Lampizator or PS Audio Directstream DAC Mk2?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Psvane ACME 274B
If someone in Europe is interested in the Psvane ACME 274B, I could be convinced to part ways with the ACME 274B.

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
Well Dave, I got good news today. My DAC has shipped and will be here thursday. Be prepared for a text from DHL for you to pay a very small customs fee but not responding promptly can delay your shipment.
Jerry

Reactions: Designsfx
Nov 19, 2023
Hertfordshire
Well Dave, I got good news today. My DAC has shipped and will be here thursday. Be prepared for a text from DHL for you to pay a very small customs fee but not responding promptly can delay your shipment.
Jerry
Thanks Carlsbad. Though I wasn't expecting to be contacted by DHL funnily enough, I was expecting the dealer to let me know. Wasn't expecting any further shipping costs either to be honest...

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
Dave, Rob did let me know we were getting close to shipping last week. As for contact from DHL, this seems to be how import duties are paid now. I've bought 4 pieces of equipment from Europe lately and the value of the import duties is not known or due until presented at customs in the US. As a service, the shipping company pays it and bills the reciever (billing the shipper in some other country, some other language, perhaps requiring a staff of dozens of translators, doesn't seem to work well in a good percentage of the cases). They add a fee to cover their costs so they don't mind doing it.

They used to deliver and trust you to pay but they got stiffed too many times so now they hold up delivery.

The amount is generally very small (less than $50) but an inexperienced shipper can choose the wrong tarriff code and it could be a lot. Not a problem with an experienced company like Lampizator.

Jerry

Nov 19, 2023
Hertfordshire
Dave, Rob did let me know we were getting close to shipping last week. As for contact from DHL, this seems to be how import duties are paid now. I've bought 4 pieces of equipment from Europe lately and the value of the import duties is not known or due until presented at customs in the US. As a service, the shipping company pays it and bills the reciever (billing the shipper in some other country, some other language, perhaps requiring a staff of dozens of translators, doesn't seem to work well in a good percentage of the cases). They add a fee to cover their costs so they don't mind doing it.

They used to deliver and trust you to pay but they got stiffed too many times so now they hold up delivery.

The amount is generally very small (less than $50) but an inexperienced shipper can choose the wrong tarriff code and it could be a lot. Not a problem with an experienced company like Lampizator.

Jerry
Thanks for the info. I'm based in the Uk so maybe my experience should be different. I'm sure import duties etc are due but I suspect the dealer has taken account of that in the retail price!

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
Dave, Sorry, I get US centric. There are a lot of European based members here. I went into a lot of detail that has nothing to do with you. Best of luck, Jerry

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
Dave,
My GG3 showed up and first impression is very positive. Hope you get your TRP soon. My DAC was suppled with a KR 5U4G that is very nice. I haven't tried my favorite GZ34 yet. Merry Christmas, Jerry

Reactions: christoph
Nov 19, 2023
Hertfordshire
Dave,
My GG3 showed up and first impression is very positive. Hope you get your TRP soon. My DAC was suppled with a KR 5U4G that is very nice. I haven't tried my favorite GZ34 yet. Merry Christmas, Jerry
Ouch! Nothing like rubbing salt in the wounds! But Honestly I'm glad you get to enjoy yours over the Holiday period. I'm not expecting mine for another couple of weeks at least. That is around 6-7 week lead time from point of order. Guess they must have been busy building yours! :)

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
Sorry, I meant it as hope that yours will be there soon. --Jerry

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Dave,
Congrats on your GG3 :cool:

Which KR 5u4g recti did you get?
Riccardo Kron KR 5u4g?

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
Congrats on your GG3 :cool:

Which KR 5u4g recti did you get?
Riccardo Kron KR 5u4g?
It doesn't have the Riccardo Kron gold seal on the white base (like the one currently listed on eBay), but otherwise looks identical. I tried to find these listed for sale and they aren't on KR website or any of their distributors....but I think I've read that people have compared the gold seal to non-gold seal and find it to be superior.

Jerry

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
It doesn't have the Riccardo Kron gold seal on the white base (like the one currently listed on eBay), but otherwise looks identical. I tried to find these listed for sale and they aren't on KR website or any of their distributors....but I think I've read that people have compared the gold seal to non-gold seal and find it to be superior.

Jerry
I have to check if mine actually do have those gold seals.

What output triodes did you get for stock and do you already have alternatives round up?

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
It has a pair of Electro Harmonics 300b in the box. I put in my EML 300b's instead. So I haven't listened to the supplied tubes. Not a fan of EH so they may be available for sale soon. Jerry
I have to check if mine actually do have those gold seals.

What output triodes did you get for stock and do you already have alternatives round up?

Last edited:

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
So I bought the TJ PX25's and they already arrived. Tried them today and they were significantly inferior to the EML 300Bs. They will be for sale soon.

I was about to buy some more Sophia Electric or TJ 2A3s or similar. I've used Sophia Electric tubes before and was happy with them. But I think I've stepped up a notch with the EML and I should not waste my money on the less expensive tubes.

You saw my post that my only complaint on the EMLs is absolutely no glow. The PX25s are a mesh tub and glowed brightly. PX 25 is a 4 volt heater but this pair had 5 v heaters so you run them on the 300b setting. They glowed nicely. I had a pair of Sophia 300b-2.5 V which ran on the 2A3 setting (for an amp I had) and they looked very similar to the PX25s.
20231223_141543.jpg

Carlsbad

Dec 11, 2022
Carlsbad, CA USA
Dave, Sorry to hear that you are stil waiting. But I alway say be patient. I would rather have a carefully built product that took an extra month of wait than one that was rushed.

Also good to know that Lampizator is busy.

Take care. It is worth the wait.

Jerry

Nov 19, 2023
Hertfordshire
My TRP3 finally arrived this week! There has been some serious delivery problems on the dealer side but that was eventually solved. I only have one gripe and that is the eye on the front was supposed to be configured for power but that wasn't done. I am told that can be changed easily at some point in the future. I have 4 x PSVANE KT88 and one 5C3S rectifier. However the dealer has offered a PSVANE ACME 274B as compensation for the extremely long delays. I should receive this in the next wekk or two (Hopefully). Straight out of the box it sounds promising but after just 24 hours I think it has a way to go to reach its maximum.

Attachments

• 20240214_211205.jpg
    20240214_211205.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: christoph and Bbock

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
My TRP3 finally arrived this week! There has been some serious delivery problems on the dealer side but that was eventually solved. I only have one gripe and that is the eye on the front was supposed to be configured for power but that wasn't done. I am told that can be changed easily at some point in the future. I have 4 x PSVANE KT88 and one 5C3S rectifier. However the dealer has offered a PSVANE ACME 274B as compensation for the extremely long delays. I should receive this in the next wekk or two (Hopefully). Straight out of the box it sounds promising but after just 24 hours I think it has a way to go to reach its maximum.
It does have a way to go. I know it’s hard, but be patient! And then once it’s run-in, you can start all over with the tube rolling!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing