20.x Crossover upgrade?

limniscate

Jul 16, 2016
Has anyone tried the new upgrade? I was quoted $5-7k on the 20.7 for the upgrade.

See below from Mick at Magnepan:

The MG___X upgrade program (through the Service Department) is an option for most Magnepan speakers.
The MG___X program

The general idea is to take the existing design of a given speaker, and simply, almost one-for-one, replace all of the components leading up to the driver, with superior ones. This yields a noticeable, graphable, and customer-awing improvement. Up to this point, every person who has received an “X” upgraded speaker, or even their unmarked predecessors and early partial upgrades and tests, has provided glowing reviews. Thus far the program has been unanimously well received across the board. There are certain model-specific features, but the MG___X Upgrade Program is at its core characterized by the following factors:

Better Capacitors:

All capacitors that aren’t already, are replaced with high quality, copper-rich, polypropylene capacitors [banks]. Each capacitor [and bank] used is individually tested to the hundredth such that left and right crossovers’ capacitances are within five hundredths. With the increased level of testing and decrease in tolerance, minor value tweaks are employed in some models resulting in fewer capacitors used and a smoother response overall.

Better Coils (Inductors):

All coils that aren’t already, are replaced with high-gauge, copper wire, air-core, bobbin wound coils [arrays]. Each coil [array] used is individually tested to the hundredth such that left and right crossovers’ inductances are within five hundredths. Model depended: with the above capacitance changes in mind, some values are minorly adjusted for smoother response overall.

Better Wiring:

All wiring (aside from the green (+) and yellow (-) wires for True Ribbon Tweeters) is replaced with 15ga or higher solid copper wire. Excess wire (for ease of assembly, for instance) is completely removed. Careful attention is paid to design, layout, and pathing of the crossover components such that wire lengths are short and the overall wire-mass is significantly reduced. Left and right crossover and nameplate impedances are ensured to be equivalent for ideal balance.

Better Connections:

All connections within the circuit, from the solder lug attached to the terminal screw on the nameplate, to the crossover board, to the driver terminal block, and back are soldered connections. Besides the terminal screw, solder lug, and jam nut connection on the nameplate, there are no mechanical connections used

Better Inputs:

All nameplate components are gold rather than nickel.

Appearance:

The appearance of an MG___X is not intended to be visually really any different from that of its non-X counterpart (aside from the gold nameplate components in situations where that wouldn’t already be stock). The crossover of some models may be visible, such as with the MG1.7x, and as such that will be noticeably different in a side-by-side test. The nameplate will also have a small red “X” after the model to denote that it is a par t of the X Upgrade program.

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
I had been told that this "X" upgrade would be introduced at Capitolfest. Whether that is actually going to happen, I couldn't say. But the source is someone closely associated with Magnepan.

As I am acquiring a pair of Magnepans soon, I wonder if this will be included in future units by the time I place my order.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is great! It's about time Magnepan spent a little attention and money on parts quality!

Hasse

Jan 11, 2016
I had been told that this "X" upgrade would be introduced at Capitolfest. Whether that is actually going to happen, I couldn't say. But the source is someone closely associated with Magnepan.

As I am acquiring a pair of Magnepans soon, I wonder if this will be included in future units by the time I place my order.
It will be included If you are willing to pay for it

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
My phrasing was clumsy. Let me re-phrase: Will this be the new 1.7 model, or will there continue to be a 1.7i and also a 1.7x?

Hasse

Jan 11, 2016
TMy phrasing was clumsy. Let me re-phrase: Will this be the new 1.7 model, or will there continue to be a 1.7i and also a 1.7x?
Yes, both the 1.7i and the 1.7X will be available. ”The idea is that the MG___X program will always be a tandem option with the main line”
I believe the new 2.7i (with ribbon tweeter) is making its debut at the capital audiofest nov 10-12.

Last edited:

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
Yes, both the 1.7i and the 1.7X will be available. ”The idea is that the MG___X program will always be a tandem option with the main line”
I believe the new 2.7i (with ribbon tweeter) is making its debut at the capital audiofest nov 10-12.
Thanks.
Yes, it is. And the 2.7i will cost $5995.

Magnepan also said there would still be a 1.7i ($2995) and then, for those as wants it, the 1.7x, which will cost an additional $2,000 to upgrade to the "A" designation. So, a brand new 1.7X will cost $5k, if the owner goes for that upgrade.
I'd probably just jump to the 2.7i as I don't have a pair yet. But then, I ask meself, will a 2.7i sound dramatically better than a 1.7x? Aye, there's the rub for them that's itchin' with curiosity.

Magnepan is certainly filling in the gaps here: 1.7, 1.7i, 1.7X, 2.7i. I imagine there'll be a 2.7X at some point, if not already!

Hasse

Jan 11, 2016
Thanks.
Yes, it is. And the 2.7i will cost $5995.

Magnepan also said there would still be a 1.7i ($2995) and then, for those as wants it, the 1.7x, which will cost an additional $2,000 to upgrade to the "A" designation. So, a brand new 1.7X will cost $5k, if the owner goes for that upgrade.
I'd probably just jump to the 2.7i as I don't have a pair yet. But then, I ask meself, will a 2.7i sound dramatically better than a 1.7x? Aye, there's the rub for them that's itchin' with curiosity.

Magnepan is certainly filling in the gaps here: 1.7, 1.7i, 1.7X, 2.7i. I imagine there'll be a 2.7X at some point, if not already!
I believe you can order the X-upgraded 2.7i as well. If it’s worth the money, who knows???
I would go for the 2.7i, it has the ribbon tweeter!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing