If you really want to get peoples attention....you shut your forum down for a month or so!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Some of you visit the Linn forum, managed by the good folks at Linn. Last week, I noticed that the forum ....yes the whole forum ( which had a VERY large participation) was down. Now, there is a note to all members of that forum that Linn has decided to shut down the whole forum as they are preparing for a MAJOR new release. As such, they do not want any leaks of what it is that will be released and as such, the best way to maintain secrecy is to shut down the whole forum for about a month! To say this is creating some amount of angst and push back across the web is a bit of an understatement. Many folks are mad, many others are wondering what kind of a marketing ploy is this...and on and on.
For those interested in reading the Linn forum explanation, here it is: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/?

Now here’s a thought, Ron and Steve could close the whole forum down for a month and see how many companies would pay to be on the re-launch, LoL.

Is this crazy marketing, or does Linn have something up their sleeves.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
When I want attention I usually hold my breath, throw myself on the floor and kick my feet. Being held in 24 hour detention to see if I am a danger to myself or others can also be relaxing.:p

caesar

May 30, 2010
Davey,
Thanks. Interesting approach. Other than the killer turntables, does Linn still have a strong following? Being in the US, Linn does not have top of mind awareness for me, since a dedicated Linn retail location near me closed 12-15 years ago. Will people even come back to their site?

And can't someone just spill the beans they are hiding on another site?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey,
Thanks. Interesting approach. Other than the killer turntables, does Linn still have a strong following? Being in the US, Linn does not have top of mind awareness for me, since a dedicated Linn retail location near me closed 12-15 years ago. Will people even come back to their site?

And can't someone just spill the beans they are hiding on another site?

Exactly...basically, and from what I understand, the ‘big’ news is that Linn will be dealing directly with it’s US dealers...and bringing a few new servers/DAC’s to the line up....big woop!
Like you said, the table is the star, the rest of the lineup....meh.:D

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Well folks, the Linn forum is no more. Apparently, Gilad thought that there was no value to owning and running a forum, so he decided to let it close and move all members over to the WigWam forum???? Interesting move for a 'major' manufacturero_O

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Very strange move. I wonder why. Such a big forum. One should think that it would help the Linn name.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Very strange move. I wonder why. Such a big forum. One should think that it would help the Linn name.

I totally agree...too weird.
Tons of negative feelings from prior members and others....lots of bad publicity, but then again, I suppose all publicity is good...even when it’s bad,lolo_O

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Davey, I frequented the Linn forum since I have an LP12 myself. Like many I was more than a bit dismayed at the forum being shut down but can’t see myself visiting the Wam site just to look for Linn info. Whether they (Linn) have booted themselves in the Cost del Sols will remain to be seen but I always though the majority of information posted on their forum was positive and informative for all Linn products. They may have got a bit narked at previous product releases being outed on their site before they officially launched them themselves, all of which is totally understandable. However they definitely have hacked off a whole lot of their current owners with one click of the mouse in deleting their forum. With a lack of Linn dealers where do they expect to ‘launch’ their products to the public at large? Their forum, however imperfect, did at least help in getting the word out for all things Linn. An unfortunate loss for us all.

Reactions: DaveyF

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey, I frequented the Linn forum since I have an LP12 myself. Like many I was more than a bit dismayed at the forum being shut down but can’t see myself visiting the Wam site just to look for Linn info. Whether they (Linn) have booted themselves in the Cost del Sols will remain to be seen but I always though the majority of information posted on their forum was positive and informative for all Linn products. They may have got a bit narked at previous product releases being outed on their site before they officially launched them themselves, all of which is totally understandable. However they definitely have hacked off a whole lot of their current owners with one click of the mouse in deleting their forum. With a lack of Linn dealers where do they expect to ‘launch’ their products to the public at large? Their forum, however imperfect, did at least help in getting the word out for all things Linn. An unfortunate loss for us all.

I couldn't agree more wth your post. +1.

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Here is probably far too round Earth for most Linnies. They would most likely feel sullied scrolling through the site to get to the Linn section and therefore not visit.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing