Roon vs eero: One Solution

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
I've suffered through an ongoing war between Roon and my eero mesh network. It seems that every time there's a power or internet interruption or a software update they stop talking to each other. It often takes a few days of unplugging, re-plugging, restarting, disconnecting firewalls, reconfiguring, and strange dances and incantations to get everything up and running again.
This past week I couldn't get Roon to update my NUC running Roon ROCK from v2.0 to v2.0.28. That was particularly annoying as the new version removes the requirement for a constant internet connection. The error message from Roon said that the update couldn't be verified and I should check my internet connection. I knew the connection was fine because Roon 2.0 was working properly (playing music, following my commands, etc.) and it requires an internet connection in order to work!
I finally decided to insert a Linksys router between an eero node and my NUC. A short LAN cable feeds internet from an eero near my audio system to the Linksys router, and I then connected both the NUC and my NAD M50.2 player/vault to the Linksys with Ethernet cables (actually, they're connected to a switch that's connected to the Linksys).
That did it. As soon as Roon was connected to the Linksys network instead of the eero network, everyone was happy. The update began instantly and all is good with the world.

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
I recently moved to Atlanta and had an Eero network installed throughout the house (7 eeros as well as 2 hardlined ethernet). It took a lon time to get the eero sorted out and ultimately it didn't play well with my server. It is a terrible rf polluter as well. We ended up removing 2 eeros and hard wiring the room where my server is as well as my Esoteric streamer. That seemed to fix it. As far as sound quality goes, given I'm using generic switches (I hired a network guy to install everything) I think I could do better. That said, when I switch out the generic switch for either an English English or an SoTM I have on hand the sound is actually slightly worse.

I know that is slightly off-topic of your original post, but I rarely see anything about eero and Roon. My network guy said he's done a lot of eero installs and never had anyone else ever have streaming music appliances.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing