Magico Q3 pice increase - why?

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
So explain the price drop of the Q range to the previous models :)
M5 in 2009 was $89k, the Q5 in 2010 was $59k.
That breaks your assumption of "will always find a ways to fabricate justification for the higher prices" :)

The Q5 measures and sounds better, but was able to be sold cheaper because of its manufacturing/logistics costs, would be interesting to consider which has greater R&D costs because first thought on that would go to the Q5 IMO and assumption.

Cheers
Orb

i think the q5 had a very direct, established and aggressive competitor in the form of yg anat, another all aluminum, acoustic suspension design and it was priced to compete with it. otherwise, the initial cost of cnc processing could have called for a higher selling price.

products are not priced at cost+ fixed mark up; they are positioned in the marketplace at a specific price point for a specific target audience, in my opinion

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
... and both the q5 and yg anat shared a common problem: they were very hard to drive. the moment magico partially solved the problem with the q7 bam! the price went up 3-fold to 180k

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
... and both the q5 and yg anat shared a common problem: they were very hard to drive. the moment magico partially solved the problem with the q7 bam! the price went up 3-fold to 180k

The Q7 really should not be thought of in same way as Q5; it is a SOTA statement speaker.
Look at any of those manufacturers who can provide a unique aspect to their development/manufacturing and one will see their SOTA statement speaker is a magnitude step more expensive, look at Wilson Audio.

Case in point is Kef with their Blade speaker; in its original SOTA design-build KEF said they would not manufacture it as the selling price would be too high (this is a company that created the aluminium Muon and sold that for over £100k).
They managed to bring the Blade commercially to high end with some fundamental changes to the original Concept Blade, both in terms of materials and scope of design.

I do feel Magico is by their trend one who do tend to follow more closely traditional manufacturing business models, and Alon has mentioned in the past that compared to earlier speaker models it was cheaper manufacturing with their aluminium approach (although logistically this added headaches for the Q range with their engineering compared to say the S models).
There are not many companies that will bring out a better model at a cheaper price in niche high end markets.

Cheers
Orb

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Simple answer: High end audio is a luxury industry and it is hard to judge quality of “experience goods” objectively. And just like in other parts of the luxury industry (clothing, perfume, cosmetics, etc.), companies raise prices exponentially, claiming expensive labor and parts. Our wives pay $35 for a tube of lipstick and $250+ for a bottle of perfume. It makes them happy. So why not pay more for speakers?

Music through expensive luxury speakers makes us feel extra good. And luxury goods convey status and a pampered life. If you are already paying $40K, what’s another $10K? A $50K speaker has more mystique than a $40K speaker. [/B] High prices don’t deter. Instead, they convince the consumer the product is worth having.

Plus, those guys who will pay more for the Q3 will feel justification because the price nearly matches that of the Alexia, and Magico fans feel that Q3 is superior to the Alexia anyways…

Finally, Magico is selling a lot more S class speakers than Q class speakers these days. This price gap makes the S class series speakers a bigger bargain for the more price conscious consumer. So Magico may, consciously or unconsciously, be steering this way…

Caesar,

I love when people write such posts with an apologetic "us" and "you". Why do not they write "I"? IMHO you spend your time analyzing the hypothetical behavior of hypothetical consumers and then trying to characterize the high-end products through them. IMHO it mainly shows incapacity in dealing with the true SOTA developments and a poor understanding of the wonderful aspects associated with the best high end gear (that unhappily is expensive) when properly tuned. As I consider myself able to separate the luxury from the SOTA equipment, I do not feel in sin when writing about expensive gear in an audio forum, and do not need to write in a penitent sinner style.

BTW, I accept that between all these misguided audiophiles, that includes 99% of WBF readers, me inclusive, we are fortunate to have some blessed people who really know the truth about Magico speakers pricing.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) What a compliant bunch we are ( I count myself in BTW)

Frantz,

Just to say I do not consider a lot of people in WBF and myself part of a "compliant bunch" .

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Caesar,

I love when people write such posts with an apologetic "us" and "you". Why do not they write "I"? IMHO you spend your time analyzing the hypothetical behavior of hypothetical consumers and then trying to characterize the high-end products through them. IMHO it mainly shows incapacity in dealing with the true SOTA developments and a poor understanding of the wonderful aspects associated with the best high end gear (that unhappily is expensive) when properly tuned. As I consider myself able to separate the luxury from the SOTA equipment, I do not feel in sin when writing about expensive gear in an audio forum, and do not need to write in a penitent sinner style.

BTW, I accept that between all these misguided audiophiles, that includes 99% of WBF readers, me inclusive, we are fortunate to have some blessed people who really know the truth about Magico speakers pricing.

+1

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Frantz,

Just to say I do not consider a lot of people in WBF and myself part of a "compliant bunch" .

A Rose by any other name ...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I am disappointed that there will be another price increase, but accept it as inevitable. There will be quite a gap between the Q1 and Q3. If one likes the less forgiving/more transparent sound of the Q line and wants a floor standing speaker, a price of $50K seems pretty steep.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Oh, no - just Romeo and Juliet this time . Too easy. I would expect better ...

:)

I know you would understand ... Compliance and all that ... :D

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Dealer demo on gon. Apparently discontinuing Magico. Per ad, just about perfect in this killer "rose" color.

$15,820.

What's new MSRP? $50 K. :confused:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing