My Impressions of the Q7, Q3 aand TAD Ref

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am a planar person after all ..but the new slew of cone speakers (Magico, Rockport, YG, Focal, Wilson ,et al ) match them where they used to reign unchallenged.

Having always liked Apogees and Maggies, and auditioned the ML CLX and CLX Anniversary (with and without the dedicated sub), I was very surprised and impressed the first time I heard a Magico match that incredible alacrity. There are many characteristics that make up a good speaker to my ears...that is only one element. But when cones can just about get you there on speed/snap (or actually get you there), and that is combined with what cones can do well (unfettered slam)...that is a lot of fun.

I have heard Q1-Q5, YG Anat Ref II (not III or Sonja), Focal Grande Utopia EM, TAD Ref Ones and both Alexia and XLF...I should be hearing Altairs next week and am very intrigued to say the least. I really really walked away impressed with the much older Merak Sheritan IIs many years ago. The kind of impression that left me thinking I could take a Rockport speaker home someday and be really happy for a long, long time. Will be interesting to hear the latest generation of Rockports.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Isn't the Spectral CD more like $30k ?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Peter-I'm glad you and Frantz had a chance to hang for a little while and you could take him to Goodwins. Sounds like you guys had a good time.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
@mep

We did have a good time, It was cut short because ack had a previous appointment. I remained thereafter at Goodwin's and auditioned the Q3 for maybe three hours... Ack and I share similar tastes in music reproduction priorities and music genres.

I also heard the Spectral electronics with a dCS DAC and a music server. I liked what I heard. The Spectral attributes remained to me clear. I should have been clearer. I was talking about the Spectral Pre and amp. Total is about $40K.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Thanks - good input. If I could just write a check for the difference between what I can get for my MM3s and $40k, and push the zap in and zap out button on my PC to swap them out, I would get the TADs just for kicks. As it stands, the prospect of disassembling, selling, crating and shipping 1800 lbs, and moving may be 600 lbs worth of speaker back in is preventing me from pursuing this project.

I have given this some thought and my audiophilia nervosa is acting up again. I would consider jumping ship to TAD (If I can score a pair for around $40K), but not without hearing them first. I would sell my MM3s first and then buy the TADs. HOWEVER, before making such a huge decision, I would have to hear a pair of the TADs first and fall in love with the sound (they would have to sound better than the MM3s in my room - I would then take my chances and assume I can get them to sing as well in my room). I have no trips planned to NYC, so here is my question. Does anyone know of anyone that has a pair setup in the Atlanta area (say 100mile radius) so I can hear them (provided the owner is amenable to letting me hear them)?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have given this some thought and my audiophilia nervosa is acting up again. I would consider jumping ship to TAD (If I can score a pair for around $40K), but not without hearing them first. I would sell my MM3s first and then buy the TADs. HOWEVER, before making such a huge decision, I would have to hear a pair of the TADs first and fall in love with the sound (they would have to sound better than the MM3s in my room - I would then take my chances and assume I can get them to sing as well in my room). I have no trips planned to NYC, so here is my question. Does anyone know of anyone that has a pair setup in the Atlanta area (say 100mile radius) so I can hear them (provided the owner is amenable to letting me hear them)?

Save yourself the money and get the Alexia's. Was a huge improvement over my MM3's.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Save yourself the money and get the Alexia's. Was a huge improvement over my MM3's.

I can only get Alexias new and would have to take the first year 40% depreciation hit myself. If I can get TADs for 40%-50% less than retail, this makes far more sense economically.... I also want to hear them (anything I would consider as an MM3 replacement) first, because I quite like the sound of my MM3s. May be I am chasing the audio dragon....

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

At this level it is a question of user preference, but also of matching with the existing system and room. A recent re-listen to the Alexia's makes me support your post.

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
I can only get Alexias new and would have to take the first year 40% depreciation hit myself. If I can get TADs for 40%-50% less than retail, this makes far more sense economically.... I also want to hear them (anything I would consider as an MM3 replacement) first, because I quite like the sound of my MM3s. May be I am chasing the audio dragon....

Hey Guys,
& Sorry Bruce, no disrespect intended here...
We all have different tastes.
I have heard the Alexia ( but not in my room ) as well as the Tads & fond it to be the best sounding Wilson speaker yet. But, IMHO I would not put them or the Tads ahead of my MM3's.

Yes edorr, in my opinion you may just be chasing the audio dragon. Speakers are very personal to our ears since they are what we have the closest connection with our music.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Hey Edorr,

I cannot remember your system...but I will speak for myself personally. I have elected over the last year since finally getting a nice transport...to focusing intensely on creating as pure and 'hash-free' a system as I can for my old Wilson X1s...and 12 months later it still is improving dramatically. The X1s can be quiet scientific instruments on sound, but as Martin Colloms notes in his first review in 1994...put a really pure signal thru them, and you will rewarded. I have created an 'isolation sandwich' for each and every component in my system, even speakers and sub. I have just added an Entreq grounding unit (trial only for now)...and the incredibly purity of signal is absolutely wonderful.

Your speakers are incredibly capable...incredibly. You may well find find nirvana with TAD Ref Ones or Alexias...I have auditioned both. and the XLFs. But depending on everything else in your system...you may well find other areas to continue to drive the purity of the signal to greater heights...again speaking for myself personally here...and be rewarded without having to change up speakers. (which by the way, often result in having to change up other components because the 'voicing' of the system changes.

In my system, I have not sought to change voicing for the last few years...only to keep improving detail retrieval, purity, extension, decay. so far continue to be rewarded.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I probably have one of the newest ones in circulation--I just took delivery and had my card charged a couple weeks ago. $19K (ouch!) :)

Oh you had to rub that in :D Good to hear from you again, am glad your Spectral system is coming together; post impressions and your home's security code.

mmatuva

Oct 26, 2012
Oh you had to rub that in :D Good to hear from you again, am glad your Spectral system is coming together; post impressions and your home's security code.

Ha--yea, I couldn't help it :D. I'll do that...I've been holding off while I get used to the entire system (for others, I had replaced my electronics with the DMA 360s and the DMC 30ss preamp), but the CD player just arrived and Ack was very helpful in a few private exchanges during the process. I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll post impressions in the Spectral forum. For purposes here, let me just say I completely agree with Frantz's views on Spectral electronics. I had very good ARC tube gear before and loved it, but really fell for the Spectral when I heard it in a great set up--very detailed, yet musical and natural--consistent with Frantz's experience. I haven't had a chance to hear them with all of the speakers he referenced, but did hear my setup with the Q7s (just for fun), which was pretty spectacular. I'd love to hear them driving one of the Rockports.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hey Guys,
& Sorry Bruce, no disrespect intended here...
We all have different tastes.
I have heard the Alexia ( but not in my room ) as well as the Tads & fond it to be the best sounding Wilson speaker yet. But, IMHO I would not put them or the Tads ahead of my MM3's.

Yes edorr, in my opinion you may just be chasing the audio dragon. Speakers are very personal to our ears since they are what we have the closest connection with our music.

Haven't you guys read the title of MEP's famous thread? "It's all Preference". That is the cardinal rule in high end audio. One doesn't even need to read the content of the long thread.

Arguing about which speaker is best is kind of like arguing whether Rome or Paris or London will make a better vacation...

caesar

May 30, 2010
Every time I have heard the TAD Ref, it has been phenominal! If I didn't already have the Alexia, I'd certainly have the TAD Ref.

I think TAD is the best box speaker on earth. I wonder if the "roundness" Frantz is hearing with the TAD is due to the Ayre. Ayre is SS, but designed to sound like tubes. Check out Art Dudley's write up of the Ayre integrated:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/ayre-acoustics-ax-5-integrated-amplifier

One thing about TAD is that it is very chameleon like. I prefer is with warmer amps, but it will sound very detailed with different amps. One big difference between Magico and TAD is that Magico throws the details at you. TAD has all the details of the Magico, but presents them as part of the musical whole. Again, as MEP wisely stated, it's all preference.

Another thought: Tad is part of Pioneer, a very big company. If TAD were a garage operation or a small manufacturing facility operation, it would cost 3 times as much and would command a lot more respect. You can just hear some guys think: "That speaker is only $80K. It must not be as good as the $200K Wilson Alexandria or the $180K Magico Q7."

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Why, I had no idea I had a famous thread.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

I won't do anything impulsive just for the sake of change. I can see a scenario where I have a chance to listen to the TADs somewhere, fall in love head over heels, file for divorce from my MM3s and have the new mistress move into my basement.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing