Mcintosh tube amp MC 2301 - detecting bad tube?

Elftrader

Jan 16, 2022
I keep getting blinking red lights on my 2301 mac amplifier and hear it's probably due to a bad tube. How do I figure out which tube is bad? Or should I just replace them all, which would be very costly.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
1. Double check to make sure you don’t have a short across any of the output terminals (like a stray strand of speaker wire). Check at both the amp and the speaker.

2. If it’s not an intermittent short at the output, it is probably a bad tube. If all 8 KT88s were installed at the same time, it would be a good idea to replace them all. If you have a pair of 2301s and one is not misbehaving, swap the tubes one at a time amp to amp. This is tedious because you have to unpower and allow cooling for each swap. But when the problem moves to the other amp, you know you’ve found the bad tube.

3. You could buy a tube tester and test them.

4. The 12AT7s typically have a longer life, but you can swap them amp to amp too if needed to check them too.

5. If it’s been a few years, tube replacement is necessary maintenance and should be expected by tube aficionados. Doing them all at once freshens the whole sound. But first, be sure you don’t have strand of speaker wire intermittently arcing.

Reactions: gadawg58

Elftrader

Jan 16, 2022
Thanks for explanation. I replaced one tube on one side of one of the amps and the problem seems to have gone away. This is a fairly new amp. So I hope all these tubes will last for quite a while at this point.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Thanks for explanation. I replaced one tube on one side of one of the amps and the problem seems to have gone away. This is a fairly new amp. So I hope all these tubes will last for quite a while at this point.
That’s great!
If the tubes are relatively new, replacing one at a time is cost effective if, as in the case of the 2301, tube matching isn’t critical. You probably won’t have to replace another for a good while.
Enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing