One speaker/system or multiples?

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
I am less in favor of two or more systems, as MAIN,
I am in favor of one system, in which I will invest the best I can to elevate it as much as possible, and whatever is possible,

in addition, I greatly respect the two companies WILSON and MAGICO, but in order to wake up, there Speakers from much more exotic companies that provide a musical, natural and realistic response that will be superior even to those in the mainstream.

I was in a similar process, and I was with WILSON for a decade and I was 1 inch before ordering ALEXX and I realized that I was actually looking for something much more natural and accurate to my ears.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
If I was given a million, or two, or three, etc, I will buy two speaker systems.

One system will be Vyger Red Sparrow Mayer 46 Pnoe. The other will be a dual FLH like Altec 817 or Leif types. People might think they are both SETs horns system so similar, but they sound quite different. There will be another table with Schroder LT and Dava, will add a tape deck.

I could try to have a common set of electronics, or experiment with Kondo, or get a custom SET amp built.

Most of the remaining money will go in records where the SQ benefits are. Just don't think spending more on gear on one system betters those - the more expensive systems were just trying to put one expensive bandage on a wound caused by another expensive component

View attachment 119625
My bad. The Vyger Mayer Kondo Pnoe would make my shortlist if there were no $$$ constraints and I could have a sky is the limits objective… as analogue setup only… and that would leave me with my large 2 way OB horn setup still powered with Mayer/Kondo for digital and for everyday music discovery and shared in the living room music. Down to two setups max is a good plan.

Reactions: bonzo75

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
With an open floor plan there are multiple listening spaces using the same setup. Each space has its own sound, of course, and a different sense of scale. This provides variety using one system. In other words, an alternative to multiple systems.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
A second vintage system my dream
Amp sansui au 111
Tuner mcintosh mr 78
Cd sony cdp r 1+ dac sony das r 1
Micro seki bl 111
Tandberg td 20 a se
Speaker quad esl57 or altec 604g.or jbl
From a musical point and design of view, a system like this kicks the modern stuff in the ass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin and Argonaut

Moodybuilder

Nov 10, 2023
Eastbourne
It’s taken me 40 odd years and still not finished the first one (main) so I’ll stick to one, but in a ideal world the possibilities would be endless

Reactions: emoonie

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Over in the Magico M7 thread discussion about value propositions of course comes up (everytime a new uber-expensive product is announced). Many audiophiles have a monogamous approach, building the “one” system they hope checks all the boxes. But we don’t have to be tied down, with audio we can play the field if we choose. Given the exceptional quality of many offerings these days, from components to speakers, is there really such a huge delta between, say, an Alexx V and and XVX, or M9 vs M7, that it might be more fun to have an Alexx V, an Alsyvox Botticell, or something like Diesis Roma (not these brands per se) vs one XVX?

I have friends with multiple systems, real lovers of the different flavors available, and they all sound really great and are fun to listen to.

Would you cheat on your system?
The choice between one high-end audio system and multiple sets can depend on personal preferences and goals. While a single system may aim to provide a comprehensive and cohesive audio experience, having multiple systems can allow audiophiles to explore various sonic signatures and enjoy different flavors of sound, making the listening experience more diverse and enjoyable. It ultimately comes down to individual priorities and whether one seeks audio fidelity or variety in their listening experience.

my experience over the years got my from using several systems to on, as over the years I learned that even I’ll use a preferred setup. it also made me capable investing in better components then several o.k but not the best I can get.

Reactions: emoonie and Bobvin

hi5harry

Sep 11, 2011
Santa Cruz, Calif
A while back I found a set of speakers I’ve always had a huge interest in. VOCE IMG_0174.jpeg 3s speakers were designed by a San Francisco opera tenor who lives in our town and a really nice guy! I have no place for another speaker, so I just put them in the living room, just to listen. WOW! as you see, nothing is optimal, yet they sound fantastic! It’s nice having another system/sound to listen to. I’m becoming a huge fan of Vince’s incredible speakers AND having a second system.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: emoonie and Bobvin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing