Do we really want What'sBestForum to ever become AVShowroomsForum?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
...because there is a real risk of it.
I pose this thread, because a certain member is getting plenty here hot under the collar (incl your's truly), and many are asking him to be banished.
But, this is a highly dangerous path.
I mean, have you read AVShowroomsForum recently? Set up by the self-annointed Pontificator General, Peter "Wankergate" Breuninger, and his lapdog acolyte Myles B. Astor, it's sycophantism is enough to give you a sugar rush, but with the worst come down afterwards you could imagine.
Ron Resnick was banned from there. RON for Christ's sake!!! If you know him like I do, you'll realise he should be the LAST person banned from anything.

Now I have fallen out badly w/this guy agging everyone up online, but really it's the thin end of the wedge if this guy was made to go. His really interesting take on all things digital and diy surely benefits many, and that would all be flushed away w/his departure.

On the flip side, it's surely time for us to all practice a bit of mindfullness, realising we all have different tastes, prejudices, expectations, and the bigger the personality (plenty on this forum), the more hard it is for jarring opinions to be palatable. Both aggravator and aggravatee need to understand this.

This surely has to go both ways, controversial views from occasionally tactless communicators to be taken in the spirit that they're meant, and the receiver to try and cut thru White Noise and the White Heat of anger - and the purveyor of the views surely realising that a velvet glove needs to be worn at all times to soften the impact of the Iron Fist.

Like I say, the result otherwise will be a poor copy of the comatose, asinine AVShowroomsForum, and Peter and Myles lording it over us.
Jeez, I couldn't handle that!

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Trolls and shills never benefit a forum.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Controversial views are different from trolling and shilling. This thread is like the Daily Mail, putting up a sensational headline that does not address the subject. The take on digital and DIY does not benefit because there is misinformation, and in either case, those really interested should log on to computer audiophile or diyaudio. Not to mention there are others on this forum who can provide better insights, backed by experience

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I hope that the sleeping moderators - I know they are not GMT - will quickly moderate/close this thread. Bashing another audio forum or its members will not bring any good to anyone. Just MHO.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jeez, I wish I never bothered :(.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Spaz, don't forget "Russia Today". You can def forget BBC News 24.
Thanx for looking behind the headline, I knew I could rely on you to do that simple thing. For others, sometimes the simplest things are the hardest things.
Anyhow, I might as well refer to Blizzard, who I personally fell out with on his analog warmth thread.
Anywhere if he were to go, it's one step close to ASVShowroomsForum.
Sorry if you dislike this Micro, but once we were all called wankers by Peter, his future actions became fair game.
I've had my feuds, w/Purite for instance. But I guess I'm glad he's still flying has flag here, despite my objections a year back.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
never read the daily mail dont belive in the printed press its all agenders. aljazera for me.
i think the title may not adress the subject but marcs post made a good stab at it. then again i was never much of a headline guy i always tend to focus on the content..

Marc's post is addressing a general principle of should we ban someone who is adding value in his own style? Well, if you ask that philosophically, of course not. Why should we?

The post does not address, specifically, Blizzard and his chaos

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
AVS with Science being in its name doesn't go for the magical doohicky, sighted, subjective as fact reviews. So I like it for that.

There are certainly bigger fish to fry.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Listen, if Blizzard is truly considered a hazard to the well being of the greater good, he will be gone. Suspended, w/a view to civil behaviour in future and readmitted probably.
Tbh, reading the personal spat btwn him and Andrew Stenhouse relating to a closed thread on Nadac, this all has an inevitable sinking feeling.
Just to say that I've had major spats online w/people, incl the infamous "psychic healing" video sent my way. I'm glad that person wasn't banned.
What will be will be, que sera sera.
Maybe my plea for mindfullness doesn't work when minds are pretty full to overflowing to begin :cool:.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Well if someone irks you to that point there is always the "ignore button"... I for one think we have to strive for a better tone of replies and avoid personal attacks but welcome Blizzard contribution if not his style... .. Again addressing you directly Blizzard : Please refrain from atacking gears you have no personal experence with. Also a more generous use of modifiers aka "sweteners" :) such as "IMHO", "IMO", "IME", "YMMV". It would be welcomed...
And Spirit I am somewhat with you concering AVShowrooms... Peter attacks here were unqualified and he shouid have been banned on the spot. The leniency some here offered and still continue to offer him despite such is almost amusing.
And it goes both ways as no one knows everything.

SOmewhat OT.

I never cared about DSD. Intellectually I find the process wasteful and flawed. On the strident insistence (How's that for a turn of words?) of Blizzard when pushing his beloved HQPlayer, I tried the darn thing and ... It seems to me that with a particular DAC I have the iFi imicroDSD I prefere DSD to straight PCM... levels are much different with DSD level much lower .. Still I prefer DSDfied PCM through HQPlayer to straight 44.1/16 PCM... I will match levels and see (hear:) ) if I can conduct a quasi-blind test but consider me interested enough to try HQplayer and likely to purchase it to use with a Supermicro Server with Xeon E5 CPU I have laying around ... Ah! The value of different opinions and especially of people going against the Status Quo or the Orthodoxy!!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
HQP has been advcated on Lampi threads for ages. And it is used by many dac owners on computer audiophile

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Listen, if Blizzard is truly considered a hazard to the well being of the greater good, he will be gone. Suspended, w/a view to civil behaviour in future and readmitted probably.
Tbh, reading the personal spat btwn him and Andrew Stenhouse relating to a closed thread on Nadac, this all has an inevitable sinking feeling.
Just to say that I've had major spats online w/people, incl the infamous "psychic healing" video sent my way. I'm glad that person wasn't banned.
Maybe my plea for mindfullness doesn't work when minds are pretty full to overflowing to begin :cool:.

Spirit; I did not ask for that spat, nor did I invite the conflict with Mike, but I am only going to take so much before I bite back. And my biting back is simply to correct the misrepresentations, and then withdraw from the forum, so Mike can post as he wants without me to focus on.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I just use my Blizzard Filter Rules and life is easy. I react to his helpful comments, and ignore when he writes about stuff he has no clue about.

banning him? and what that might say about us?

any other 'high end' forum would have long banned him by now. not just 'that' other one. Spirit, your comments are needlessly provocative. no need to drag that forum into the Blizzard problem.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Blizzard accused Andrew and implied Wisnon was involved, in purposefully slandering NADAC.

Anyway, as for your he will be gone, from what treitz posted, all mods except one wanted him banned. In addition to Audiophile Bill, Rodney, me, Andrew, and probably a few others. If he is not gone I too am going to troll on Mark Levinson, Revel, and other Harman gear based on pure subjectivism. I mean, this is just a forum for fun, let's all trash gear especially that which we don't have much experience with. I mean, who would want to listen to Adele on a box speaker that is flat as pancake and backed by harsh sounding SS amps? It surely is an old technology and should be replaced by electrostats with tubes and a vinyl rig (even that is not fair, I actually have experience with stats and tubes)

ps: Relax Amir, that was a joke

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
HQP has been advcated on Lampi threads for ages. And it is used by many dac owners on computer audiophile

That is OK but it was his insistence that won me over and I don't frequency CA or better I didn't.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I just use my Blizzard Filter Rules and life is easy. I react to his helpful comments, and ignore when he writes about stuff he has no clue about.

banning him? and what that might say about us?

any other 'high end' forum would have long banned him by now. not just 'that' other one. Spirit, your comments are needlessly provocative. no need to drag that forum into the Blizzard problem.

There's no problem here. It's just a small handful making a pile of noise. I have far far more fans that PM me than I do enemies. So no reason to change. The honest way I am is the very reason people like me. :)

One day I'll show you a digital rig that makes you sell that analog gear to Bonzo once and for all. And for Bonzo, he will have a Blizzard tattoo before the end of the decade :)

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
typically oblivious to the carnage he leaves in his path and as lacking of self awareness as anyone I've ever seen. it's hard to change when you don't and won't grasp the nature of the problem.

I've been in plenty of threads (not all of them mind you) and never had a problem with his posting style. I even read the last few pages of the NADAC thread and the poor guy can't even get a few simple "how is the network configured" questions answered. Like pulling teeth actually trying to help someone.

As an aside and all due respect, knowing your history: Chris Wiggles + AVS, I wouldn't start calling some one elses' self awareness into question.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
...because there is a real risk of it.
I pose this thread, because a certain member is getting plenty here hot under the collar (incl your's truly), and many are asking him to be banished.
But, this is a highly dangerous path.
I mean, have you read AVShowroomsForum recently? Set up by the self-annointed Pontificator General, Peter "Wankergate" Breuninger, and his lapdog acolyte Myles B. Astor, it's sycophantism is enough to give you a sugar rush, but with the worst come down afterwards you could imagine.
Ron Resnick was banned from there. RON for Christ's sake!!! If you know him like I do, you'll realise he should be the LAST person banned from anything.

Now I have fallen out badly w/this guy agging everyone up online, but really it's the thin end of the wedge if this guy was made to go. His really interesting take on all things digital and diy surely benefits many, and that would all be flushed away w/his departure.

On the flip side, it's surely time for us to all practice a bit of mindfullness, realising we all have different tastes, prejudices, expectations, and the bigger the personality (plenty on this forum), the more hard it is for jarring opinions to be palatable. Both aggravator and aggravatee need to understand this.

This surely has to go both ways, controversial views from occasionally tactless communicators to be taken in the spirit that they're meant, and the receiver to try and cut thru White Noise and the White Heat of anger - and the purveyor of the views surely realising that a velvet glove needs to be worn at all times to soften the impact of the Iron Fist.

Like I say, the result otherwise will be a poor copy of the comatose, asinine AVShowroomsForum, and Peter and Myles lording it over us.
Jeez, I couldn't handle that!

Despite how you may feel how that forum is managed and how you feel about the principals...calling the forum out and them out by name is pretty un cool and in bad taste. Your better than that spirit.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Good morning gentlemen.

I find it interesting how some people can bring out the worst in others. I confess to often having that problem myself by allowing others to bring out the worst in me

There are many valid opinions here from both sides but what rises from the ashes and I have said it so many times here before that it all boils down to the presentation by the poster and how it is done. Yes there are those who make the hair on our necks curl but as I learned from my years in clinical medicine that what makes a great teacher is one who maintains equanimity under stress. Like all of you who have posted I too share similar emotions so what's the solution

1. Don't engage these individuals if they rattle your cage so often

2. Press the "Ignore" button

It becomes sometimes all too difficult to separate emotions from fact and all I ask is for everyone to maintain composure whichever side you come from. Finally IMO it serves no purpose to compare one website to another and hurl epithets. Peter and Myles drew their line in the sand and walked out and started their own web site. We all know how that went but please don't start threads where other sites are called out and then use this as an excuse to bash members here.

"press the ignore button" If one is given his own sandbox to serve as a pulpit but no one plays in the sand box, the message will be loud and clear to that individual. To fight fire with fire however gentlemen is a step beneath every one's dignity as I see it and only makes all of you stoop to the same level and I know that all of you don't want that. So please try to maintain equanimity under stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing