Best amplification for Wilson Audio Sascha DAW

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
I went to a demo of the Sasha DAW using Trilogy 995R amplifiers. They are truly amazing. 55W Class A valves and 200W Class A/B solid state. This was at the main Wilson dealer in the UK, who stocks DartZeel, Macintosh and D'Agostino. The front end was top end Brinkmann/Lyra (Dr. Matthias Lück of Brinkmann was doing the presentation) and a Soulution pre-amp. That demo was part of why I ended up buying a pair of Wilson myself.

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
Excuse me for asking but you are looking to replace your Mac because?

Absent having a definitive list of desired sonic improvements with a new integrated, you may very well be wasting your time and money. FYI, I have had my Pass Labs amp for 15 years (with three different speaker systems) because I have had nothing to complain about. Just a thought.

I wish you the best in your search.
... well - that`s one more possibility, that none of the above strike me as that much "better", that I end up keeping my Macs... then I`ll have a lot of money to invest in wine and vinyl... sounds like a good alternative outcome... ;-) Truly, I very much like the sound I`m getting and I feel that the Macs drive the DAWs with ease and they play very musical and colorful... I`ve never understood all the bashing for McIntosh... it`s just that I`m curious if things really get "noticeably" better still, objectively and to my personal taste... if so, I will invest, if not - it`s more wine and vinyl!

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I`ve never understood all the bashing for McIntosh... it`s just that I`m curious if things really get "noticeably" better still, objectively and to my personal taste
The store where I got my Boulder amp and Wilson speakers also sold McIntosh. They did a lot of demos with Wilson and McIntosh. I heard the pairing several times and they sounded pretty good. But demos to sell the Wilson speakers were usually done with the Boulder 2060 amp, it made the speakers sound a lot better than the McIntosh.

Reactions: Down Under

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
The store where I got my Boulder amp and Wilson speakers also sold McIntosh. They did a lot of demos with Wilson and McIntosh. I heard the pairing several times and they sounded pretty good. But demos to sell the Wilson speakers were usually done with the Boulder 2060 amp, it made the speakers sound a lot better than the McIntosh.
... well, I live in Germany and I can`t help but feel that peoples listening habits are either very different, depending on your whereabouts, or other reasons come into account... anyhow, the appreciation and acceptance of McIntsoh in Germany (and in Europe - I believe) seems to be a lot higher than in the US, even though the products retail at 30-40% higher prices than in the US due to import, higher tax and distribution.

They are sold by the best retailers and paired with the best products.

I am really curious what I will find when my comparison journey begins... exciting times ahead :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY

Cheers!!!

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
... well, I live in Germany and I can`t help but feel that peoples listening habits are either very different, depending on your whereabouts, or other reasons come into account... anyhow, the appreciation and acceptance of McIntsoh in Germany (and in Europe - I believe) seems to be a lot higher than in the US, even though the products retail at 30-40% higher prices than in the US due to import, higher tax and distribution.

They are sold by the best retailers and paired with the best products.

I am really curious what I will find when my comparison journey begins... exciting times ahead :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY

Cheers!!!
I spent a few minutes at my dealer for the UK launch of the latest Wilson speakers (Alexia V?) and they were using DartZeel. I'm pretty certain that would have been because the Wilson UK distributor also distributes DartZeel and they were probably in attendance, so it would not have looked good using McIntosh, which they get through another distributor.
www.absolutesounds.com/our_brands.php

Go back a couple years to the Sasha DAW review linked in this post, done with the Trilogy 995R, which were described as "spectacularly effective".

Last edited:
Reactions: skinnyfla

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
I ran my Sasha’s when I had them with a pair of McIntosh MC601’s and thought it sounded great. If you are looking for a slightly warmer presentation the MC2301’s might be worth a listen if you can find any. They are wonderful amps and would also drive the Sasha’s well. A bit on the warmer side for sure. Just another option and agree nothing wrong with McIntosh for sure! I ended up with a pair of BAT Rex II mono’s and matching preamp before recently placing my order for the VAC Statement components but the MC2301’s were very similar to the BAT gear I’ve enjoyed over the past several years … just got a crazy good deal on the BAT gear is why I went that way. Either way just take a good listen for yourself because everything you’re considering are really good amps … just different flavors .. Good luck and have fun!

George

Axel C

Nov 30, 2022
NYC
I’m not sure where you are but here in the USA, I’ve been a Wilson owner since the WP6 was new (~2001), and now with the Alexia 2. I previously used Mark Levinson reference gear (No. 33 amps & 32 pre), but the past 3 years with Pass Labs XA60.8 and their XS Pre - the combo is extraordinary with a full range of music genres. Cabling is all Nordost Valhalla 2 or Tyr 2.

Importantly, my room is 21 x 21’ with a ceiling peaking at 24’ on center (~7500 cubic ft) with excellent acoustics.

While everyone’s sonic preferences can vary, I value Pass’ reputation for exceptional reliability and customer service, excellent build and finish quality, and value (and deep resale market). Of course I think their musicality is on par with anything I’ve heard and it’s the nature of high end audio that others will prefer different gear. But among solid state, Pass should be in consideration for anyone looking to pair with Wilson Audio.

Reactions: Brf

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
Gotta agree with an earlier comment about Nagra, put either the Classic integrated or the Classic pre/power on your list. This combination is beautiful.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
anyhow, the appreciation and acceptance of McIntsoh in Germany (and in Europe - I believe) seems to be a lot higher than in the US
The store sold way more McIntosh product than Boulder or any other electronics brand they had. McIntosh is highly regarded in the US, however, is not in the same performance/price market as Boulder or other brands being discussed.

rangda

Mar 24, 2022
... sounds interesting - I always thought ARS was owed by McIntosh and therefore very similar on sound...
ARC is not in any way related to McIntosh. Regarding the sound of the products, I know people who like ARC and I know people who like McIntosh, I don't know anyone that likes both. If you like what you have then I'm not sure you would find the sound of Audio Research to your taste.

Of your short list I have heard the D'Agostino Progression and Boulder 1100 series back to back on the same system in the same room, speakers were Alexia 1's. I preferred the Boulder but you might well prefer the D'Agostino. Rather than repeat my impressions I'll refer you to the post I made when they were much fresher in my head.

Reactions: chuck

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
Adding Gryphon Diablo 333 to the list - high contender.

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
I ran my Sasha’s when I had them with a pair of McIntosh MC601’s and thought it sounded great. If you are looking for a slightly warmer presentation the MC2301’s might be worth a listen if you can find any. They are wonderful amps and would also drive the Sasha’s well. A bit on the warmer side for sure. Just another option and agree nothing wrong with McIntosh for sure! I ended up with a pair of BAT Rex II mono’s and matching preamp before recently placing my order for the VAC Statement components but the MC2301’s were very similar to the BAT gear I’ve enjoyed over the past several years … just got a crazy good deal on the BAT gear is why I went that way. Either way just take a good listen for yourself because everything you’re considering are really good amps … just different flavors .. Good luck and have fun!

George
… sounds like a fantastic system you own

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I had the original Wilson Sasha along with the original Alexia and the Alexia 2s. Over that period there were two amplifiers that stood out: the ARC 250SEs and the Lamm M1.2 Reference monoblocks.

There was a time both McInstosh and Audio Research were under the Fine Sounds Group who were owned by Quadrivio, an Italian company holding company. Fine Sounds is now the McIntosh Group and owns Sonus Faber and Sumiko. ARC is now a wholly independent company. Imo McInstosh and ARC do not sound similar.

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
... well, here`s a little "dilemma" - I`ve done some first listening, not in my room with my equipment but still in comparison. Now I know what my system gives me and what it sounds like and I know what I`m looking for. I heard the Gryphon Diablo 333 (compared to newer McIntosh but not with the Saschas) and the darTZeel 8550 mk II on the Saschas (but not compared with McIntosh). The Diablo 333 hat incredible punch and bass control (even compared to the Mcintosh separates) but it does sound too clinical/analytical in the mid- and treble (I would even say it can get harsh). The darTZeel has that midrange and treble magic everyone states, but it lacks authority in the bass (not the punch and weight I am used to, even with my existing McInstosh C52/M452). SO basically one (darTZeel) was better in mids and treble (better than the Gryphon and better than my existing McIntosh) and the other (Gryphon) was better in the bass (better than the daRTzeel and my existing McIntosh). BUT - my existing McIntosh combines the weight and punch in the bass and colorful reproduction in the mids and at least a never harsh sounding treble and - so that none of the others blew the McIntosh I curretly have "out of the water".

It would take a combination of the bass authority of the Gryphon and the mids and treble of the darTZeel to make the right combination and to serioulsy bring me to sell my McIntosh setup and invest in something new... so the search goes on...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
... well, here`s a little "dilemma" - I`ve done some first listening, not in my room with my equipment but still in comparison. Now I know what my system gives me and what it sounds like and I know what I`m looking for. I heard the Gryphon Diablo 333 (compared to newer McIntosh but not with the Saschas) and the darTZeel 8550 mk II on the Saschas (but not compared with McIntosh). The Diablo 333 hat incredible punch and bass control (even compared to the Mcintosh separates) but it does sound too clinical/analytical in the mid- and treble (I would even say it can get harsh). The darTZeel has that midrange and treble magic everyone states, but it lacks authority in the bass (not the punch and weight I am used to, even with my existing McInstosh C52/M452). SO basically one (darTZeel) was better in mids and treble (better than the Gryphon and better than my existing McIntosh) and the other (Gryphon) was better in the bass (better than the daRTzeel and my existing McIntosh). BUT - my existing McIntosh combines the weight and punch in the bass and colorful reproduction in the mids and at least a never harsh sounding treble and - so that none of the others blew the McIntosh I curretly have "out of the water".

It would take a combination of the bass authority of the Gryphon and the mids and treble of the darTZeel to make the right combination and to serioulsy bring me to sell my McIntosh setup and invest in something new... so the search goes on...
Great read...I am not surprised by your findings having spent a lot of time with Gryphon separates, some Mc back in the day and listened to the earlier generation of the smaller Dartz. You will need to consider the bigger Gryphon separates to bring the mellifluous treble and mids t appears you seek. I am told the Humboldt integrated is quite good if you are only on integrateds that are powerful. Perhaps PIlium Leonidas?

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
... thing is, at the moment I have zero harshness in my system and yes, I am looking for ways to improve, but not at the price of adding any cold, analytical or harsh tones. Also I need strong / powerful bass, as I listen to a lot of rather "rock-orientated" music... so the search goes on...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
... thing is, at the moment I have zero harshness in my system and yes, I am looking for ways to improve, but not at the price of adding any cold, analytical or harsh tones. Also I need strong / powerful bass, as I listen to a lot of rather "rock-orientated" music... so the search goes on...
Definitely would recommend you hear Gryphon's pure Class A amps. Mephisto particularly.

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
... I have thought about maybe upgrading step by step, say preamp first, then poweramp, or the other way around... but then there`d be mixed McIntosh + xy components... anyone have any experience with going that way and - out of curiosity - where would the greater differences be heared, pre or power?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
... I have thought about maybe upgrading step by step, say preamp first, then poweramp, or the other way around... but then there`d be mixed McIntosh + xy components... anyone have any experience with going that way and - out of curiosity - where would the greater differences be heared, pre or power?
I do not know Gryphon preamps myself. I know 'of them' having spoken with fellow Gryphon amp owners. The amp has a very strong affect on systems, taking control of them with quite a signature grip. That ties quite well to your desire for great bass.

My gut says if you are taking steps, go with Gryphon amp first.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing