I am going to build a highly modded NUC - I need recommendations and have some questions

Xymox

Apr 16, 2019
www.appletvx.com
I have been asked by a bunch of people to try modding a NUC like crazy to adapt it to audio use. Apply everything I know from building the AppleTV X and Switch X.

I have handy a number of music servers and a lot of experience doing super high end setups. Taiko is my current reference. I have some very high end systems I can use in development of this modded NUC.

SO... I don't know NUCs for audio use. There are so many and I need to pick a unit to base my work on. I also have some general ideas and design topology I want to go towards.

Size matters. In this case, smaller is better. The reason is technical. The longer each trace is on a PCB the more it acts like a antenna both transmitting and receiving noise. Nice short well managed traces with a good backplane. This will lead to less noise on the traces and on the buss signals between chips. All the chips close together also makes for better power supply delivery and management. Long power supply traces induce issues. Of course too small and things can bleed into each other. But one thing for sure, I do not want a big PC style Mother Board.

That said.. I do need some room inside. I would like to land some biggerish caps. So I need some open space.

I would like to be able to run off 12V, better yet 14v. The 19V thing is kinda annoyingly high. I will use a 4 pin noise canceling r-core based linear.

I don't want hardware I dont need. I dont need any kind of serious graphic chip. Well. Unless I also want to make it more of a universal box that could also do video streaming like a AppleTV.

I need a good USB for use with a external DAC.

I DO NOT need a lot of CPU power. More power = more noise. Its physics. So a lower power CPU that will run roon or various other UPnP applications would be good. Again, I don't need much in GPU power, just CPU power.

I will need a LOT of SSD. RAID 1.

I dont think I will need a lot of RAM ?

I would like a SFP+ port. It needs to be 10Gbps ready.

For a OS I think I prefer Linux, my fav is FreeBSD but that is not practical. I suppose the NUC should also be capable of Windows. But Windows just has too much going on and so I would rather use a *nix based solution. My goals are very low processing jitter, buss jitter and ram/SSD jitter. *Nix is a better way to go then windows because windows has so much chatter thru the CPU.

So my thoughts are that you guys could help suggest some hardware. You have a LOT more experience then I I will then go thru a R&D process and some of you could be beta testers. We could develop a product that should be pretty killer and also not break the bank. My direct A/B during R&D will be a Taiko.

There are just so many NUCs its hard to know which and you guys might have some great suggestions.

Reactions: Pokey77

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
Your question is beyond my technical competence, but have you watched Gabster's Roon ROCK NUC build on YouTube? It's not really what you're asking about, but I built one exactly as he detailed, and it's certainly better than the Windows-based mini pc I was using for Roon before.
Good luck...I'll be eagerly watching for updates from you!

BKDad

Jan 15, 2024
CT - USA
I have been asked by a bunch of people to try modding a NUC like crazy to adapt it to audio use. Apply everything I know from building the AppleTV X and Switch X.

I have handy a number of music servers and a lot of experience doing super high end setups. Taiko is my current reference. I have some very high end systems I can use in development of this modded NUC.

SO... I don't know NUCs for audio use. There are so many and I need to pick a unit to base my work on. I also have some general ideas and design topology I want to go towards.

Size matters. In this case, smaller is better. The reason is technical. The longer each trace is on a PCB the more it acts like a antenna both transmitting and receiving noise. Nice short well managed traces with a good backplane. This will lead to less noise on the traces and on the buss signals between chips. All the chips close together also makes for better power supply delivery and management. Long power supply traces induce issues. Of course too small and things can bleed into each other. But one thing for sure, I do not want a big PC style Mother Board.

That said.. I do need some room inside. I would like to land some biggerish caps. So I need some open space.

I would like to be able to run off 12V, better yet 14v. The 19V thing is kinda annoyingly high. I will use a 4 pin noise canceling r-core based linear.

I don't want hardware I dont need. I dont need any kind of serious graphic chip. Well. Unless I also want to make it more of a universal box that could also do video streaming like a AppleTV.

I DO NOT need a lot of CPU power. More power = more noise. Its physics. So a lower power CPU that will run roon or various other UPnP applications would be good. Again, I don't need much in GPU power, just CPU power.

For a OS I think I prefer Linux, my fav is FreeBSD but that is not practical. I suppose the NUC should also be capable of Windows. But Windows just has too much going on and so I would rather use a *nix based solution. My goals are very low processing jitter, buss jitter and ram/SSD jitter. *Nix is a better way to go then windows because windows has so much chatter thru the CPU.

So my thoughts are that you guys could help suggest some hardware. You have a LOT more experience then I I will then go thru a R&D process and some of you could be beta testers. We could develop a product that should be pretty killer and also not break the bank. My direct A/B during R&D will be a Taiko.

There are just so many NUCs its hard to know which and you guys might have some great suggestions.

Three comments...

Somebody who should know told me that Intel is getting out of the NUC business. That might affect your thinking.

I am using Daphile here in an actual Intel NUC as the entire operating system and audio application. It's the best I've used, with regard to performance. I put 32 Gb of memory into the NUC so that I could load all the songs I want to play at one sitting into memory and play from there. That obviously gets around the SSD jitter problem and some of the bus jitter.

I think most of the NUCs will operate with supply voltages below 19VDC. Obviously, the current draw scales accordingly. I'd bet the internal switching supplies are more efficient at the higher voltage, I2R and all that.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

You should go over to audiophilestyle.com and read the threads there. Many threads on bullding NUCs.

On a side note, people have found that higher powered CPUs sound better than low powered CPUs. It may sound counterintuitive to your thinking but that’s been pretty well estabilished.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I have a Roon Rock NUC in a silent Akasa case. It is good. I will say I've tried Windows based for Roon, and the Roon Rock linux setup and the Rock/linux was clearly better sonically. A incredibly simplified OS compare to the bloat of Windows, even the stripped down Windows some are using has dozens more processes running than a stripped down Linux build.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
This just dropped! New Roon Titan Server. All the aesthetics, none of the sound! The thing to beat :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: BKDad

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023

Hi, Xymox. Any progress? Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing