures of the LG display at CES (images are in 3-D so don't show up well).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Amir as great as your photos are they just cannot do justice to that TV even to appreciate it only being 4 mm thin

Did you see the Samsung Series 8 75"LED

I also agree about the source material being exceptional for 3D

The off axis viewing of this OLED TV and not lose any 3D effect had me shaking my head in disbelief

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Apart from the LG OLED 55" 3D which IMO is the finest viewing experience I have ever had, the only only other TV which made me drool is the soon to be released Samsung Series 8 75" LED
The new micro-dimming technology really makes those displays better. I will post pictures of them later.

As far as information given by LG, it seems we all got different stories. I asked 3 different reps and gor 3 different stories as to when available and how much from
I think these are trial balloons for retailers. Likely behind closed doors to mentioned how much they would cost to them and have their feedback as to whether there is a market for them. I am afraid the answer is going to be negative regarding bringing out expensive displays in a recession. And without the major buyers, they can't spin up the production of these risky products.

To give you an idea, the first Sharp 1080p displays required repairing individual pixels with laser due to low yields. I suspect similar work will go on here, pushing the cost way up. Let's hope I am wrong and we do get the option of having these sets.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Boy, sometimes I hate it when I am right :).

Just going through my pictures of Sony's "Crystal displays" (very similar to OLED), I found elements of flaws in the panel! Wish I had taken the same close ups at LGs:

Now look at this close up:

See the vertical line close to the left and a few blue pixels to the right?

Importantly, note the faint horizontal line. That is the worst news. It means that this is not a single panel but two of them placed vertically side by side! This was a common technical to get 4K resolution LCDs two years ago. The yields are low so they make smaller panels and put them together. For a show, this is fine. But as you see from the close up, the panels don't align fully. So for a product that they sell, I am not sure it will fly.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I agree with Steve. The LG 3D OLED was jaw-dropping. The Samsung Series 8 LED panel was next. But the saddest observation for me is that Sony is simply abdicating the large format hi end TV market. Nothing over 65" now or in the future. It just seems like they no longer care about SOA video displays.

BTW, although the LG 3D OLED display was impressive, the most impressive 3D display was the brunette in the red dress standing at the LG exhibit. The photos don't do her justice. However, I think she was a little pissed off because she's probably not used to standing next to a video display where most people are looking at the display and not her.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I agree with Steve. The LG 3D OLED was jaw-dropping. The Samsung Series 8 LED panel was next. But the saddest observation for me is that Sony is simply abdicating the large format hi end TV market. Nothing over 65" now or in the future. It just seems like they no longer care about SOA video displays.

BTW, although the LG 3D OLED display was impressive, the most impressive 3D display was the brunette in the red dress standing at the LG exhibit. The photos don't do her justice. However, I think she was a little pissed off because she's probably not used to standing next to a video display where most people are looking at the display and not her.

Sony lost their ass last year on flat panel TVs and I believe they sold off their panel manufacturing facility to Samsung.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Sony lost their ass last year on flat panel TVs and I believe they sold off their panel manufacturing facility to Samsung.
Actually, they bought into Samsung's flat panel manufacturing a few years ago. They simply never saw the flat panel revolution coming and didn't invest in it until the Koreans and Sharp in Japan ran with it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

...And you didn't take any picture of her to share with us!
What kind of videophile are you? :b

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Here's a comment from CNET:rolleyes::

Giant OLED TVs aren't inherently amazing. It's a long-standing CES tradition for TV makers to try and out-do each other with demos of high-end big screens that won't wind up in many living rooms anytime soon. This year, the makers in question were LG and Samsung, which had 55"OLED TVs at their booths. I checked out both sets--and didn't come away lusting after either one. The LG, at least when I saw it, was displaying gimmicky 3D videos, which made it hard to judge how good it would be for anything else. And the video clips I saw on the Samsung were way over-saturated, giving everything an artificial, candy-colored effect that reminded me of some OLED smartphones.

Quite the contrary of what you expressed.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Color accuracy remains a big unknown with these displays. The current units on smartphones can be notoriously bad. Let's hope the home units do good here.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Yeah, Black level.
"While most manufacturers were hell-bent on making the brightest possible displays, Pioneer took the opposite path with Kuro. And their deeper blacks also yielded superior shadow detail and resolution."

...The KURO Elites (plasma) were (still are) the best because the opical filter was directly bonded to the plasma elements instead of the display's glass, which is the way every other plasma display was/is made.

In today's economy, you get less for less.

The best is simply not a viable option in today's normal way of life for most citizens, by the manufacturers.
We can talk about it, but that's about it. :)

Still, a lot of people out there have their Kuro plasmas. :cool: And they just don't care with flawed 3D anyway.

And if OLED wants to survive, prices have to come down. I think.

* The Elite PRO-60X5FD 3D LED LCD HDTV (Sharp) at $6,000 MSRP is just too expensive to make a serious dent, I think.

So, I don't know what will happen with OLED down the road. But I sure hope that they make it, and without skipping the beat. ...Top quality and affordability.

Meanwhile, forget about 4K, and give us 48 fps for a real new Cinematic adventure.
We got to rewrite the books on Quality VISION. ...Cinematic experience from reconstruction with the new and advanced world's technologies.

As for 3D, it'll take several more years before it's well cooked. But OLED can improve things here I believe.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing