Choosing a DAC with a good VC - Lampizator Pacific vs EMM Labs DV2 vs MSB Premier

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I love Pacific, now with new engine to make it PAC 2. What is very fascinating feature for me, and I never thought that this feature will make it interesting, is the tube rolling. I could not believe when I replaced 6cN7 with double E83F($30) with Takacz adapter what sound was coming out, so much more resolution and transparency, and that is just one tube replaced, now there are other tubes 242,45, PX25 etc and their equivalents/alternatives from many producers, then the front tube 5u4G, 274b or 5c3s, endless combination to play with. Eacch combination sounds diffrent and not just by little. Most human beings in modern society get used to great life and get bored quickly and want something better, little latter they realize that better may not be actualy better and want to return something they abadonded in the past, same thing is happening in audio, here when you want change you got it, just replace one or 2 tubes( does not cost fortune) and you have a different component and sound. This happened to me when I owned Mola Tambaqui, great dac, but was still the same, you could just play with digital cable, power cables or more costly replacements of your gear or speakers. Here you just replace tube for few dollars and you have your change. :D This is just incredible feature of Pacific. Pacific rules!

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
This thread is getting to be a few months old. Have you, @NightTiger , bought a DAC yet?

I have been using my Chord Dave for volume control for a long time. I sense no differene between volume control in use and bypassed.

I just bought a Lampizator GG3 and the volume control is excellent. and using the various digital inputs, it works great as my preamp. (I don't do vinyl).

Look into the GG3.

Jerry

NightTiger

Jul 30, 2019
Yes, three months have passed, and no, I haven’t bought a DAC yet.
I decided to add the Lampizator Poseidon to the list for consideration and wait for reviews from first real owners, although the Poseidon is more expensive than my budget.
It was supposed to be available for order from October, and I hoped to be able to read buyers reviews in early November. Meanwhile Lukasz seems to have had a false start, the availability of Poseidon was first postponed to November, then to December, and only a few days ago I saw the first real, not demo, photos of Poseidon on Facebook.
Well, after waiting for so long, I can wait another month until several real reviews appear and decide what to buy. By the way, GG3 is also one of the options for me if I fail to get Poseidon at a price that suits me. I read that it has improved a lot compared to GG2 and sounds no worse than the first Pacific, so this is also an option. At the same time, Poseidon, as a DAC with a better preamp stage, would probably be the sweet spot of choice for me.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I have listened to the Lampizator Poseidon extensively. We used it at the recent CAF show along with a Trafomatic Rhapsody SE integrated powering the excellent Songer Audio field coil loudspeakers. The basis of the new DAC is the Poseidon pre-amplifier Lukaz all our efforts at a state of the art line stage. Consider the Poseidon a near state of the art DAC (IMO only the Horizon bests it) with a no compromise full analog pre-amplifier built in! If you can live with the limited number of inputs you simply cannot do better.

NightTiger

Jul 30, 2019
If you can live with the limited number of inputs you simply cannot do better.

Thanks, I can definitely live with the amount of preamp input on Poseidon. The only negative point is the lack of an I2S digital input, I would like it to be like in the Horizon, but I can live without it.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Reactions: gleeds and keithc

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
@NightTiger While conceptually I2S makes sense, it hasn't been consistently implemented through the industry and IMHO it's value is greatly exaggerated by those trying to sell coponents that have it. These same marketers have also convinced some people that USB is horrible. Trust Lampizator to implement their inputs correctly. Lately I use AES/EBU since that is the favorite of my Grimm Streamer.

Reactions: gleeds

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Playback Design Dreams Series

Reactions: Hyperion

DMSB

Industry Expert
Aug 9, 2017
I have spoken with you years ago about adjusting the gain. MSB use to suggest adjusting the gain. Doesn't loweing from full smooth out the sound? Takes an edge off. It seems to me, DAC technology should be good enough now you should not need to adjust volume to alter the tone. I get the OP wants to direct drive the amp. That is different from what your saying.

FWIW I had a Bel Canto dac with volume and it sucked. But that was the days of slicing the sine wave to decrease the output.
We suggest adjusting the gain not because it changes the sound of our DACs, it doesn't, its because the input circuits on many (most) preamps (and amps) have excessive distortion at higher input levels that can be significantly reduced by lowering the input voltage of the preamp... When I listen critically for development in our room I always try to get as close to full level as possible by adjusting the gain switch on our amps so as to add the least amount of noise, but our amplifiers do not add excess distortion with larger input signals so it works in this case. Gain has the unfortunate property of amplifing signal and noise together so adding the mininim amount adds the minimum amount of noise.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing