If Money and and Real Estate weren't a concern, what Speaker would you select?

If Money and Real Estate weren't a concern, what Speaker would you choose?

• Focal Grand Utopia EM

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Genesis 1.2 (Current Flagship)

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Magico Q7

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • MBL X-Treme

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Rockport Arrakis 2

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Scaena Flagship model

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • TAD Ref

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • YG Sonja

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Von Schweikert Universe Flagship

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 27 37.5%

• Total voters

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Genesis 1.2 or Arrakis 2...Have heard both the Genesis 1.1 and Arrakis 2, both exceedingly well setup by owners who know their stuff and with access to near limitless amounts of equipment. Nuance, tone and scale...the likes of which I have not heard before from other speakers. (For me), this includes Focal Grande EMs, X2, XLF, Tidal Sunray + dual Tidal tower subs, Aidas, TAD Ref Ones, which represent a number of the other large speakers I have been fortunate to hear.

I should probably clarify...it is mostly the 'scale' which I have heard from the big Genesis and Arrakis which make the rest of the pack above seem small (likes Sashas to Alexias). It truly is an immense rush and experience because it is not overpowering as one would expect...its just sitting there in front of you. No one is 'bracing for impact'...any more than when a band is practicing at home, and you're 5-7 feet away. And yet when you open your mouth to speak...you realize how loud it is, and from an audiophile perspective, you realize that these speakers can deliver a scale that seems natural, does not trigger your sense of 'bracing for impact'...and yet is actually not just loud, but full and complete...ie, its effortless in delivering life-like scale up to large ensembles.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I should probably clarify...it is mostly the 'scale' which I have heard from the big Genesis and Arrakis which make the rest of the pack above seem small (likes Sashas to Alexias). It truly is an immense rush and experience because it is not overpowering as one would expect...its just sitting there in front of you. No one is 'bracing for impact'...any more than when a band is practicing at home, and you're 5-7 feet away. And yet when you open your mouth to speak...you realize how loud it is, and from an audiophile perspective, you realize that these speakers can deliver a scale that seems natural, does not trigger your sense of 'bracing for impact'...and yet is actually not just loud, but full and complete...ie, its effortless in delivering life-like scale up to large ensembles.

Hi

I haven't heard the Arakis yet but have heard the Gen 1 and 1.2 ... When it comes to scale they are non-pareil. Most other speakers seem to be on a different level. I tend to believe that Magnepan and Soundlab if properly subwoofered (taken the liberty to invent a new verb: To subwoofer :) ) can provide this scale too. I haven't heard other uber speakers of the four columns variety but I would think the big Evo Acoustics could pull that trick too...

Money no object? I would go toward the Genesis Dragon .. Amplification? likely Burmester. Recent re-acquaintance with the 911 has convinced me Burmesters are just my cup of tea. ;). Source a tweaked-up computer. DAC is wide open but I do like the BADA a lot

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Bespoke Experience Music/EMIA system...

Me, too. I don't know if I could take winters in the Catskills, though!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi

I haven't heard the Arakis yet but have heard the Gen 1 and 1.2 ... When it comes to scale they are non-pareil. Most other speakers seem to be on a different level. I tend to believe that Magnepan and Soundlab if properly subwoofered (taken the liberty to invent a new verb: To subwoofer :) ) can provide this scale too. I haven't heard other uber speakers of the four columns variety but I would think the big Evo Acoustics could pull that trick too...

Money no object? I would go toward the Genesis Dragon .. Amplification? likely Burmester. Recent re-acquaintance with the 911 has convinced me Burmesters are just my cup of tea. ;). Source a tweaked-up computer. DAC is wide open but I do like the BADA a lot

Hi Frantz...great stuff. Was it you who suggested somewhere else in WBF that you thought [maybe] that the Q7s had SUCH low distortion, they might be able to team up with several well-setup subs to match the scale of something like a Genesis or at least get darn close? I thought it might have been you...

...I did not realize at that time you'd heard the 1.1s and the 1.2s. Any further thoughts on Q7 plus several subs (expertly setup) vs Genesis?

...also any thoughts on 1.1 vs 1.2? Most curious! Thanks.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
I had a bit of a re-think about what system I would put together if cost was no object & I was building a new house and treated audio room. I would find (beg, borrow or steal) a nice example of Infinity IRS-V's and send them to Bill LeGall for full restoration, including re-finishing the rosewood timber with fresh lacquer, upgrading all the magnets for the Emits & Emims, replacing the ribbons with Graz ribbons, replacing the Series V bass drivers with Series III drivers (as per bill's recommendation) and restoring/upgrading the crossovers & servo amp. I would replace the 2000 watt Infinity bass amps with Boulder 3050 mono blocks & feed the midrange/tweeter panels with Vitus SM-102 mono blocks. Preamp would be a Vitus MP-L201 fed by a TechDas Airforce One turntable, Graham Phantom Elite tonearm, Miyajima Kansui cartridge, Vitus MP-P201 phono amp & Vitus MP-T201/MP-D201 stack. That system would kick tail and ran!

IRS11.jpg

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm not sure what I'd choose as I'd need to audition them, but one thing is for certain. I'd want them to have the finish of my choice.

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
If money AND real estate were not an issue, The Rockport Arrakis w/ a brace of Gryphon or Vitas amps. I could probably shoehorn the Q7 into my existing room. Living really large might have me going for the new Kharma Extremes.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If money AND real estate were not an issue, The Rockport Arrakis w/ a brace of Gryphon or Vitas amps. I could probably shoehorn the Q7 into my existing room. Living really large might have me going for the new Kharma Extremes.

Hi Joe,

Have you heard both the Arrakis and the Kharma Extremes? If so, any comparison would be much appreciated! I have heard the Arrakis, but was intrigued when Cuong Pham (Audiogon) went with Gryphon Mephistos and the big Kharma Extremes.

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Hi Joe,

Have you heard both the Arrakis and the Kharma Extremes? If so, any comparison would be much appreciated! I have heard the Arrakis, but was intrigued when Cuong Pham (Audiogon) went with Gryphon Mephistos and the big Kharma Extremes.

Only the Arrakis. I don't know if there are a pair of Extremes in the US. I sure would like to hear them, either with Gryphon or even Kharama's new amp line.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Only the Arrakis. I don't know if there are a pair of Extremes in the US. I sure would like to hear them, either with Gryphon or even Kharama's new amp line.

I remain amazed by the Arrakis. Remarkable...gives natural solidity a whole new meaning to me. Made all the XLF/X2s auditions feel to me like a Sasha/Alexia by comparison in terms of solidity, effortlessness, scale and impact. Even on the opening notes of a Norah Jones track, let alone Daft Punk Random Access Memories, Nirvana Unplugged. We did not get around to large scale orchestral, but that sure would have been fun.

I have heard larger scale orchestral (Hans Zimmer) on the smaller Altairs and remained impressed as well by its natural tone, quality of detail, intimacy and yet effortless power. But that particular Altair audition was not optimal (in terms of setup) and I did not get the sense of scale that I got with the Rockports which were on permanent display and thus seemed far more carefully tuned/setup.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Caesar already indicated that the system limits the number of choices that he can list to ten. That's why there's the other button.

Ok I get that. but unfortunately you can't specify when you select "other". Can we assume that the majority of those votes are for Wilsons? And if so, which model?

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
I remain amazed by the Arrakis. Remarkable...gives natural solidity a whole new meaning to me. Made all the XLF/X2s auditions feel to me like a Sasha/Alexia by comparison in terms of solidity, effortlessness, scale and impact. Even on the opening notes of a Norah Jones track, let alone Daft Punk Random Access Memories, Nirvana Unplugged. We did not get around to large scale orchestral, but that sure would have been fun.

I have heard larger scale orchestral (Hans Zimmer) on the smaller Altairs and remained impressed as well by its natural tone, quality of detail, intimacy and yet effortless power. But that particular Altair audition was not optimal (in terms of setup) and I did not get the sense of scale that I got with the Rockports which were on permanent display and thus seemed far more carefully tuned/setup.

There is something other worldly about the Arrakis ability to create a palpable soundstage, regardless of the material: small scale jazz, large symphonic works, etc. What remains freshest in my mind was listening to side 2 of the "Blade Runner" soundtrack. The layering and image placement as well as deep bass fundamentals make that LP truly demo worthy. A friend has a pair of Aquilas driven by the Boulder 3050. I really enjoy listening to that setup as well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
There is something other worldly about the Arrakis ability to create a palpable soundstage, regardless of the material: small scale jazz, large symphonic works, etc. What remains freshest in my mind was listening to side 2 of the "Blade Runner" soundtrack. The layering and image placement as well as deep bass fundamentals make that LP truly demo worthy. A friend has a pair of Aquilas driven by the Boulder 3050. I really enjoy listening to that setup as well.

I agree completely. The palpability no doubt comes from many many elements of the design, but one that certainly sticks out in my mind is vibration...the speaker is completely inert in a way i have not experienced before. We had the system playing loudly enough as a (short-term) test and my pants were literally flapping in the wind, and when I touched the side of the woofers, it was still (as in 'off'). Impressive. In my limited experience, this helps concentrate and solidify the signal tremendously, as well as keep transients as sharp and well timed as possible, let alone allow teeny microdetails and nuances through

I have spent a lot of time the last several months working carefully component by component, to use different isolation and mass damping products to create 'isolation sandwiches' for each component in my system. I have now just finished on my X1s...they have Ultra 5s underneath, a 3kg weight inside each bass port and (as of last nite), a Entreq Audio Vibb Eater 6.5kg bag (copper-shot and other metals) on top of the back of the back of the upper models. the level of SOLIDITY of signal without changing any tonal characteristics, as well as the improvement in instrument separation, decay/detail is most gratifying. For the first time yesterday evening, I played Daft Punk (RAM) and heard something in the opening bars from track 3 that immediately gave me a strong glimpse of what I heard in Hong Kong with the Arrakis setup. Quite cool.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I agree completely. The palpability no doubt comes from many many elements of the design, but one that certainly sticks out in my mind is vibration...the speaker is completely inert in a way i have not experienced before. We had the system playing loudly enough as a (short-term) test and my pants were literally flapping in the wind, and when I touched the side of the woofers, it was still (as in 'off'). Impressive. In my limited experience, this helps concentrate and solidify the signal tremendously, as well as keep transients as sharp and well timed as possible, let alone allow teeny microdetails and nuances through

I have spent a lot of time the last several months working carefully component by component, to use different isolation and mass damping products to create 'isolation sandwiches' for each component in my system. I have now just finished on my X1s...they have Ultra 5s underneath, a 3kg weight inside each bass port and (as of last nite), a Entreq Audio Vibb Eater 6.5kg bag (copper-shot and other metals) on top of the back of the back of the upper models. the level of SOLIDITY of signal without changing any tonal characteristics, as well as the improvement in instrument separation, decay/detail is most gratifying. For the first time yesterday evening, I played Daft Punk (RAM) and heard something in the opening bars from track 3 that immediately gave me a strong glimpse of what I heard in Hong Kong with the Arrakis setup. Quite cool.

Very cool, Lloyd!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Ok I get that. but unfortunately you can't specify when you select "other". Can we assume that the majority of those votes are for Wilsons? And if so, which model?

Wilson Alexia's here Marty.

Tom

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very cool, Lloyd!

Hi MadFloyd...yes for a 'smaller' sum, I got a lot of value. There is a big difference between no isolation and isolation...and the Wilson X1 modules really benefit from the Entreq Vibb. I have opened a new thread ("Entreq Vibb Eaters: Isolation for Wilson X1 Upper Modules") about it for those who have Wilsons with modules. I cannot say they work for others, but I feel that these did something comparable for the X1s Treble/Upper mids to what the Ultra 5s do for my X1s upper bass/lower mids.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Pass XS300 and XS pre
Wilson Alexia or maybe the XLF if I can get small scale performances correct.

Bruce, perhaps this is the wrong thread in which to discuss this, but could you elaborate by explaining what you mean about getting small scale performances correct with these large Wilson speakers, or large speakers in general? I brought up this very subject in another thread when I described my listening impressions of both the Magico Q7 and the Wilson XLF and was immediately criticized. Apparently those speakers do get all scales correct and the set ups I heard must have been flawed. I was explaining that in my experience smaller speakers have portrayed small scale music more accurately that really big speakers have. It's just my experience but a few other members seem to adamantly disagree.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing