The Devil is in the Detail

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
btw; i have no issue with Mikey targeting a particular presentation to his customers or viewers. and being honest about it. where i have an issue is that he claims that you to have to choose to eliminate a system's ability to create excitement in the process. and if Jay also sees it that way but leans toward excitement and you have to only choose one way, then i also don't agree.

it's simply not an either/or proposition.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
so do you agree? is this a binary situation as described by these guys? do we have to choose what our system can do and it's only one thing?

maybe it's refreshing for two Youtube audio guys to play nice? i can see that.

Mike, this interesting thread went dormant, and I stumbled on this video and was reminded of the topic here. I thought I would post a link and share it. I described my opinion on the subject of the OP up thread. Check out posts # 6 and # 11. We do not need to repeat ourselves.

What I find refreshing is the presentation of the video. It is a bit different from the typical show reports. Two guys chatting about values, system goals, and how to achieve them. It is a visual and audible version of a written thread discussion. You can hear the sound of the system, hear Jay describing it too, and then a discussion with the guy who assembled the system and his goals. It is packed with content and I find that very worthwhile. Whether one agrees or disagrees with that content is a different matter. You can choose to watch or not watch. I am just sharing what I found and my thoughts about it.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, this interesting thread went dormant, and I stumbled on this video and was reminded of the topic here. I thought I would post a link and share it. I described my opinion on the subject of the OP up thread. Check out posts # 6 and # 11. We do not need to repeat ourselves.

What I find refreshing is the presentation of the video. It is a bit different from the typical show reports. Two guys chatting about values, system goals, and how to achieve them. It is a visual and audible version of a written thread discussion. You can hear the sound of the system, hear Jay describing it too, and then a discussion with the guy who assembled the system and his goals. It is packed with content and I find that very worthwhile. Whether one agrees or disagrees with that content is a different matter. You can choose to watch or not watch. I am just sharing what I found and my thoughts about it.
fair enough. agree it's different than the ranting vibe we mostly see from those. the white flags and kum ba yah were out in force.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
As someone that goes to live music I want excitement and envolvement they are certainly not mutually exclusive. I think many have no direction in thier process and therefore are making choices with flawed goals.
Are you looking for the sound of live unamplified music? Live amplified music? The mike feed on a record? what is the goal? The industry has decended into whatever I like is the best and if that is the case then what is the purpose of any of this?
So two people discussing whether they choose one compromise versus the other when they are both obviously flawed makes little sense to me. I want it all and so do my clients. If you are willing to do the work and pay the price both financially and effort wise then why does one have to settle for one half of the whole. Peace and love haha

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Respectfully, is that not more or less what OCD Mikey is describing and demonstrating with his system? He actually describes his goal, defines it, and seems to think he has achieved it, and it is emotional connection. This seems to be the whole point of his talk. They mention focus on "detail" as sometimes getting in the way of that, which is what I think the message in the Opening Post is all about. I was looking for some show reporting and rooms not covered here, and came across this video of our friends Jay and OCD. I find it rather refreshing.
I didn’t watch the video.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing