Do we really want What'sBestForum to ever become AVShowroomsForum?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I have been called much worse than a "wanker" To quote Rodney King "Can we all get along?"

I have too. Been called an audiophile. Now that is too much!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
No no. Read it. It's a masterpiece. A real eye opener on human nature.

Willdo Mike. Btw, it's to my eternal shame I've never heard of the Peter Popoff guy you posted at me a while back. I was in equal measure laughing my socks off at that video, and trying to put my jaw back as it hit the floor. That is a WHOLE new level of alternative reality.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, skin, girls.

Tim

When I first saw Tim's post, the above is what my mind absorbed. Including those last two words is the best way to get me to read your posts, Tim. :D

By the way, I did read it, and it is a good post. I agree.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
When I first saw Tim's post, the above is what my mind absorbed. Including those last two words is the best way to get me to read your posts, Tim. :D

By the way, I did read it, and it is a good post. I agree.

Changing a fellow poster text to make it appear as his/her own is a violation of the TOS.. You should be banned :D

I think we are getting overly sensitive. The thicker skin metaphor is more than appropriate. inappropriate posts come from both sides ... SOme like Blizzard stun with their machine-gun delivery.. Others go to a level of condescension that is a shade removed from contempt... Ignore the poster but do address the post is the ideal. A difficult exercise but a very useful one to benefit from any discussion. Chill out people!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...If an idea depends on maths and physics, for example, then it matters not one jot whether the person talking about it has direct experience of it: it is correct or it isn't, and I am happy to read their views...
I'm not even sure what this statement means?? How does one have direct experience of an idea?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Before we go too far on the philosophical flight ... It is only proper to only offer opinions on something you have experienced some... Just going on saying for example that component A will slay component B without ever heard A is kind of ..extreme and to use a colloquial expression: Not Cool!

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
I'm not even sure what this statement means?? How does one have direct experience of an idea?

Yes, it was sloppy wording, but you are also making my point for me: If it is not possible to "have direct experience of an idea" then we cannot discuss pure ideas if a condition of making a post is that you have to have "direct experience" of what you are talking about.

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
Before we go too far on the philosophical flight ... It is only proper to only offer opinions on something you have experienced some... Just going on saying for example that component A will slay component B without ever heard A is kind of ..extreme and to use a colloquial expression: Not Cool!

I am thinking of the person who might argue that "bits are bits" and provide evidence of this purely from maths, physics, data sheets, schematics and so on. For me (but not everyone) this would trump all anecdotes about listening to things, so I would be perfectly happy to read their post. As long as they were not too obnoxious, of course...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think I respectfully disagree with that. If an idea depends on maths and physics, for example, then it matters not one jot whether the person talking about it has direct experience of it: it is correct or it isn't, and I am happy to read their views.

How do we define "experience" anyway? Simply listening to something doesn't give any special insights in my opinion. Even building something with DIY, or having shop-floor work experience doesn't automatically make a person's arguments any more convincing. I think I can recognise a good argument or not, irrespective of whether the person claims to be "experienced". I would rather discuss ideas than just trading experiences.

If an idea depends on maths and physics we expect people putting an opinion on it to have direct experience on maths or physics ... How else can he debate it?

Ideas should be discussed as ideas, no problem! Please do no make simple thinks complicated!

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
If an idea depends on maths and physics we expect people putting an opinion on it to have direct experience on maths or physics ... How else can he debate it?

Ideas should be discussed as ideas, no problem! Please do no make simple thinks complicated!

So, hypothetically, if someone argues that "DSD is better than PCM", is it important that they have
(a) done extensive listening of both?
(b) own both?
(c) read something about the theory of how both systems work?

Personally, I would go with (c) as long as I thought they were understanding and interpreting the information correctly (in my opinion). They could persuade me without either of us having heard the two systems, I reckon.

(I am more persuaded by PCM, as it happens..!)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So, hypothetically, if someone argues that "DSD is better than PCM", is it important that they have
(b) own both?

Personally, I would go with (c) as long as I thought they were understanding and interpreting the information correctly (in my opinion). They could persuade me without either of us having heard the two systems, I reckon.

The correct answer will depend on what he wants to address - subjective sound quality or electrical signal integrity. And yes, we all know that there are no absolutes, but sometimes the difference is so large we forget about it ...

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Crash

(b) own both?

Hello Groucho,
I agree with you.
When I buy a car, I study the crash safety tests as the primary criteria.
I do not personally crash several different cars to evaluate [that might be fun], but I do not have the time.
zz.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Can someone that has never driven a car give an opinion on how a particular model handles just on theory and then proclaim obnoxiously that he is right and everyone else who owns and drives that model wrong?
Or that same non driver give lewis hamilton driving lessons?

And most importantly , is Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog?

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
Can someone that has never driven a car give an opinion on how a particular model handles just on theory and then proclaim obnoxiously that he is right and everyone else who owns and drives that model wrong?

Possibly... if everyone is driving three-wheelers, they might be able to make a persuasive argument that four wheels are better - even if they don't have a driving licence.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Mickey Mouse is a celluloid [not joking].

Or that same non driver give lewis hamilton driving lessons?

And most importantly , is Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog?

Mickey Mouse is a celluloid [not joking].

The first question: NO, because the car manufacturers lie & the reviewers lie.

zz.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
oh well rodney i guess your not up for a game of top trumps then:D

people argue about cars they have never driven all the time.

blizzard likes to speculate, i guess given non of you have met him all your doing is speculating on his nature. he has a good sense of humour imo, rare indeed.

They are just grasping at straws because it's all they have. It's a classic tell tale sign of weakness. But one thing that can't get me on is, has there been 1 person yet who has followed any of my recommendations and hasn't been pleased with the outcome??

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Blizzard, glad you've entered the fray, since I opened up this thread in your honour LOL.
Tbh, I have to wearily admit it's been a total waste of fracking time, so I leave you to play audio ping pong w/yr fellow admirers. G'night all.

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
They are just grasping at straws because it's all they have. It's a classic tell tale sign of weakness. But one thing that can't get me on is, has there been 1 person yet who has followed any of my recommendations and hasn't been pleased with the outcome??

Yes, actually that would be me, after I spent $460 buying all the parts you recommended for a fiber connection (and yes, shipping is expensive here), after being told by you it was all plug and play and after following your instructions to the letter including for a dual LAN, all I got was loss of all connections and a very unhappy Nadac. I had to reset the Nadac to factory default to get it to work, and restore my computer. So I lost a day and $460.

It was at that point I realised you really don't know as much as you think you do, or tell the world you do. And I decided to leave you t the Nadac thread, which I closed because you just wouldn't leave me alone there.

But on topic, I would say this - this is the worst regulated and worst moderated forum I have been involved. It is, in my view, a disgrace that the majority are held captive by one person - Amir - who seems to revel in chaos and conflict. Well, bully for him. He can have it. WBF is clearly not a place for me. So congratulations Mike & Amir, you win.

Well done.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Yes, actually that would be me, after I spent $460 buying all the parts you recommended for a fiber connection (and yes, shipping is expensive here), after being told by you it was all plug and play and after following your instructions to the letter including for a dual LAN, all I got was loss of all connections and a very unhappy Nadac. I had to reset the Nadac to factory default to get it to work, and restore my computer. So I lost a day and $460.

It was at that point I realised you really don't know as much as you think you do, or tell the world you do. And I decided to leave you t the Nadac thread, which I closed because you just wouldn't leave me alone there.

But on topic, I would say this - this is the worst regulated and worst moderated forum I have been involved. It is, in my view, a disgrace that the majority are held captive by one person - Amir - who seems to revel in chaos and conflict. Well, bully for him. He can have it. WBF is clearly not a place for me. So congratulations Mike & Amir, you win.

Well done.

Yeah funny how stuff doesn't work when you don't connect them up properly, and refuse to follow instructions. As far as the fiber NIC I recommended, you didn't even buy the one I recommended. Then wouldn't answer when I asked which one you bought. You wouldn't respond when I asked which configuration you tried as well. I patiently explained several times, without any response what so ever from you that any attempts were made to try my detailed instruction.

Kingsrule on the other hand, who did do things properly said it took him less time to get it running than it took to type the post.

Doesn't look like the Startech NIC I told you to buy to me:

image.jpeg

Last edited:

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Question

Well done.

? Why is this guy dumping-on Amir? I do not see Amir holding anyone captive. Does Amir have a secret jail?
zz.
PS some really like Mike, some talk about something like ~machine gunning; so I am staying in a careful place. But, people do have success with his guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing