Choosing a DAC with a good VC - Lampizator Pacific vs EMM Labs DV2 vs MSB Premier

NightTiger

Jul 30, 2019
I've been reading this forum for quite a long time and now it's my time to ask.

I'm looking for opinions on choosing a new DAC for my home system.
For the past couple of years I have been using a combo of the Aqua LinQ streamer and the Aqua Formula xHD Rev2 DAC. An excellent combination, I would continue to use it further, but recently I decided to do what I had long wanted, namely, instead of an integrated Manley tube amplifier, I bought two Wavac tube monoblocks.
So I now needed a preamp/remote volume control. I used to use the volume control built into the Manley amp, but now I can't.

Before the Aqua Formula DAC, I had a Lampizator Golden Atlantic DAC and I remembered how convenient it was to use its volume control, setting the proper level on the Manley amplifier and then using only the remote volume control in the DAC. Therefore, I decided, as I have only one digital source, instead of adding a preamplifier to my system to go again along the same path. That is, replace the DAC for another one, with a built-in volume control and, at the same time raising the level of the DAC, if possible.
At the moment, I can’t afford to buy a DAC which is attractive to me in new condition at full price, and therefore I plan to sell my Aqua Formula and get about 10k for it, add another 5k as a maximum and buy a DAC within 15k usd / euro on the aftermarket.

Based on what I've know about DACs and heard at some audio exhibitions, I have a shortlist of three DACs in this price range and with a good volume control (which is a must and specific of this thread):

1) Lampizator Pacific first generation (or Golden Gate 2),
2) EMM Labs DV2,
3) MSB Premier.

dCS Rossini is not on this list because the volume control isn't good enough (at least that's my impression, although I could be wrong) and the CH Precision DAC is above the target price range.

Unfortunately, where I live, it is now difficult to organize a test at home of any of these DACs through dealers. I'll try to do this through local friends, but I'm not sure how it will work.

Therefore, I am asking for opinions from those who have had the opportunity to directly compare any pair of these DACs, which of them would you prefer and why. I've owned a Lampizator GA before and liked its sound signature, but I'm trying to avoid confirmation bias when choosing a new DAC and am open to any opinions.

Regards,
Marat

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
You shall also consider Ideon Ion.

I had auditioned both Absolute and Ion at my home system.

Although, Absolute sounds very balanced with no serious faults, Idon could be better value at 20K$ approacing around 90% of performance with nice volume control.

Last edited:
Reactions: NightTiger

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Marat, there should be a number of very good condition Pacific's available on the pre-owned market as Lampizator will be releasing a replacement for the Pacific named the Poseidon shortly. Your price target should be met and as far as I am concerned the Pacifics analog output stage is hard to beat.

Is a DHT DAC usable with a variety of tubes for voicing too much of a good thing? I'm not sure, but I absolutely loved the gorgeous tone and bold dynamics of the Pacific when used in my system with WestminsterLabs SS electronics. If you have any trouble finding one in the EU, call Fred Ainsley at Lampizator NA who is a prince of a guy and will surely assist you. Good luck!

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I cant comment on EMM labs but can on the other 2
MSB new stuff has a good sound has qualities of analog and as Lampi also has analog qualities this gets them close.
vol is a must have on anyone’s dac list for reasons I won’t go into now. the Lampi lineup has varying degrees of depth and styles
I think this better suits your chances on liking one. Tube rolling really makes any lampi feel better as you choose in a customizable way.
Used past flagships is great.
I would recommend a used one and also get a demo of one or two models.
the set types and el34 types are different and one may suite you better.
ask lampi for choices and how things work on demo stuff
my two cents anyway

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
The LampizatOr Pacific is a very difficult DAC to beat and in recent months we've become very aware of some exciting NOS tubes which bring the DAC to levels way beyond it's already excellent stock state... The amount of SQ left on the table can be shocking and you have the future upgrade path of sending it in for Pacific 2 updates as well.

NightTiger

Jul 30, 2019
You shall also consider Ideon Ion.

I had auditioned both Absolute and Ion at my home system.

Although, Absolute sounds very balanced with no serious faults, Idon could be better value at 20K$ approacing around 90% of performance with nice volume control.

Thanks, I've never heard of them before and have read a few reviews about them. However, they are not represented on our market and I don’t think it’s a good idea to be a pioneer. But anyway, thanks for expanding my knowledge.

NightTiger

Jul 30, 2019
Marat, there should be a number of very good condition Pacific's available on the pre-owned market as Lampizator will be releasing a replacement for the Pacific named the Poseidon shortly. Your price target should be met and as far as I am concerned the Pacifics analog output stage is hard to beat.

I have the same thoughts, after the appearance of Horizon, they had a lot of used Pacifics in stock as a result of the trade-in program. Some of them are still available. In the case of the imminent release of Poseidon, a similar situation may occur. In any case, there is only a month left to Poseidon, and I can definitely wait.

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
It appears that there are 'DACs of the week' - part of the hobby, I guess.

As a contrarian, I suggest something from a venerable company, the Benchmark Media Systems DAC 3 L. It comes with a volume control and a remote.

Last edited:

NightTiger

Jul 30, 2019
It appears that there are 'DACs of the week' - part of the hobby, I guess.

As a contrarian, I suggest something from a venerable company, the Benchmark Media Systems DAC 3 L. It comes with a volume control and a remote.

Thanks, but I see no reason why this DAC should be considered as a rival for the Pacific or DV2, or my current Aqua Formula

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Unfortunately, where I live, it is now difficult to organize a test at home of any of these DACs through dealers. I'll try to do this through local friends, but I'm not sure how it will work.
My advice is see which DACs you can get to audition in your system and pick from those. We all can tell you how great DAC X is, but that is to our ears. If you can't get a certain DAC to audition in your system, simply remove it from the list.

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
FWIW given experience with well-engineered Meitner products I think the DV2 is a sensible contender. I especially like his emphasis on DSD/DXD. The DV2 might be a treat in your tube system.

Reactions: NightTiger

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
I have never auditioned the MSB, but I am completely satisfied with my EMM Labs DV2 for the last couple of years.
I am connecting it directly to Rowland 925 amps with spectacular results!
Also was informed that an update will be available in the next 6 months!

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
vol is a must have on anyone’s dac list for reasons I won’t go into now.
I have spoken with you years ago about adjusting the gain. MSB use to suggest adjusting the gain. Doesn't loweing from full smooth out the sound? Takes an edge off. It seems to me, DAC technology should be good enough now you should not need to adjust volume to alter the tone. I get the OP wants to direct drive the amp. That is different from what your saying.

FWIW I had a Bel Canto dac with volume and it sucked. But that was the days of slicing the sine wave to decrease the output.

NightTiger

Jul 30, 2019
My advice is see which DACs you can get to audition in your system and pick from those. We all can tell you how great DAC X is, but that is to our ears. If you can't get a certain DAC to audition in your system, simply remove it from the list.

Thank you. I may be able to get the DV2 to my home for a short time, just a couple of days, but even that is much better than nothing.
It doesn't work with Pacific yet. From the Lampizer's DACs, it might be possible to get a GG2 for day or two, just to understand the sound vector in the current environment, since I listened to my GA with a different amplifier and half of the cables have been changed since then. I can also take Baltic 4 for an audition if nothing else works out.
I just don't want the choice to be reduced to just one EMM Labs only because I can't hear Pacific for myself.

Reactions: christoph

NightTiger

Jul 30, 2019
FWIW given experience with well-engineered Meitner products I think the DV2 is a sensible contender. I especially like his emphasis on DSD/DXD. The DV2 might be a treat in your tube system.

Thank you. To be honest, at first my absentee favorite was Pacific. But the more I read different opinions about DV2, the more I like it. I think that at the moment for me this is a truly neutral choice, without any absentee preferences, and everything will depend on how and what I manage to listen to at home.

NightTiger

Jul 30, 2019
I have never auditioned the MSB, but I am completely satisfied with my EMM Labs DV2 for the last couple of years.

Thank you, I didn’t know that DV2 was planned to be updated soon, I’ll keep this fact in my mind when I make my final decision

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I am connecting it directly to Rowland 925 amps with spectacular results!

Don’t audition an MSB anywhere near there top tiers
You will very likely have to buy or or be depressed lol. but most lampi dacs like a pac get you there at a fraction in cost

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
I found that I like what the EMM Labs do moreso than MSB at comparable price. The general signature of DV2/DA2 is extremely detailed, fast, smooth, and emphasis on swirly micro dynamics and detail over macrodynamics, with zero hard edges. With Shunyata Omega cables it sounds pretty unreal.

MSB in comparison is warmer/more colored, more sharp digital edges, and the sound flows together more in time, it's kind of gooey. Whereas with DV2 timing events are very separated with the high timing precision. Maybe that makes MSB a little more calm and less analytical at times, but the DV2 has a better digital to analog rendering IMO.

I suspect I might like Pacific the best, but it's been a while since I heard a Lampi. At that time, it was the most holographic and straight off the mixing board sounding, at least for DSD.

worldtime

Apr 14, 2021
I actually ab compared aqua formula and emmlabs dv2, and my preference was aqua. They have similar qualities in every aspec, but aqua has slightly softer sounds that I prefer. However, I didn’t buy any, since I went with Esoteric K1x /clock at the end.
pacific has very unique sound signature, I would use golden, velvet to describe it. Definitely not neutral in most people minds. But I like it very much. If your system needs some tube to add some flavor, using pacific will be a good try.
Msb premier with ps is a fantastic dac. It just sounds right in every way, most analog and natural sounding in my experience. instruments are layered in depth, so 3D sound staging. Slightly warm, full of details but not analytical
MSB is definitely my next dac to replace K1x in the future.

Dave777tx

Sep 8, 2023
Texas
I've been reading this forum for quite a long time and now it's my time to ask.

I'm looking for opinions on choosing a new DAC for my home system.
For the past couple of years I have been using a combo of the Aqua LinQ streamer and the Aqua Formula xHD Rev2 DAC. An excellent combination, I would continue to use it further, but recently I decided to do what I had long wanted, namely, instead of an integrated Manley tube amplifier, I bought two Wavac tube monoblocks.
So I now needed a preamp/remote volume control. I used to use the volume control built into the Manley amp, but now I can't.

Before the Aqua Formula DAC, I had a Lampizator Golden Atlantic DAC and I remembered how convenient it was to use its volume control, setting the proper level on the Manley amplifier and then using only the remote volume control in the DAC. Therefore, I decided, as I have only one digital source, instead of adding a preamplifier to my system to go again along the same path. That is, replace the DAC for another one, with a built-in volume control and, at the same time raising the level of the DAC, if possible.
At the moment, I can’t afford to buy a DAC which is attractive to me in new condition at full price, and therefore I plan to sell my Aqua Formula and get about 10k for it, add another 5k as a maximum and buy a DAC within 15k usd / euro on the aftermarket.

Based on what I've know about DACs and heard at some audio exhibitions, I have a shortlist of three DACs in this price range and with a good volume control (which is a must and specific of this thread):

1) Lampizator Pacific first generation (or Golden Gate 2),
2) EMM Labs DV2,
3) MSB Premier.

dCS Rossini is not on this list because the volume control isn't good enough (at least that's my impression, although I could be wrong) and the CH Precision DAC is above the target price range.

Therefore, I am asking for opinions from those who have had the opportunity to directly compare any pair of these DACs, which of them would you prefer and why. I've owned a Lampizator GA before and liked its sound signature, but I'm trying to avoid confirmation bias when choosing a new DAC and am open to any opinions.

Regards,
Marat
I think the Poseidon will be the right answer, I was at the presentation and it was really impressive, It is a Line Stage and comes with a DAC, from what you describe that’s exactly what you need. Good luck!! Those are my 2 cents

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing