Best amplification for Wilson Audio Sascha DAW

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
ARC 160 M controls the sasha DAW very good.,i heard them at the Brussels show
The dutch importer of ARC Wilson has an expirience center.
Sounded indeed a lot better then the typical Wilson d agostino Dcs set up.

I ll be hearing D agostino / relentless again next weekend.
Pilium sounded nice too , although i have limited experience with the brand

Attachments

• 20231111_113505.jpg
    20231111_113505.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231111_120817.jpg
    20231111_120817.jpg
    935.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20231111_113457.jpg
    20231111_113457.jpg
    737.8 KB · Views: 11

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
I would not say arc are better than d’agostino +dcs , but different. Question of taste. When you see all tubes in an amp arc, and after a certain time you need to change doubt, or one of them failed, I prefer than a good Class A amp.fyi, I had an arc preamp.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Pilium I have never heard before… care to share any experience on sound signature/characteristics? Always great to learn about new brands… cheers
Always hard to describe a “sound signature” without comparisons. And as I represent Pilium here in NW USA, I want to be kind to competing brands. You mentioned the DartZeel and I had a Dart amp here briefly and would say, among the other brands mentioned up-thread, the Pilium is probably closer to that sound, but certainly the Pilium has all the grunt, grip, and control in the bass one would ever want and is unflinching when faced with any speaker load. But there is a “liquidity” to the Pilium sound I find absent in the likes of many Euro brands like Solution or CH Precision. Pilium is a very neutral sound signature, and for sure will be ”faster” and “tighter” than Mcintosh (imho) which when I have heard is a little softer and not as quick on transient attack.

I felt the Audio Research was also more “dynamic” than McIntosh when I have heard it. I once took a friend for a road trip to hear the Wilson Sabrina at the dealer and the Sabrinas were setup with McIntosh. Again I found the McIntosh somewhat soft in comparison. Both my friend and I came away thinking the amp didn’t really make the speakers stand up and get noticed. That would never be the issue with Pilium, every speaker I have heard them with I get the impression I am hearing everything the speaker is capable of and really no “sound signature” of the amps themselves.

Pilium dealers in EU can be found here: https://www.piliumaudio.com/where-to-buy/

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
… basically saying, that if you want something that plays significantly better than the McIntosh, you need to spend a lot of money but then you might aswell add the bigger Wilsons… am I understanding that right?… and then there is still the question of „personal taste“…
The way it worked for me was I had B&W 802D with a Classe CA2200 amp, that was perfectly fine, but wanted better sound. Listened to a bunch of amps and the Boulder 2060 was the one that was way better so I got one even though it cost twice what I had originally planned to spend. Indeed, it made the 802Ds sound dramatically better -- night and day difference. But now I had an end game amp that would drive any speaker. So when a pair of used Wilson Alexandria X2S2s about six months later were at the local dealer ... I already had the amp. So eventually I traded my 802Ds and got the speakers, too. The Sasha DAW are great speakers so you might be done with a Boulder 2160. Just that having an amp like that removes a barrier to moving up in speakers.

Dishman442

Mar 14, 2024
Oklahoma US
4 plus months later, what did you decide? You sounded like your list was full, or I would have suggested the Pass Labs class A monoblocks. There are multiple choices, with tubelike presentation while maintaining strong bass control, plus they are tuned to be extremely good at soundstage depth and width.

Reactions: skinnyfla

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
4 plus months later, what did you decide? You sounded like your list was full, or I would have suggested the Pass Labs class A monoblocks. There are multiple choices, with tubelike presentation while maintaining strong bass control, plus they are tuned to be extremely good at soundstage depth and width.
… still not found anything that I like significantly better - as I said before, considering all the „bashing“ that is going on towards McIntosh I thought this would be clear… turns out, that I like the McIntosh quite a lot, especially at their price point.. will probably have to spend a lot more to make a bigger boat that floats to my likings… maybe also because of my musical tastes, i am not very „audiophile“ but much more in the „music fan“ camp coming from subcultures and such… I like a sound that`s warm and colorful in the mids, has zero sharpness in the highs and tight/strong/rythmic in the bass… plus I do like a gig soundstage… CH precision for example is always considered a lot better than McIntsoh - now that may be so, but not for what I personally like… so „better“ in an objective sense is not always better “subjectively“ - personal taste plays a major role…

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
… as I live in Germany, I might also look out for some european brands…

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
If you are enjoying what you are presently using, why not just keep doing so. Everyone will have an opinion but it’s your system, nobody else’s.

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
If you are enjoying what you are presently using, why not just keep doing so. Everyone will have an opinion but it’s your system, nobody else’s.
… a thought that`s growing on me… ;-)

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
… as I live in Germany, I might also look out for some european brands…
If you want something with tubes I would look to Italy. Otherwise in Germany acoustic arts amp.

Last edited:
Reactions: skinnyfla

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
will probably have to spend a lot more to make a bigger boat that floats to my likings… maybe also because of my musical tastes, i am not very „audiophile“ but much more in the „music fan“ camp coming from subcultures and such… I like a sound that`s warm and colorful in the mids, has zero sharpness in the highs and tight/strong/rythmic in the bass… plus I do like a gig soundstage
This is a different approach to how I chose my amp. I chose a few test recordings that should sound quite different. Recordings that should sound warm and colorful in the mids and recordings that don't to see if the amp made them sound the way the musicians/engineers intended. If a recording has sharpness in the highs, I want to hear that sharpness. I did not want the amp to add sharpness but should not cover it up/smooth it over. The Psycho Motion Picture Soundtrack should not sound like Diana Krall and vice versa.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing