55 inch OLED TV from LG

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Bit more detail: http://www.oled-display.net/more-pictures-and-technical-details-about-lgs-55-inch-oled-tv/

"LG showcase a 55 inch OLED-Television panel at the CES-2012, now we got more pictures and details about the world largest OLED-Tv from LG-Display.
The panel has a thickness from only 4 mm and weights only 7.5 kg. The contrast ratio is over 100.000:1 and the reaction time is 1000 times faster than the LCD-technology. The panel refresh rate is less than 0.1 microseconds. LG has also developed a Triple XD engine to drive the picture with Dynamic Color Enhancer, a Contrast Optimizer and a Resolution Upscaler.

The 55EM9600 OLED Tv can show images in 2D and in 3D and the device features a 2D to 3D converting system for viewing standard 2D material with a realistic 3D effect.

This 55 inch OLED-Tv is only a prototype but LG want to ramp up a production line in Q2 2012. LG Display use a Oxide-TFT backplane, which is cheaper to produce with the same picture quality. LG says also that they use a white OLED with color filter design. This technology was purchased from Kodak in 2009. Digitimes are reporting also that LG put its 55-inch AMOLED TV to production. We think that the price of this panel could be about 10.000-15.000 dollars.The model number will be 55EM9600."

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
The plot thickens. Apparently Samsung will demo OLED displays too. Pricing is thought to be around $8,000 and delivery later in the year. Expected to drop to $4,000 next year.

....and to $2,000 the following year and then $1,000 and then .....

I purchased a Samsung 50 inch plasma about 5 years ago for right at $2000. We just bought my wife's son one for $575. My wife, 6 years ago, purchased a 32 inch 720P Sony LCD for about $2000. We just bought an LG 32 inch for $260 !!

I remember when the first 40 inch new technology TV's (can't remember if they were plasma or LCD) was $20,000!!

Love the advancement in technology.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I hear you. I bought the first 1080p TV in US which as a 40 inch Samsung LCD for $5,000! Then again, I am not sure what the difficulties in large OLEDs are so don't know how to predict the price curve.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Me too, I am simply amazed at what you can buy today for so little money!

* A good quality Panasonic or Samsung plasma 3D HDTV 65" can be now purchased for only $1,200! WoW!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Haven't hit the show floor but there is a downer on this from Sony. They announced the same thing as others but not calling it OLED but "Crystal" TV: http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33363_1-57...stal-led-display-at-ces/?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

Problem is that they are saying it is just a prototype and not going to ship for a while. Sadly that is what I thought I would happen. As the saying goes, "too good to be true!"

Hope to probe LG and Samsung people on the show floor in the next couple of days.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Then again Samsung is still saying second half this year. But for a model without name and price, I doubt it: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398590,00.asp

"LAS VEGAS – Samsung isn't going big with HDTVs or focusing on 3D technology like other companies at CES 2012 (though it has its fair share of both), but is instead going back to a technology that made a splash a few years ago but didn't see significant action: OLED screens. The company announced its first consumer-available Super OLED HDTV, an as-yet-unnamed 55-inch screen that will be available in the second half of this year...."

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
....and to $2,000 the following year and then $1,000 and then .....

I purchased a Samsung 50 inch plasma about 5 years ago for right at $2000. We just bought my wife's son one for $575. My wife, 6 years ago, purchased a 32 inch 720P Sony LCD for about $2000. We just bought an LG 32 inch for $260 !!

I remember when the first 40 inch new technology TV's (can't remember if they were plasma or LCD) was $20,000!!

Love the advancement in technology.

I know exactly what you mean .. I bought one of the first HD DVD for over $600 and thereafter a Pioneer BD Player fr over a $1000.. Recently picked up a Samsung BD PLayer with all the bell and whistles ( Internet, Netflix, Pandora, etc) and 3 D for $75 open box !! I didn't compare it to the Oppo BD I am presently using but I doubt there would be much difference in PQ ..
Back on topics ..
This set thickness (or thinness) is amazing ..

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Going to see the OLED display today but by all accounts everyone who has seen it including its 3D feature were left speechless.

Post!...Post!!!...POST!!!!! Let us know what you think. You've got a pretty great screen at home as i recall with a forward projector...i think you had one of those digital animation screenshots...a mouse in chef's clothes brewing a soup or something?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I saw all three. The LG was most accessible and in the open. Samsung was showing some screwy dual-screen demo on it. Sony had one unit. Overall, the picture quality is stunning.

They all insisted the units would ship in the second half but their eyes would tell a different story. It just didn't seem believable they way they would talk about it.

Then again, the did not have schedules for most of their flat panels! It is as if they had all agreed it is OK to show up at a show, display 50 new models and not think they need to provide pricing or schedule! Good news is that there is progress on existing technology. The edge-lit LED backlit LCD is getting quite good with a lot more regions, reducing its artifacts. The Samsungs were especially good.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The saga contiues..... http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33379_1-57...600-oled-tv-wins-best-of-ces/?tag=epicStories

"Of course, one of the two had to win Best of CES, and after lengthy discussions between Ty and me, we gave it to LG. The main reason has nothing to do with which one we think will give better picture quality, or even which feature set or design we like best. It's mainly because we got more information from LG at press time, including a model number and official shipping date (Q3). Samsung chose to hold these details back--perhaps until its traditional March product rollout--but CES is now.
I do believe both companies' claims that their OLED TVs will ship this year, but having been burned by products that shipped late or not at all after a CES announcement, I just think that the more public information a company is willing to divulge, the better."

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That would be quite a change if LG was going to take the lead in HDTVs (LCD LEDs & OLEDs).

The last few years, Samsung & Panasonic were the leaders (Plasmas & LCD LEDs).
And before that, Pioneer Elite Kuros (Plasmas).

Sony? Were they ever in the lead? ...In the 80s? Before? After?
Anyway, those years are long gone by now...

You gotta keep in touch with reality, in the NOW. :b

P.S. Funny how Sony always used different acronyms.
From ages ago to still now. And how they charge more, plus for the extras as well...
Do they think they are better?
* I'm glad that the winds are changing direction in our lives...

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The saga contiues..... http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33379_1-57...600-oled-tv-wins-best-of-ces/?tag=epicStories

"Of course, one of the two had to win Best of CES, and after lengthy discussions between Ty and me, we gave it to LG. The main reason has nothing to do with which one we think will give better picture quality, or even which feature set or design we like best. It's mainly because we got more information from LG at press time, including a model number and official shipping date (Q3). Samsung chose to hold these details back--perhaps until its traditional March product rollout--but CES is now.
I do believe both companies' claims that their OLED TVs will ship this year, but having been burned by products that shipped late or not at all after a CES announcement, I just think that the more public information a company is willing to divulge, the better."

Almost sounds to me like they wanted to give the Best In Show to Samsung.

Anyway, I'm glad that LG got the nod regardless, since now they have some major quality recognition, which means consumers have another viable option.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing