iOS7 Now Available For Download

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
My phone did fine no problem, but both our iPad2's downloaded but then said update wasn't available at this time, and continue to say that.

Edit: nevermind, 2 hours later it works, I just needed to post about it here :D

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
What do you all think of it?

alexandre

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The best way to do the update is through iTunes, so you can back it up first. Overall, I find it sensational.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Here's a thorough review http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/09/ios-7-thoroughly-reviewed/

And a word of caution wrt iTunes - apparently it doesn't check to make sure you have enough disk space, and will proceed with an incomplete iOS image, leaving you with a vegetable. Remember to back up first and frequently.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
my iphone 4 gave me a notice to delete data to make room for the install, wouldn't let me do it.

Jeff

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
my iphone 4 gave me a notice to delete data to make room for the install, wouldn't let me do it.

Jeff

I got the same notice, but I have iTunes set to fill all available space with music when syncing. I'll just need to resync leaving room for the new iOS, then try again.

Tim

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Apple's new iOS 7 makes bold statement

AFP Relax News

With consumers eagerly awaiting the release of two new iPhones this week, the more dramatic change may be in the software, not the hardware.
The new mobile operating system called iOS 7 became available Wednesday, providing users of iPhones and iPads a bolder look, which may be a shock for some, but which Apple hopes will keep its fans happy and draw new customers.

"It is a major upgrade," said Gerry Purdy, analyst and consultant with Compass Intelligence who follows mobile technology.
"This is the first big thing that (Apple chief executive) Tim Cook has implemented, which puts all the software and hardware design under one roof, to have a unified experience across products."

While the new iPhone 5S and 5C, set to be released Friday, have received a lukewarm response, some analysts say the bolder statement from Apple comes in the new operating system, designed to keep people in the Apple "ecosystem."
The new operating system "has a different look, a different feel," said Ramon Llamas, analyst with the research firm IDC.

"People are going to have to rethink how they do things with their phone, and Apple is asking people to make a leap of faith."
With Apple seeking to regain traction in a mobile market dominated by the Google Android system, Llamas said iOS 7 will be a key test for Apple, because the new iPhones have failed to wow consumers.

"The feedback I'm getting is that people say (the new iPhones) are nice but they will wait for next year's model."
A small number of journalists who were allowed to review the new iPhone and iOS 7 underscored the dramatic change in the operating system.
"If you're coming brand new to iOS 7 and have been ignoring the Internet for the past three months, you're going to be in for a visual shock," wrote Darrell Etherington of the tech news site TechCrunch.

"The look is bound to be controversial; Apple has opted for bright, bold colors with more clean lines and far fewer textures, shadows and gradients. There is still some depth to the OS, however, with transparency effects giving a sense of background and foreground elements."
David Pogue of The New York Times said even with the iPhone launch, "the bigger news is iOS 7."
"The look of iOS 7 is sparse, white -- almost plain in spots. No more fake leather, fake woodgrain, fake green felt, fake yellow note paper," Pogue writes.
"The complete absence of graphic embellishments makes it especially utilitarian -- in both senses of the word. That's good, because whatever button or function you need is easier to find; it's bad, because, well, it can look a little boring."

Walt Mossberg at AllThingsD called the new operating system "a big improvement," adding: "The icons have been redesigned to be flatter and simpler, but they appear to float over your wallpaper, giving the effect of depth."
Apple says the new system has more than 200 new features, including improved multitasking, sharing, new camera apps, male and female voices for its Siri software, and the much-anticipated iTunes Radio.

The new software has drawn considerable attention even as the iPhone launch appears to be less spectacular than those in the past: Apple has said little about sellouts or delivery delays, and few expect the kinds of queues typical of iPhone debuts.
Purdy said that Apple may inadvertently hurt new iPhone sales by releasing the software upgrade for older models.
"It allows people with the iPhone 4 or 5 to get all the benefits of the Apple environment from a software standpoint, and therefore reduces the absolute need to upgrade the physical device," he told AFP.

The free upgrade helps Apple solidify its user base, the analyst said, even for those unwilling to buy a new device.
"It makes it attractive to stay in the walled garden of Apple," Purdy said, even without a revolutionary hardware change.
"This allows Apple to keep its users, though it may not change the direction of the Android ecosystem," Purdy added.
"But Apple isn't out to win market share. They want to produce the best products in the market and they're doing a good job at that."

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

Jeff

I had to delete or move a ton of videos and photos off my 16gb 5. Would be nice if you could mass delete phone photos/videos easier. No probs though once I created the necessary space.

Steve Williams

It's Been Less Than 24 Hours And Apple's iOS 7 Already Has A Faster Adoption Rate Than Google's Latest Version Of Android

By Steve Kovach | Business Insider

Apple's new operating system for iPhones and iPads, iOS 7, hasn't even been out for 24 hours and it already has a higher adoption rate than Google's latest Android operating system, called Jelly Bean 4.3, which launched in July.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/less-24-hours-apples-ios-101551354.html

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
To be fair, that's a nonsensical comparison.

Apple owns its environment, and can push updates to 100% of its target phones. Android/Google doesn't control much of it, and have to rely on carriers/third parties to "package" the new software into software updates. Only Google's own Nexus line of phones are liable to receive updates directly from Google... So, not a fair comparison. But the tech media has done worse things for a headline, so it doesn't surprise me...

alexandre

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Apple owns its environment, and can push updates to 100% of its target phones. Android/Google doesn't control much of it, and have to rely on carriers/third parties to "package" the new software into software updates. Only Google's own Nexus line of phones are liable to receive updates directly from Google... So, not a fair comparison. But the tech media has done worse things for a headline, so it doesn't surprise me...

alexandre

That's the one thing that aggravates me about Android OS....updates are carrier driven.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

alexandre

Apple receives plenty of flac for owning its environment. Seems fair enough to point out when it is both a business and consumer advantage.

Tim

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Apple receives plenty of flac for owning its environment. Seems fair enough to point out when it is both a business and consumer advantage.

Tim

Indeed. And I don't really see a negative side to that. Even Microsoft, a staunch proponent of "open", is moving towards Apple packaged solution, instead of relying on third-parties. Google, in its infinite hipocrisy, bought Motorola to strenghten that position, and not rely so much on partners (well, and for the IP too).

Apparently, Google is going to implement some backhanded way to update the OS and core apps without relying on the carriers, through the Google Play app. As with everything Android, it won't be as neat and clean as in iOS...

alexandre

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I installed the upgrade last night, and liked the new look - problem is that the many of my most-used apps still have the old look and feel, quite cumbersome!

At any rate, I liked the new GUI with plain colours and even better intuitive operation.

so far...so good.

Steve Williams

The only glitch I had with my install was the inability to activate iMessage. Apparently this had been a recurrent issue and a patch to follow soon.

I found this fix that works for anyone having a similar problem. The kid doing the video sounds like he is 10-12 years old

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing