Lampizator Big 7

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Hi Ken,

Bruce Brown and BMoura (PFO) gave rave reviews to the Level 4 DSD Only Dac. many of the online positive feedback is about the L4 DSD, which uses small signal tubes like the ECC40. Only the L7 Lampis with SD have the DHT combo with DSD. I think its a bot better, but there is not an enourmous gulf in performance. As you know, when you are already at a high level, diminishing returns hit hard and that is what people are paying for. YES, I agree DSD loves DSD, but it also loves the ECC40 tube almost as much. Of course the L7 uses more upgraded parts than the L4 and that matters too. Indeed the whole circuit design of his DSd is quite pure and it shows thru in the music, as you can likely tell from the many accolades given by experienced Industry people and audiophiles. I really appreciate teh confirmation, as when I first heard Lampi DSD, I could not be sure that I was not imaging that superb SQ. I had to pinch myself…and it was an early demo unit. When I (much later) heard the B7, I was smitten.

I would love for you to hear it and tell me what you think. Are you going to Axpona? The Lampi guys will be there.

No, unfortunately I won't be attending Axpona but I'm sure I'll get the opportunity to hear one somewhere this year. I need to hear for myself what all the hubbub is about. One last question, how does the single-ended B7 compare in performance to the balanced B7? When I auditioned the Wavelength Crimson DAC, which also utilizes DHTs, I noticed a significant drop off in performance in the balanced Crimson vs. the stellar single-ended Crimson.

Ken

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
No clue, as its only newly announced and only uses 101d tubes.

I dont have a balanced system anyway, so likely will never get one even for demo.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Some further impression on GG. I had B7 and GG is quieter than BB. I found there is a faint noise with B7 at idle. But the noise is much reduced with GG. GG is improving all the time. Getting more musical.

Sorry very busy and do not have time to try out DSD 256 as I enjoy playing PCM with GG. I will try DSD in the coming weekend.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Norman,

I would honestly enjoy giving the Big 7 a nice long listen. I know the magic of DHTs and how they can take you right to the recorded venue, while still sitting in your own listening room. But what really intrigues me is Lampi's DSD conversion process. It would be really interesting to be able to isolate it versus one of the best DSD DAC chips (i.e. AK4495S) to determine the true difference in sound quality. It's hard to know how much of the Big 7's excellent performance is DHT magic and how much is DSD conversion magic.

Ken

That should be easy, if you listen to Lampi's DSD only dac vs the Big 7 DSD, you will get the difference DSD and DHT based DSD?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Some further impression on GG. I had B7 and GG is quieter than BB. I found there is a faint noise with B7 at idle. But the noise is much reduced with GG. GG is improving all the time. Getting more musical.

Sorry very busy and do not have time to try out DSD 256 as I enjoy playing PCM with GG. I will try DSD in the coming weekend.

Did you have the Big 7 with the PCBs or without ?

I'm asking since my Big7 has the PCBs, and is very quiet. In fact, I was surprised how quiet it was, as I read somwhere on the net that DHT preamps/DACs tend to be noisy.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013

I'm asking since my Big7 has the PCBs, and is very quiet. In fact, I was surprised how quiet it was, as I read somwhere on the net that DHT preamps/DACs tend to be noisy.

Is the PCB the latest version? I had my Big7 few months ago. It definitely has faint noise especially on USB input. It is much quieter on AES input.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

I think it has more to do with an improved grounding scheme, which he constantly tweaks. Apparently, working with DHT is more difficult in that regard than working with small signal tubes.

My B7 is from 6 months ago and I dont have any noise issue, but that could be due to my setup as well. Synergy and local electrical hookup play their part too.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Is the PCB the latest version? I had my Big7 few months ago. It definitely has faint noise especially on USB input. It is much quieter on AES input.

Yes, PCB used in latest build versions...since about Dec last year, I think.

GG has one other advantage, the copper case is a great interference shield.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Sorry for the stupid question: what is PCB?

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Thank you, Wisnon!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I am thinking about going for the Big 7. I have a few questions for the experts:

Is the volume control in the digital domain? If so, is it totally transparent if set to max and used with a pre? I am always sceptical of volume controls on dacs and prefer not to use them if possible. I know I can order without but have a chance to purchase one that already has it used.

Has anyone compared the newer pcb vs hard wired - is the pcb unit quieter or is there nothing in it?

What is the difference between the dual mono dsd256 engine and the regular dsd256 engine in terms of sound quality?

Thanks so much.

Bill

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Analog volume control. Its a stepped attenuator of the tubes which does the final stage preamp function as well as the analog output stage.

Most of the other questions noone can really answer as many things are new and unlikely that people would have both to compare.

My take is that the PCB came later, and as Lukasz is always tinkering, the PCB Dac will also have the latest innovations anyway. Thus who can say what is attributable to the PCB vs the latest tweaking of grounding schemes, etc? He only does PCB versions now anyway, as he could not keep up with his growing backlog with 100% point to point methods.

DSD256 apparently has a clear benefit. Dual DSD is much more debatable. I personally would not bother, as at best is huge diminishing returns. Single DSD256 gets a thumbs up, as if for no other reason that its 256 capable!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Analog volume control. Its a stepped attenuator of the tubes which does the final stage preamp function as well as the analog output stage.

Most of the other questions noone can really answer as many things are new and unlikely that people would have both to compare.

My take is that the PCB came later, and as Lukasz is always tinkering, the PCB Dac will also have the latest innovations anyway. Thus who can say what is attributable to the PCB vs the latest tweaking of grounding schemes, etc? He only does PCB versions now anyway, as he could not keep up with his growing backlog with 100% point to point methods.

DSD256 apparently has a clear benefit. Dual DSD is much more debatable. I personally would not bother, as at best is huge diminishing returns. Single DSD256 gets a thumbs up, as if for no other reason that its 256 capable!

Thanks for info. Being that it is analog volume control, it sounds as though I would be better without volume control and letting my pre do that work.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks for info. Being that it is analog volume control, it sounds as though I would be better without volume control and letting my pre do that work.

it's the age old argument of using a preamp or using a DAC with a volume control.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
it's the age old argument of using a preamp or using a DAC with a volume control.

Indeed. But for me, a turntable is also important as is running fully balanced to my Krells.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing