New Dedicated Listening Room

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Well, it's finally coming true. My wife has 'Re-purposed" her life from the corporate grind. That means the anchor of the city no longer holds us. With our new freedom we bought a 5 acre propery that has a main house with semi detached 2 car garage and living space above.

The property also has a 3 bay RV garage and 2 bedroom guest house. We have lots of options.

I'm also excited it has a large organic garden. I have a strong passion for personal food production. I want not only egg chickens but meat chicken. I'm not raising other animals. Although I can legally harvest deer on the land.

But back to audio. I am going to design my room with an exposed back wall to allow electrical modifications as I go along. I will lean towards Robert Harleys design. No built in treatments. Probably RSC channel and 2 layers of drywall. From there I will add treatments as the room and gear ask. I will also have a chance to add subs.

In the short term, Kingrex is a little stalled. I have to mail a panel that is built. But I won't have access to a shop for about 4 months. Once in the home I have a lot of remodeling to do. My wife's comfort comes first. Mine too. The last guy won no design awards. I'm basically gutting the house. There is even a wall that needs to move back 3 feet. That requires a beam to pocket in the ceiling. Thats going to require some help. Otherwise I'm tackling most all the rest. That all means I can make a panel for someone as needed. But I just don't have time for all the hand holding. I can't do the normal 30 to 50 email. 3 to 10 phone calls. Custom specs. Custom marked up drawings. Its too time consuming. Just making a panel takes me 10 to 12 hours. I can provide a generic spec and drawing set for the contractor.

Once we take possession which is May 1st, I will start taking pictures. The listening room itself will probably be a year or more out. I won't have much of a stereo for a while. I have some Bose 803 and an integrated amp. That will have to do.

Last bit about the land. We are about a block and a half to a coffee shop, pizza joint, and the main art and performance venue on the island. Pretty famous names come to town. It's a very art - and music friendly community. There are a lot of bands on the island too. The way the land sits I could probably host 100 or more people for live outdoor events. Nothing like getting to know the community by hosting a band and pit roasting a pig
As for audiophiles, it has a great 600 foot space in the semi detached garage above where I plan the media room to be. A good place for friends and family to stay. The other guest house is currently a rental and will probably stay that way.

Thanks all for reading
Rex

jjhf1234

Jan 1, 2023
Sounds like an amazing property, congratulations!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Well, it's finally coming true. My wife has 'Re-purposed" her life from the corporate grind. That means the anchor of the city no longer holds us. With our new freedom we bought a 5 acre propery that has a main house with semi detached 2 car garage and living space above.

The property also has a 3 bay RV garage and 2 bedroom guest house. We have lots of options.

I'm also excited it has a large organic garden. I have a strong passion for personal food production. I want not only egg chickens but meat chicken. I'm not raising other animals. Although I can legally harvest deer on the land.

But back to audio. I am going to design my room with an exposed back wall to allow electrical modifications as I go along. I will lean towards Robert Harleys design. No built in treatments. Probably RSC channel and 2 layers of drywall. From there I will add treatments as the room and gear ask. I will also have a chance to add subs.

In the short term, Kingrex is a little stalled. I have to mail a panel that is built. But I won't have access to a shop for about 4 months. Once in the home I have a lot of remodeling to do. My wife's comfort comes first. Mine too. The last guy won no design awards. I'm basically gutting the house. There is even a wall that needs to move back 3 feet. That requires a beam to pocket in the ceiling. Thats going to require some help. Otherwise I'm tackling most all the rest. That all means I can make a panel for someone as needed. But I just don't have time for all the hand holding. I can't do the normal 30 to 50 email. 3 to 10 phone calls. Custom specs. Custom marked up drawings. Its too time consuming. Just making a panel takes me 10 to 12 hours. I can provide a generic spec and drawing set for the contractor.

Once we take possession which is May 1st, I will start taking pictures. The listening room itself will probably be a year or more out. I won't have much of a stereo for a while. I have some Bose 803 and an integrated amp. That will have to do.

Last bit about the land. We are about a block and a half to a coffee shop, pizza joint, and the main art and performance venue on the island. Pretty famous names come to town. It's a very art - and music friendly community. There are a lot of bands on the island too. The way the land sits I could probably host 100 or more people for live outdoor events. Nothing like getting to know the community by hosting a band and pit roasting a pig
As for audiophiles, it has a great 600 foot space in the semi detached garage above where I plan the media room to be. A good place for friends and family to stay. The other guest house is currently a rental and will probably stay that way.

Thanks all for reading
Rex
Congratulations Rex… looking forward to the project unfolding, sounds like there’s lots of opportunities to explore. Very exciting times ahead.

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Congratulations, the fun is ahead!
Remember the destination is immaterial at this point, the journey is everything!

Reactions: ErVikingo

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
My congrats as well, Rex! Good luck with the move and everything that follows.

audioguy3107

Jul 30, 2018
Atlanta, Ga
That's awesome Rex, congrats on the new property. Looking forward to seeing what you create!

- Buck

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
very cool Rex, very happy for you. i could tell this was an 'end game' spot for you and your wife the way you spoke about it last week. neat when things work out.

soon you begin.....and you have options. it will be fun hearing about the progress.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Once we take possession which is May 1st, I will start taking...

Does the ferry have a frequent floater's club or will you be slumming it in on the cargo deck with your daily weight allotment of construction/demolition material? Sounds quite the project and logistical undertaking that might go some ways towards explaining the last guy winning no awards in modern decor or design.

A more cunning man would set up his listening room by mid-May and develop a sudden interest in guiding active younger audiophiles towards his orbit. ;)

John T

Feb 15, 2022

Thanks all for reading
Rex
Congrats Rex! Just wonderful! I Homesteaded for over 20 years. Raised all of our own meat, rabbits, chickens, goat, hogs, and steers. Lots of deer. Along with organic gardening. A few months back I helped a young couple butcher 25 meat birds, Ginger Broilers, nice meat bird. (I was impressed with the breed) Had as many as 50 layers one-time, (Rhode Island Reds) local diner bought all the eggs. If you ever have any questions do not hesitate...It's a great direction you have chosen...Good luck with everything...

Reactions: Johan K

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Vashon? Bainbridge?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Congrats Rex! Just wonderful! I Homesteaded for over 20 years. Raised all of our own meat, rabbits, chickens, goat, hogs, and steers. Lots of deer. Along with organic gardening. A few months back I helped a young couple butcher 25 meat birds, Ginger Broilers, nice meat bird. (I was impressed with the breed) Had as many as 50 layers one-time, (Rhode Island Reds) local diner bought all the eggs. If you ever have any questions do not hesitate...It's a great direction you have chosen...Good luck with everything...
I would like to talk.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I am excited for the process. I was the GC on the house we are in now. I put my hands on a lot of the work too. I enjoy building, and find I put more time and care into it than most.

I have some crazy idea for the media room. Not sure what I will do yet. Its a square so will need adjustments. Its something like 24 x 24 x 12. But a good size box makes a space to work in. I heard a system in NY that was in a basement. 2x4 wood with RSC and 2 layers of drywall. One of the best imaging systems I have heard. I want to keep the room as large as possible. I want a bar in it. And there are a lot of musicians in the area. It would be amazing to have people over and 1 or 2 play along with the stereo. I get that is going to impact ultimate performance. Just a thought???

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
...room within a room could be pretty interesting with those dimensions.
Thats what it would have to be. Chopping off some will allow that open wall beind to land open wiring. The ceiling will probably have to drop too. That will also keep sound from going upstairs.

Actually, the upstairs is out primary remodel and live in while I attack the main house. Once we are in the master, that room will be the media room. 600 sq ft with a vaulted ceiling. I will have the stereo there to start. Probably the TV on one wall with the stere on the opposite. I will have one room in maybe 6 months.

John T

Feb 15, 2022

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014

Thanks all for reading
Rex
Pictures?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Next week I am bringing some stuff to the RV garage. I can't get in the house. The prior owners are there till May 1st. Part of our Off Market offer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing