Do we hear differently?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Teach, perhaps. Many of the people who indulge deepest in fantasy and denial about audio reproduction are respected authorities in the hobby. They are teachers whether they mean to be or not. Nah. I'm standing by sad. Not for the sake of teaching or preaching, but because the work Harmon is doing is good for the business, the industry, the hobby and the music. The stubborn, fantasy-based defense of bad fidelity is a destructive force for all of the above.

Tim

Agree with this, Tim. In the current edition of S'phile, the article by Sam Tellig is IMO nothing but absolute drivel in regards to the 'gong' that he has under review. OTOH,not sure how much of an authority Sam is in this hobby.:eek:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Well, I wouldn't want anyone to overestimate my sadness. I'll go home, play my guitar tonight and all will be well. Actually I'm going over to the other guitar player's house this evening to work on double lead parts. It doesn't get much more fun than that without women in the room.

But I am, let's call it disappointed, by what is illustrated in this thead and what it exemplifies more broadly. Some VSGs (very smart guys) -- book writing, research study designing, advanced degree in the field holding smart guys have, through a very well thought-out set of methodologies and very well-controlled implementations, thoroughly measured some audio equipment, then tested it in very carefully constructed blind listening sessions with well-trained listeners and demonstrated, pretty definitively, that there is a solid link between good measurements and not only sound, but preference. That's anathema to Audiophile wisdom. Big news. Totally unsurprising to a grumpy old skeptic like myself, but shaking at the very foundation of the high-end belief credo.

But what really has folks upset? The fact that in the process of discovering the aforementioned earth-shaking info, it may have been revealed that some cheap midfi speaker outperformed a respected audiophile brand. <$700 Infinitys smoked the >$11,000 MLs? This is too much. This is inspiring hobbyist and respected audiophile pro alike to fight truth to the death, or more accurately, to the point of making *&(^ up in the face real data.

We cannot accept that hard work, serious measurement, listening testing, more hardwork (not to mention cheaply finished cabinets :) ) could possibly result in midfi (snif!) that could beat an audiophile pedigree and a high price point?

What does that tell the people who design, build and market the stuff of our hobby? How can that possibly be a good thing?

Tim

Last edited:

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
The fact that in the process of discovering the aforementioned earth-shaking info, it may have been revealed that some cheap midfi speaker outperformed a respected audiophile brand. <$7k Infinitys smoked the >$11K MLs?
Tim
Actually, Tim, I'm more interested in the identification of Speaker R - any idea?
How others deal with the news is up to them - it doesn't sadden me!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'm guessing a bit, but the description of "M" makes it a Martin Logan (I've heard a lot of MLs and I'm not at all surprised by the measurements or blind listening results). Given that probably means the names of R and I begin with R and I, and this is a Harman International study, Revel and Infinity seem very likely. And given its performance and the competition it is up against, I'd bet the I is a P363. The R? A Revel seems likely. I couldn't guess which model, though I would hope the inexpensive Infinity wouldn't come that close to the Salon.

Tim

JasonI

Dec 3, 2010
I'm guessing a bit, but the description of "M" makes it a Martin Logan (I've heard a lot of MLs and I'm not at all surprised by the measurements or blind listening results). Given that probably means the names of R and I begin with R and I, and this is a Harman International study, Revel and Infinity seem very likely. And given its performance and the competition it is up against, I'd bet the I is a P363. The R? A Revel seems likely. I couldn't guess which model, though I would hope the inexpensive Infinity wouldn't come that close to the Salon.

Tim

Reminds me of this. I'm fairly certain B is B&W 802.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Critical typo alert:

But what really has folks upset? The fact that in the process of discovering the aforementioned earth-shaking info, it may have been revealed that some cheap midfi speaker outperformed a respected audiophile brand. <$7k Infinitys smoked the >$11K MLs? This is too much.

That should read "<$700 Infinitys smoked the >$11,000 MLs." A zero can mean so much. Let the whinning and crying continue....

Tim

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Real quality doesnt come cheap, a well constructed full range loudspeaker simply costs .
There are reasonably well made small speakers with for example very good FR response , these might initially sound very good, neutral FR is just a part off course.

I think there are a number of factors what make a good speaker and fits your taste .

First of all , there is freq response i think from expirience that people find a 2,5 dB -+ bandwith acceptable in a loudspeaker, a narrower bandwith beeing better off course , this being the 250 Hz till at least 20 khz area .
The bass can be more elevated because most people just love bass energy , so a bit extra dB s there wont matter , (it might also correct for poor recording mics who have a big bass roll off, so extra db s there might be more neutral instead of flat response)
Other thing is correct/optimum phase in my opinion , meaning the different units moving as one when producing a music tone , the ear is very sensitive for that and one can disguard a speaker within seconds if its not up to standard /optimized .
Next is enclosure , more stiff/non resonant means more decay of tones
and clearer sound.
Unit construction /membrane material is also very much a matter of taste some like ceramic some paper and so on
there are a million ways to construct a flat freq response in the crossover
1 order /second order parallel /series what ever, and every manufacturer does his own thing .
just my 2 cents , henk jan

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk
By the way, do you know how many of the samples in Meyer & Moran were not legitimate hi-res?

Tim

The music

While this list is not complete, most of the tests were done using these discs.

Patricia Barber – Nightclub (Mobile Fidelity UDSACD 2004)
Chesky: Various -- An Introduction to SACD (SACD204)
Chesky: Various -- Super Audio Collection & Professional Test Disc (CHDVD 171)
Stephen Hartke: Tituli/Cathedral in the Thrashing Rain; Hilliard Ensemble/Crockett (ECM New Series 1861, cat. no. 476 1155, SACD)
Bach Concertos: Perahia et al; Sony SACD
Mozart Piano Concertos: Perahia, Sony SACD
Kimber Kable: Purity, an Inspirational Collection SACD T Minus 5 Vocal Band, no cat. #
Tony Overwater: Op SACD (Turtle Records TRSA 0008)
McCoy Tyner Illuminati SACD (Telarc 63599)
Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon SACD (Capitol/EMI 82136)
Steely Dan, Gaucho, Geffen SACD
Alan Parsons, I, Robot DVD-A (Chesky CHDD 2003)
BSO, Saint-Saens, Organ Symphony SACD (RCA 82876-61387-2 RE1)
Carlos Heredia, Gypsy Flamenco SACD (Chesky SACD266)
Shakespeare in Song, Phoenix Bach Choir, Bruffy, SACD (Chandos CHSA 5031)
Livingston Taylor, Ink SACD (Chesky SACD253)
The Persuasions, The Persuasions Sing the Beatles, SACD (Chesky SACD244)
Steely Dan, Two Against Nature, DVD-A (24,96) Giant Records 9 24719-9
McCoy Tyner with Stanley Clark and Al Foster, Telarc SACD 3488

So, do we have any idea which of these ended up not being true hi-res?

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Real quality doesnt come cheap, a well constructed full range loudspeaker simply costs .

I hear you talking and I know you're speaking the conventional wisdom, but I'm sitting here looking at the measurements, and reading the results of very professionally-designed and executed blind listening tests, conducted with trained, experienced listeners, and if that "I" does, indeed, stand for Infinity, your conventional wisdom is down in flames. Could Harmon have skewed the tests? Sure. How stupid would that be? They aren't running the tests to prove something to Audiophiles on the internet, they're doing it to drive their own product development. They're not screwing around or making excuses for anything.

Tim

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
There is no magic in loudspeakerdesign , there also is no free ride also .
Depends what one looks for , enjoyable sound or accurate sound .
Accurate sound is more enjoyable in the long run , but it needs listeneracclimatisation

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
How so? And what doesn't it work in mono? What if I have sound in just one speaker? I will sound bad then?

Sorry to reply so late.

The argument is that theh speakers were set up as recommended by the manufacturer. I am not aware of a recomended mono setup procedure. I have not consulted a manual in awhile. I have listened in mono but with two speakers using the mono switch on the amp/preamp. I would think the difference in mono and stereo is well documented at this point.
Whether something "sounds bad" to an aidince of one is not only vague but listener dependent.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
So, do we have any idea which of these ended up not being true hi-res?

Tim

From here: http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/42987//y?page=first

For example, the Perahia Mozart SACD -- there is no hi-rez Mozart concerti recording by Perahia. There is one old analogue recording converted to DSD, and an early digital recording in the 80s that is basically CD quality to start with. Neither are appropriate to use in the test. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is also analogue, and would not contain high frequency sounds. Nor is it acoustic. Same goes for Alan Parsons project. The BSO, Saint-Saens, Organ Symphony SACD (RCA 82876-61387-2 RE1) is a 1959 recording.
Steely Dan, Gaucho is NOT Hi-rez: it is originally a 1980 LP /1984 RBCD release.
The Carlos Heredia, Gypsy Flamenco is not hi-rez either: it is a mid-1990s recording that pre-dates the entire SACD format.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Reminds me of this. I'm fairly certain B is B&W 802.

It seems that Sean is testing the new Primus against even more expensive competitors. And it's still kicking butt. Have you heard these? Properly amplified - and they present a pretty easy, even load so that's not a huge challenge - they go way beyond "bang for the buck."

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
There is no magic in loudspeakerdesign , there also is no free ride also .
Depends what one looks for , enjoyable sound or accurate sound .
Accurate sound is more enjoyable in the long run , but it needs listeneracclimatisation

Evidently not. Well, I suppose it depends on how long you think it takes to acclimate. A few hours? Long enough for some folks to listen to some different music samples on some different speakers and conclude that accurate is more enjoyable? That's what the Harman test shows. That's a pretty short long run.

Tim

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It's not really important to me whther someone likes or dislikes a particular product.

It does however present an interesting point to discusi AMIRMs "reverse Dororthy-esqe expereince" (if you saw the Wizard od OZ,If you have not, please do so immediaitely). When Doprthy first confrontss the Wizard she views him as omniscient and omnipotent cowering in fear at his very presence. hhen defrocked by ToTo her view changes to just a harmless oldman playing a cruel hoax. AMIRM is impressed by the ML sighted not so much blind.

The real question is of course: How do we account for such a daimetric opinion change. If we then assume AMIRM is being genuine as we must, the only thing that changed is knowledge ofspeaker branmodeld.

Before I go any further, Let me ask AMIRM was it just your opinion M/L cnge or was it your overall ranking that changed?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Sorry to reply so late.

The argument is that theh speakers were set up as recommended by the manufacturer. I am not aware of a recomended mono setup procedure. I have not consulted a manual in awhile. I have listened in mono but with two speakers using the mono switch on the amp/preamp. I would think the difference in mono and stereo is well documented at this point.
Whether something "sounds bad" to an aidince of one is not only vague but listener dependent.
Mono in this case means one speaker heard on axis. They are not playing two speakers in mono.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t think a bit of skepticism/questioning is out of order with regards to Harman’s test methods and results. Harman builds speakers that give excellent anechoic measurements. Harman trains listeners on what to listen for and Harman says that one trained listener is worth 7 untrained listeners (and professional reviewers are viewed by Harman as untrained listeners). The trained listeners get the sweet spot seats in every session and the unwashed masses fend for themselves. It sounds like between the sessions that people talk and compare notes which doesn’t sound right as it could influence the next round of testing.

Near as I can tell, Harman speakers win every shootout against the competition. I asked the question numerous times: “Does any non-Harman speaker ever win a shootout.” I never got an answer. The closest I came was when Amir said that one person picked a non-Harman speaker. If I read that correctly, that would be statistically insignificant and would mean that the Harman speaker still ‘won.’

In summary, Harman designs their speakers to measure and sound a certain way. Listeners are trained on what to listen for so they can pick out the obviously superior Harman designs. Listening tests are conducted in mono, but I didn’t read anywhere if the speaker is fed a L+R signal or a true mono signal. Harman speakers, Harman controlled testing, Harman trained listeners, and Harman speakers win every time. Hmm. It appears the deck is a little stacked is all I’m saying even though some people want to ascribe nothing but pure motives on Harman’s part.

Now here is a telling question: How many people on this forum personally own speakers that fall under the Harman brand? And if you have an old pair of pre-Harmon JBLs or any other brand they sucked up before they were actually built under Harman’s umbrella, they don’t count. Inquiring minds want to know the answer.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing