iOS7 Now Available For Download

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Just updated my iPad. Looks good

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I've been trying to download to my iPhone at work today. It has given me a fail error and stopped twice, and tells me the download is....7 hours? Really? Do you suppose it's the wifi here? Can you download it to your Mac and update the iPhone through sync?

Tim

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I hate the new OS. I find it terribly ugly and much harder to read. Feels like the icons were made by a 2 year old.

I am more disappointed that they haven't made it easier to use. There is still no informative home screen and I have to digging for basic info. I also still have to go and manually kill programs to free up memory etc (only it's not as easy to do so), just silly imo.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I hate the new OS. I find it terribly ugly and much harder to read. Feels like the icons were made by a 2 year old.

I am more disappointed that they haven't made it easier to use. There is still no informative home screen and I have to digging for basic info. I also still have to go and manually kill programs to free up memory etc (only it's not as easy to do so), just silly imo.

And I thought it was just me

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I'm having a problem with regular websites i visit, like this one. It must have to do with the privacy settings or the cookies setting in safari, which seems to give you only 3 options- never, third parties/advertisers or block all. I'd like it only to save cookies from those websites that I approve or favorite, and frankly I'm lost.
Steve, or another apple-o-phile, can you help?
I like the spare aesthetic and the fact that you now have a 'dashboard' to page through open webpages, like the 'big Mac' but the privacy defaults were pretty 'open' when loaded. Perhaps some of the changes to privacy I made screwed this up, but I'm a little befuddled right now. BTW, is there an official user guide to this thing? Most of what I have seen so far have been blog articles gushing about it.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

No, you don't have to manually kill apps to free memory. This is not Android. The OS will do it for you. Just switch away from them, the app will freeze, and be killed by the OS if you don't return to it within a certain period.

As for the "hard to read" part, there's an option for bold fonts, in the General>Accessibility area. You can also increase/decrease font sizes at will. I use the smallest size/no bold, and it's plain gorgeous.

Agree some of the icons are ugly, though. But an ugly icon won't make my life miserable, fortunately.

alexandre

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
iOS 7.0.1 is already out; I hope it fixes the power consumption issue

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
No, you don't have to manually kill apps to free memory. This is not Android. The OS will do it for you. Just switch away from them, the app will freeze, and be killed by the OS if you don't return to it within a certain period.

Actually, Android will kill apps for you as well.

BTW, smartphones are slightly different to PC's. On a PC, if you fill up your memory, it is a very bad thing. You have to swap page files to disc - that slows down your PC considerably. On a smartphone, full memory is a good thing. It means that your apps launch faster when you switch into them, and the system does not have to retrieve info from flash - saving power and thus extending battery life. I used to go around killing as many processes as possible on my phone, these days I only prevent from launching (or uninstall) the apps that are sitting in memory for no reason.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
iOS 7.0.1 is already out; I hope it fixes the power consumption issue

Peter

since I read this post I have looked high and low for this upgrade. AFAIK only ios7 is available. Where did you find ver 7.0.1?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Peter

since I read this post I have looked high and low for this upgrade. AFAIK only ios7 is available. Where did you find ver 7.0.1?

Sorry, it's apparently only available for the 5S - which I got for my wife on Friday, and 7.0.1 came out Friday night. My own 5 is still at 7.0. Verizon offered $200 trade-in for her 4S 16GB and I got her the 5S 64GB - a nice upgrade.

Steve Williams

I ask only because I am still searching for a fix to activate my iMessage account otherwise 7.0 works fine

One caveat I discovered was how to delete emails. Usually a left to right swipe would allow individual email deletions. This doesn't work on ios7 and I thought I would have to use the edit button to do bulk deletions. Then I discovered the swipe now is from right to left for individual deletions

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I ask only because I am still searching for a fix to activate my iMessage account otherwise 7.0 works fine

One caveat I discovered was how to delete emails. Usually a left to right swipe would allow individual email deletions. This doesn't work on ios7 and I thought I would have to use the edit button to do bulk deletions. Then I discovered the swipe now is from right to left for individual deletions

I ran into this problem today but didn't try the reverse swipe, so thanks for mentioning it.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I must confess that I wasn't smart enough to figure it out. My son told me after I complained about it being missing

I finally figured out my inability to save passwords because the settings weren't clearly described- and on the swipe for individual email deletes, my IT guy gave me that answer. Apple support was clueless- I think they just put a warm body on the phone, rather than have me hold for someone who knew anything (though she was superb in disguising her ignorance of the new OS). Don't Apple publish documentation for this at the time of release or is it just a patch work of Q & A as problems or questions arise? I have picked up some info from third party blogs, but they are more focused on gushing about features than answering operational questions.

Steve Williams

Problem solved

Here is what I discovered

iOS7 update should be done via wifi rather than via itunes

It has been a common problem with the update that people have been unable to activate their iMessage and/or Facebook accounts

Many fixes have been recommended, all of which I have tried and none have worked

So I did a backup of my iphone to the cloud and then did a full restore to my iphone using the most recent backup

Voila, problem solved...iMessage account now activated. I had no problem with activating my Facebook account

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I uploaded iOS7 via iTunes, no problem. But I'm not sure there's much going for OS7 unless I'm missing something. In the previous system, if you look at your emails in list form, you can swipe them to delete them in one action. You can't do that in OS7. It's a 2 step process. Edit/ then delete. What a waste of time. Same for messages. As far as looks, I have no problem with them. The cosmetics are pleasant enough. But what functional improvements are there? It reminds me of iTunes. I almost wish I never upgraded past iTunes 3. They seem to have removed useful features with every incremental upgrade. By the time we get to iTunes 37, we'll probably have to sing our own songs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing