55 inch OLED TV from LG

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Latest tidbits on Samsung and LG OLED displays from Ray Soneira:http://www.displaymate.com/news.html

The LG and Samsung OLED HDTVs at the SID Show
Both LG and Samsung had prototypes of their flagship next generation 55 inch OLED TVs on display at the Society for Information Display SID Show in Boston June 5-7.

The LG 3D OLED TV with its running demo was absolutely stunning - visually it was the most impressive TV I have ever seen. And if you have read any of my Display Shoot-Out articles you know that I am a tough grader for displays and don't readily hand out compliments (for displays). On the flip side, this was a prototype unit and I was watching a manufacturer's demo - and all good demos are finessed to be seductive - and I admit to being seduced at the show. But in our DisplayMate Labs and Shoot-Out facilities everything is objective and we have our own suites of test patterns, test photos, test videos, and instrumentation, plus I become just like Mr. Spock, incapable of being swayed or seduced by human emotions... So I am looking forward to testing a production unit later this year...

LG OLED TV Technical details that impressed me:

1. IGZO: The LG OLED has an IGZO Metal Oxide Active Matrix backplane. You may recall that IGZO technology has been making headlines for months, first rumored to be the Retina Display for new iPad 3. It wasn't ready in time, so this was the first IGZO display I've seen.

2. Color Gamut: The LG OLED has a Color Gamut that is 118% of the Standard sRGB / Rec.709. That is somewhat larger than the Standard, and will produce images that are a bit on the vivid side - and some people like it that way - but hopefully LG will provide an option for an accurate 100% Standard Color Gamut for purists. The larger Color Gamut will also allow the TV to compensate for the loss of color saturation at high ambient light levels - we'll see if LG adds that functionality.

3. 3D OLED TV: The LG OLED is a 3D TV and it produced excellent 3D using LG's FPR technology that uses the same Passive Glasses that are found in most 3D movie theaters. The 3D image and picture quality were excellent - just as in my 3D TV Display Technology Shoot-Out.

4. White Sub-pixels: The LG TV uses WRGB OLEDs, meaning there are White sub-pixels in addition to the traditional Red, Green and Blue sub-pixel primaries for every single pixel (this isn't PenTile WRGB). Ordinarily I don't like White sub-pixels because they are used to artificially increase image brightness at the expense of color saturation and accuracy. It all depends on the color management strategy and most manufacturers do a poor job of it. LG assured me that they are mindful of this issue and that the primary function of the White sub-pixels is for producing bright white backgrounds for Apps and internet applications with text. I hope so...

5. Glossy Screen: The one thing I did not like on the LG OLED prototype was its glossy screen. Although the Screen Reflectance was relatively low, it was still a giant mirror and I could see everyone watching the TV in the booth whenever the images were dim or black. To be fair the TV was in a brightly lit area of the show and most people that buy an expensive high-quality TV like this one will put it in a home theater with controlled or reduced ambient lighting. A glossy mirror-like screen is fantastic for watching in total darkness, but very few people do that, and it's even dangerous as you can run into things when you get up... So I hope that LG adds some sort of haze finish and/or additional anti-reflection treatments.

Samsung had more than one OLED TV at the SID show:

The Samsung 3D OLED TV with its running demo was very nice but definitely not in the stunning category like the LG 3D OLED TV in my opinion. The running demo was mediocre and that might be the source of the problem. One surprising technical point - the Samsung OLED is using a Low Temperature Poly Silicon LTPS Active Matrix backplane, which is very expensive to manufacture. This first model is designed for showing off their OLED TV technology and almost certainly will be sold at a loss...

The Samsung 2D OLED TV was in my opinion horrendous because its color saturation was turned up so high that it was beyond gaudy and into visually repulsive territory in my opinion. Samsung has this thing about flaunting color saturation rather than flaunting color accuracy. They make excellent state-of-the-art display hardware, but when it comes to calibrating their own products they degrade the picture quality and accuracy with exaggerated marketing features and effects that are designed to make them stand out (scream) in stores and in marketing materials. To prove my point, the new Apple iPad 3 has a Samsung display that is perfectly calibrated by Apple and produces better picture quality and accuracy than any Samsung branded product that I have ever seen. See my predictions for the Apple Television below...

Pricing: The first generation of both the LG and Samsung 55 inch OLED TVs are predicted to cost $8,000 or more - so sales will be limited to early adopters with deep pockets. Like every other new technology the manufacturing costs and retail prices will fall over time. Eventually, the manufacturing costs for OLEDS will be lower than for LCDs because they don't require backlights and other optical components. But that will take years...

A Shoot-Out: Once both OLED TVs are in production it will be really interesting to do a side-by-side HDTV Shoot-Out. I can't wait...

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Guess I'll get to see some of them on the small OLED screens of the Sony HMZ 3D glasses. Just hook up the HDMI to the cable box.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Press release.

LG OLED TV Recognized By Top Industrial Designers
Published: Monday, Aug. 20, 2012 - 7:06 am
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/20/4741096/lg-oled-tv-recognized-by-top-industrial.html#storylink=cpy

OLED: What we know
by Geoffrey Morrison August 19, 2012 7:29 PM PDT
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57495108-221/oled-what-we-know/
Wow. OLED is just...wow. Seriously. OLED is way better than the best plasma, and makes the best LCD look like a cell phone screen circa 1998.

No OLED's on the LG website yet.
http://www.lg.com/us/search.lg

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Press release.

LG OLED TV Recognized By Top Industrial Designers
Published: Monday, Aug. 20, 2012 - 7:06 am
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/20/4741096/lg-oled-tv-recognized-by-top-industrial.html#storylink=cpy

OLED: What we know
by Geoffrey Morrison August 19, 2012 7:29 PM PDT
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57495108-221/oled-what-we-know/

No OLED's on the LG website yet.
http://www.lg.com/us/search.lg

Conclusion was though wait until price comes down. :)

And based on Amir's comments on what he saw at CES, the Q/C has to come up a notch or two.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Conclusion was though wait until price comes down. :)

And based on Amir's comments on what he saw at CES, the Q/C has to come up a notch or two.

For my eyes that TV was IMHO the BEST in Show at CES last year. I am not a 3D fan but I can say that there were absolutely no motion artifacts with the 3D and the imaging was every bit as good 20 feet to the side or rear as it was from in front of the screen. The word they gave us was between the 2nd-3rd quarter of this year so it is already late. MSRP that reps tickled our fancy with was between $6500 -$8000

The color for my eyes wes simply jaw dropping. Granted the feed had a lot to do with it however the OLED's on display as well in that auditorium didn't even come close. These included Samsung (decent) and Sony who IIRC was the innovator of the technology and introduced it at CES ~8-10 years ago on an 11" screen. This is 4mm thin. It disappears as you walk to it's side.

For my money, if that is the range in price on that TV count me in as the first in line to purchase one.

Apparently the LG technology for their OLED is quite different from the competition

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I'm still using a 31 inch CRT tube TV in my main system, but up in the bedroom recently upgraded to a 42" LCD by LG.

The motion blur is occasional on the LG LCD, but very noticeable when it does happen. My wife has no idea what I'm talking about and loves it.

I went to Costco for the first time today, my wife bought us a membership. Only one plasma on-line, none at the local store.

Considering how many people are on their 2nd and 3rd flat TV's, I think the prudent thing for me is to wait for the OLED to become the norm and drop in price. Then make the change in my main system. I think my CRT is going to last another 15 years, but the squeaking when I first start it up may change my mind.

The main driver to change out to a flat TV in my main system, is to flip the furniture around 180 degrees, put the TV above the fireplace and then have more room to test audition several speakers (I've been prototyping) at a time.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Very true Steve; you can now buy a nice Panasonic ST Series Plasma 65" for roughly a thou!
...Last year ST30 Series (not this year ST50 Series).

And some nice Plasmas from Samsung too for roughly $999 (65" Class).

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
George

flat screens are so inexpensive now that IMO there is no reason to keep that CRT

And frankly better by several of magnitude tHAN CRT ... No contest anymore especially the plasmas ... heck!! $500 will give you a better picture and leSs bulk so ...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for posting that. All the warning signs were there a CES for a product that was not ready to go into manufacturing in a few months. Nothing that big was ever demonstrated in OLEDs let alone being ready to manufacture. And of course there is always the market potential for a $10K TV. Better put those resources toward building 1080p phone displays....

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
UPDATE: 01/17/2013

Forget 4K Ultra HD TVs: I want an OLED TV
http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/forget-4k-ultra-hd-tvs--i-want-an-oled-tv-230337960.html
By James K. Willcox | Consumer Reports – 1 hour 42 minutes ago
Last week's Consumer Electronics Show was a great opportunity to check out the two newest TV technologies, Ultra HD and OLED—sometimes in side-by-side comparisons.

During a live webcast in which I was interviewed along with USA Today's Mike Snider, we were asked which of these new kinds of TVs we'd personally buy, if money weren't an issue.

I didn't have to think very long before replying, "OLED."

.................Of course, the next iteration of OLED TVs will be sets that also have 4K Ultra HD resolutions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing