The Discrete DAC – Firmware Update

osadu

Nov 11, 2023
GA
I have an MSB Discrete DAC on the way. Very excited. Part of my current system is Bryston BDP-3 digital player and an Innuos Zenith MK3. At the MSB website, it says in order to update the Discrete DAC firmware, one should download the file "MSB_DiscreteDAC_ver_23.wav" and add the file to a bit perfect playback software. It also says that the file must be played by a bit perfect source. Here is my question. Can I download the "MSB_DiscreteDAC_ver_23.wav" onto a USB thumb drive, attach the USB thumb drive to the Bryston BDP-3, and connect the Bryston BDP -3 player to the MSB Discrete DAC using XLR digital cable and play the wav file through the Discrete DAC to update the Discrete DAC firmware. Or, alternatively, should I load the wav file into the Innuos Zenith MK3 and connect the Innuos to the MSB Discrete DAC and play the wav file through the MSB Discrete DAC to update it? Or am I totally lost. Please help me.

Osadu

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, osadu!

I think you will be happy with the MSB!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Either method will work, as long as the Bryston's output is truly bit-perfect. I would just drop the file on the Innuos and play from there.

Reactions: barbz127

barbz127

Jun 4, 2022
I plugged my msb into the PC and did the update via foobar rather than fluff around uploading the file into roon via the antipodes.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes, if your MSB has the USB input, then plugging a PC and playing it back works too, you just have to make sure the app playing the file does it truly bit-perfect (like foobar).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing