55 inch OLED TV from LG

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OLED LCDs are today's holy grail of flat panels. They have very high contrast ratio (weakness in current LCDs) and extremely thin. They are mass produced for phones today but in larger sizes, have been only expensive prototypes at just 20 inches or so. Getting up to 55 inch with the possibility of them being available for purchase is tantalizing!

-----

It's not every day you can claim making the largest of the thinnest TV screens on the planet--which is precisely why LG is drumming up excitement for its 55-inch OLED TV panel at CES 2012.

What's the big deal? The 5-millimeter-thick display is light, pencil-thin, and promises high definition with no after image--that motion-induced blur you may see in an LCD screen. In addition, it boasts a contrast ratio of over 100,000:1.

What's more, LG is setting up a stepped-up pricing war, strongly hinting that its world's-largest OLED display won't cost an arm and a leg.

"Although OLED technology is seen as the future of TV display, the technology has been limited to smaller display sizes and by high costs, until now," said Dr. Sang Beom Han, CEO and Executive Vice President of LG Display, in a statement. "LG Display's 55-inch OLED TV panel has overcome these barriers."

We'll hopefully find out exactly what that price will be during LG's press conference in January.

Read more: http://www.cnet.com/8301-33379_1-57348441/lgs-mammoth-55-inch-oled-tv-is-ces-bound/#ixzz1hidadERO

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Amir, I saw that article at CNET. What is your take on the OLED's you've seen to date?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The little ones I have seen are astonishingly good from contrast point of view as in night and day better than current LCDs. Reason is that when an OLED wants to produce black, it does exactly that -- produces no light. Whereas with LCDs, the light is always there and the unit is trying to filter it so some amount gets through.

The only concerning thing is that on the versions used on phones, as brightness level changes, they can have wild swings in color accuracy. For a TV, this is not acceptable. I have not looked at what causes this but signal processing should be effective to tame it if it is in the nature of the device to do that.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
It seems as though it has the potential to be somewhat of a game changer. I am looking forward to reports on the LG at CES.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
The little ones I have seen are astonishingly good from contrast point of view as in night and day better than current LCDs. Reason is that when an OLED wants to produce black, it does exactly that -- produces no light. Whereas with LCDs, the light is always there and the unit is trying to filter it so some amount gets through.
Amir, have you played around much with adjusting the strength of the backlight of the LCD? We only have a cheapie, but one of the adjustments I made was dropping the intensity so that in a darkened room the presence of the backlight was just noticeable on a black image. This enabled me to get good black gradations in normal viewing, and any lack of maximum white intensity is not significant, at least for me.

Frank

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The best LCD LED HDTVs with local dimming (Sharp Elite), use over 300 backlit zones.
Very good, but very expensive too!

Others use only two or three dozens (backlit zones). Not good enough!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob, what's the advantage of having a greater number of zones of lighting? I've not gone into the LED thing, but one thing I've noted is that people comment on them having uneven lighting across the image, especially over time ...

Frank

Because if you don't have the full backlit uniformity the light will spill to adjacent non-lit zones.
You can see that effect easily on the rolling credits at the end of a movie.
So, non-uniform screen lighting vs. much better light distribution when more backlit zones.

LCD LED HDTVs, some, have an excellent Black level, even better than Plasmas!
But it is in the overall uniformity that they fall short. Because exactly for the reason that they are or only Edgelit, or that they have just few local Backlit zones.

According to the pros on this matter, the local dimmimg requires several backlit zones for proper uniform lighting.
And the Sharp Elite models so far are the much superior ones because the 60" model one uses just over 300 backlit zones. ...Much more than any other LCD LED designs.

* I am totally amazed by the price reduction right now on Plasma HDTVs!
Right now you can get a very good 3D model, 50-inch, for less than seven hundred bucks (US dollars)! Just Wow! And a 60" 3D model for a thou! It is simply outrageously low! ...Which means, vary good! :b Ya mate! :cool:

Frank, there are several great articles and reviews; check Home Theater for example, and several HDTV places on the Internet.

But OLED is the new kid on the block, and the one to watch for. :b

* 3D is cool for Animations, but still very controversial between the two camps; Active & Passive.
And it ain't catching up with the general public.

As for 4K, there are now two projectors on the market; one from Sony and the other from JVC (mass market, not Pro market). The Sony is almost there, just need some more refinements. And the JVC is cheating for now, somehow...

But 4K is still quite some time away before becoming a reality for most of us; and for the content, and the mediums (capacity), and the cameras, and the direction, and the goals, and the 'vertigo' business effect of life itself (money and all that Jazz...).

OLED is expensive right now; too expensive for the masses.
But that's true for any new technology when they first hit.

But! We're here at WBF, and what we are interested in is indeed the Best! :b
Best Value too, but times are going so fast right now that it'll come much faster than expected.

Last edited:

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I've mentioned this before, but for me the key thing is to get the maximum potential out of the display by adjusting it properly, and getting decent source material to play on it. A lot of screens that people have in their homes are working at well back from their best, and using lousy cable or such material to display. For me, even SD free to air looks very good, provided the TV studio doesn't go stupid with applying excessive sharp filtering, and compressing the transmission to high levels. Full HD with the right material, Blu-ray Baraka, shows that a standard TV can be very, very impressive: just feed it with decent material!

Frank

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
And here I still use a KV-36HS420

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I've mentioned this before, but for me the key thing is to get the maximum potential out of the display by adjusting it properly, and getting decent source material to play on it. A lot of screens that people have in their homes are working at well back from their best, and using lousy cable or such material to display. For me, even SD free to air looks very good, provided the TV studio doesn't go stupid with applying excessive sharp filtering, and compressing the transmission to high levels. Full HD with the right material, Blu-ray Baraka, shows that a standard TV can be very, very impressive: just feed it with decent material!

Frank

Very true Franky, but a well calibrated display is only as good as its technological implementation.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Wow, 230 pounds Mammoth!

Ron, why aren't you getting a Plasma 65" 1080p HDTV (about 75 pounds)?

Good ?, course I'm always wallowing in old tech that still works well. To be honest that KV pic is still awfully good and believe or not I still don't have a BD player. Still waiting to see if the fad catches on, I guess.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Ok, you got excellent taste in your music selections, big time, like a true Maestro,
but you're behind the curve for the video portion (potion). :b

* Just a few examples:
- Try a Blu-ray like 'John Mayer - Where the Light is - Live in Los Angeles', with a widescreen plasma HDTV, or front projector, and with the 5.1-channel speakers (full range) all around.

- Or 'Tron Legacy' on Blu-ray (7.1 Lossless), and feel that audio soundtrack...
- Or 'Super 8' on Blu-ray (7.1 Lossless), and experience that train crash... Add a second sub too.

Also, check something like Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and hear what it does to the overall sound in your own room. :b

Just simply suggesting (from personal experience), and sorry Amir for the short off topic interlude.

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
LG announced today that they will be demoing an 84" 4K LCD TV as well. UD - UltraDefinition - is probably only just a few years away;

LG'S 3D UD TV PRESENTS IDEAL COMBINATION OF IMMERSIVE 3D WITH UNRIVALED DISPLAY QUALITY
With Industry-Best 3D Technology and Ultra Definition Display,
LG's 3D UD TV Raises the Bar for 3D Experience in the Home

SEOUL, Dec. 29, 2011 – LG Electronics (LG) will unveil the world's largest 3D Ultra Definition (UD) TV at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas. By combining LG's industry-leading 3D technology and Smart TV function with UD display technology, the 84-inch TV breaks new ground in immersive 3D home entertainment.

"LG is pushing the limits of home entertainment innovation with this 3D UD TV," said Havis Kwon, President and CEO of LG Electronics Home Entertainment Company. "We are bringing together all our Smart TV and 3D knowledge in the 3D UD TV in order to demonstrate to the CES audience that LG is committed to being the world's leading brand for immersive home entertainment in 2012 and beyond."

LG's 3D UD TV boasts superb picture quality with 8 million pixels, four times the resolution clarity (3840x2160) of existing Full HD TV panels. Combined with LG's Slim and Narrow Bezel Design, the 3D UD TV provides the most convincing 3D viewing experience currently available outside of a movie theater. What's more, 3D Depth Control allows users to customize their viewing experience by controlling the 3D effect while 3D Sound Zooming provides users with 3D sound that rivals the output of all but the best home theater systems.

Via the superior display panel, users can access LG's Smart TV ecosystem, which comprises over 1,200 apps and gives users access to a growing range of premium content services such as the 3D Zone where viewers can select from a wealth of 3D movies. The imbedded 2D to 3D conversion engine expands the availability of 3D content to limitless levels. Users can easily browse and navigate the Smart TV ecosystem using LG's new, ergonomically-designed Magic Remote which now recognizes four different types of command input: Voice Recognition, Wheel, Magic Gesture and Point.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The plot thickens. Apparently Samsung will demo OLED displays too. Pricing is thought to be around $8,000 and delivery later in the year. Expected to drop to $4,000 next year.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing