If Money and and Real Estate weren't a concern, what Speaker would you select?

If Money and Real Estate weren't a concern, what Speaker would you choose?

• Focal Grand Utopia EM

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Genesis 1.2 (Current Flagship)

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Magico Q7

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • MBL X-Treme

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Rockport Arrakis 2

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Scaena Flagship model

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • TAD Ref

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • YG Sonja

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Von Schweikert Universe Flagship

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 27 37.5%

• Total voters

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The whole matter is when I sit down in front of large speakers, especially 4-tower system, a solo vocalist or violinist is not 7' tall and 6' wide. This is totally unbelievable. Or piano for that matter. I know a close mic'd piano can sound huge, but unless the engineer has done some crazy things, the performance just kills it for me.

Unfortunately, a lot of the time, you have to check the recording. Over the weekend, I set up a pair of speakers. When I played one recording, the violin sounded huge - larger than a grand piano. On another recording, a guitar sounded smaller than a ukulele. A third recording had a violin and piano in the correct perspective. With a small pair of speakers, the huge violin might probably have sounded correct. When the speakers are large enough (most of mine) the speakers are always blamed..... until you demo a recording that has the proper perspective.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I started to build a house with a listening room - it was going to be 11.5m x 18.6m - to put a pair of Genesis 1.1's in.

Here's a 180-degree pan of the land taken from the winery building - the foundation pad was already compacted and done - the white spot it about 2/3 of the way towards the right. This picture was taken 4th Aug 2001 - just before Genesis Technologies went bankrupt. A year later, 1st Aug 2002, I started Genesis Advanced Technologies.

View attachment 15475

Lot's of space for a guest house Gary. :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Still waiting for you to get back here G. Make a side trip next time you're in HK or SG!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Still waiting for you to get back here G. Make a side trip next time you're in HK or SG!

Yesh - looks like I'll have to do that. JR seems not to be closing the deal on the Dragon......

HKG-MNL-HKG is really cheap, so may be next time I'm in HK I'll pop by for a weekend for R&R :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Great stuff...thanks. I have heard the ML CLX (with Descents), Wilson Alexia, Thiel 3.7, Wilson Grand Slamm III, and Genesis 1.1.

What is it that makes you choose the Living Voice so easily above these others? You mention lifelike presentation...is it also lifelike scale, bass power...is it detail, decay? Most curious!

Scale, completeness of details that gives that "lifelike presentation" (micro and macro dynamics), perceived lack of coloration, fully 3d soundstage and image resolution and sense of utter transparency...like performers on the stage! What I didn't hear from the system was small music...solo violin, guitar etc. that would give me the final indication of whether that system would give a realistic image for such a recording. This was something my IRS Betas did not do correctly and something my Acoustats did very very well indeed. Other than this caveat the Living Voice/Kondo system was easily the best I have heard. What I would also be interested in knowing is how much contribution to that sound was coming from the Kondo system...I suspect quite a lot but I can imagine some other combinations (Wavac, KR Audio etc.) that might reach the same heights.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Scale, completeness of details that gives that "lifelike presentation" (micro and macro dynamics), perceived lack of coloration, fully 3d soundstage and image resolution and sense of utter transparency...like performers on the stage! What I didn't hear from the system was small music...solo violin, guitar etc. that would give me the final indication of whether that system would give a realistic image for such a recording. This was something my IRS Betas did not do correctly and something my Acoustats did very very well indeed. Other than this caveat the Living Voice/Kondo system was easily the best I have heard. What I would also be interested in knowing is how much contribution to that sound was coming from the Kondo system...I suspect quite a lot but I can imagine some other combinations (Wavac, KR Audio etc.) that might reach the same heights.
Thanks! Nice reading. Look forward to hearing them someday!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing