Do we hear differently?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have that George Piros mastered LP.

Nice. He did the best mastering jobs for Atlantic, Mercury and many other labels. He was noted for getting good dynamic cuts on his work! And the Yes LP s definitely dynamic but is missing so much in comparison to the tape including low end, ambience, atmosphere, information, etc. One thing that I've come to the realization is that most LPs, even those from the Golden Era, were still cut with the turntables of the day in mind. Even today, with better equipment, there is still some loss/restriction of low end and dynamics on LPs.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir,
Just followed your link & the link to the Bryston amp review is broken - here's one that now works http://www.4audio.rs/upload/File/Bryston/Bryston review 49.pdf
Compelling stuff indeed!
I don't know the Swedish forum link would you have it handy?
The original site has been disbanded which had a lot of useful info. Here is one bit that remains on the test fixture: http://www.sonicdesign.se/amptest.htm

And this: http://translate.google.com/transla...0%9D&hl=en&rlz=1C1SNNT_enUS374US375&prmd=ivns

If I find the swedish forum link, I will post it.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I will name one: experimenter bias. Say I want to make sure you can't tell the difference between a sports car and a quiet mid-sized car. I want to show that you are wasting your money buying the expensive sports car. So I set up a test where we don't measure acceleration, corning or braking. Instead, I have you slowly speed up and slow down and ask you which one you like better. You may then pick the quiet mid-sized car. I accomplish my goal even though I abide by all of the rules of proper testing.

If had to pick one major beef with DBT tests of audio, that is it. Someone sets to prove XYZ has no value. Without understanding what it takes to find said difference, they jump to the execution stage and wouldn't you know, they find no difference. They then stop because that is the results they wanted.

Such is the issue with counting on negative outcomes. Going by your analogy of a woman on the phone, what if the assertion was that all women are just as beautiful and yet, you conducted the test that way?

So I have some more questions. How do you, other than a mono speaker, eliminate the issue of where you're sitting affecting the results. Or that the differences are more subtle than the test can show due to the listeners lack of experience with the system. Lastly, how do you differentiate say in the case of the ML between a speaker that is extremely revealing of everything upstream and another speaker that obfuscates the issues and might make the sound more pleasant.

Perhaps they should do like Brian Cheney (and others) have done: have a musician perform live, record them and then play it back through the speakers. Then we're getting somewhere.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So I have some more questions. How do you, other than a mono speaker, eliminate the issue of where you're sitting affecting the results.
Who do you eliminate that when you evaluate speakers sighted?

Or that the differences are more subtle than the test can show due to the listeners lack of experience with the system.
I didn't find any differences subtle. If they are, how are you able to detect them sighted?

Lastly, how do you differentiate say in the case of the ML between a speaker that is extremely revealing of everything upstream and another speaker that obfuscates the issues and might make the sound more pleasant.
If it could be shown that the former had better measurements that would be one thing. But one look at the ML shows the exact opposite. Clearly it does not have transparent response to the source. Research shows that we are actually quite good at detecting such distortions even lacking a reference. This might be helpful from Dr. Toole's Book of acoustics:

"No matter how meticulously the playback equipment has been chosen and set up, and no matter how much money has been lavished on exotic acoustical treatments, what we hear in our homes and cars is, in spatial terms, a matter of chance.

How can we measure something that subjectively we react to as art? Measurements are supposed to be precise, reproducible, and meaningful. Perceptions are inherently subjective, evanescent, subject to various nonauditory influences within and surrounding the human organism. However, perceiving flaws in sound reproducing systems appears to be an activity that we are able substantially to separate from our critique of the art itself. We can detect flaws in the reproduction of music of which we have no prior knowledge and in which we fi nd no pleasure.

As consumers of these programs, we cannot know what was intended for the sound of any of these programs. We were not there when they were created. We may have been at performances by similar, or even the same, musicians, but they were likely to have been in different venues and possibly amplified. None of us ever placed our ears where the microphones were located to capture the sounds, nor would we want to; we were almost certainly at a distance, in an audience. A simple reproduction of the microphone signals cannot duplicate the experience.

Descriptors like pleasantness and preference must therefore be considered as ranking in importance with accuracy and fidelity. This may seem like a dangerous path to take, risking the corruption of all that is revered in the purity of an original live performance. Fortunately, it turns out that when given the opportunity to judge without bias, human listeners are excellent detectors of artifacts and distortions; they are remarkably trustworthy guardians of what is good. Having only a vague concept of what might be correct, listeners recognize what is wrong. An absence of problems becomes a measure of excellence. By the end of this book, we will see that technical excellence turns out to be a high correlate of both perceived accuracy and emotional gratification, and most of us can recognize it when we hear it."

Perhaps they should do like Brian Cheney (and others) have done: have a musician perform live, record them and then play it back through the speakers. Then we're getting somewhere.
Shockingly, that is not the goal :). What the mic is recording (with rare exceptions) is not what you would be hearing if you were listening to the same presentation in person as addressed above. We are many steps and transformations away from that. Imagine hearing a concert in different seats vs being on stage.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Who do you eliminate that when you evaluate speakers sighted?

Materials and methodology 101. It is a problem that you can't eliminate can you?

I didn't find any differences subtle. If they are, how are you able to detect them sighted?

By long term familiarity with a system. Ever notice how you can tell when something's wrong with your system?

If it could be shown that the former had better measurements that would be one thing. But one look at the ML shows the exact opposite. Clearly it does not have transparent response to the source. Research shows that we are actually quite good at detecting such distortions even lacking a reference. This might be helpful from Dr. Toole's Book of acoustics:

"No matter how meticulously the playback equipment has been chosen and set up, and no matter how much money has been lavished on exotic acoustical treatments, what we hear in our homes and cars is, in spatial terms, a matter of chance.

Again how can you tell that the ML isn't telling you what you're source really sounds like. Based on what you've posted, that original signal has undergone so much processing that one wonders whether it really sounds like the original recording.

How can we measure something that subjectively we react to as art? Measurements are supposed to be precise, reproducible, and meaningful. Perceptions are inherently subjective, evanescent, subject to various nonauditory influences within and surrounding the human organism. However, perceiving flaws in sound reproducing systems appears to be an activity that we are able substantially to separate from our critique of the art itself. We can detect flaws in the reproduction of music of which we have no prior knowledge and in which we fi nd no pleasure.

And if we designed by the numbers and eliminate the human response, we'd be stuck with more halls like those designed by Cyril Harris. Should have sounded perfect but sounded like dreck from day one.

As consumers of these programs, we cannot know what was intended for the sound of any of these programs. We were not there when they were created. We may have been at performances by similar, or even the same, musicians, but they were likely to have been in different venues and possibly amplified. None of us ever placed our ears where the microphones were located to capture the sounds, nor would we want to; we were almost certainly at a distance, in an audience. A simple reproduction of the microphone signals cannot duplicate the experience.

Descriptors like pleasantness and preference must therefore be considered as ranking in importance with accuracy and fidelity. This may seem like a dangerous path to take, risking the corruption of all that is revered in the purity of an original live performance. Fortunately, it turns out that when given the opportunity to judge without bias, human listeners are excellent detectors of artifacts and distortions; they are remarkably trustworthy guardians of what is good. Having only a vague concept of what might be correct, listeners recognize what is wrong. An absence of problems becomes a measure of excellence. By the end of this book, we will see that technical excellence turns out to be a high correlate of both perceived accuracy and emotional gratification, and most of us can recognize it when we hear it."
Shockingly, that is not the goal :). What the mic is recording (with rare exceptions) is not what you would be hearing if you were listening to the same presentation in person as addressed above. We are many steps and transformations away from that. Imagine hearing a concert in different seats vs being on stage.

So it's better to use a recording that the participants know nothing about and make a judgement about the sound of the recording? How do they know what's right?

Just wondering if you've ever done a live vs. recorded event? If not, you might find it interesting when you can sit close to a simple instrument like a guitar, just how badly digital recreates the sound and harmonic envelope of the instrument.

Bottom line is that these are far from perfect experiments and should be taken with a grain of salt knowing what we know about hearing, psychology, physiology, statistics, etc. (For instance, to demonstrate any scientifically valid statistical effect with 50 people knowing what we know about interaural differences, is basically ridiculous eg. the results are rigged before the study even begins.)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Materials and methodology 101. It is a problem that you can't eliminate can you?
Well, it is a hell of a lot more accommodated here than you can when doing your own evaluations. Speakers are shuffled to the exact same position every time. When you do personal evaluation you are doing it in different time and space. So if there is an issue here, it completely renders ad-hoc evaluations useless!
By long term familiarity with a system. Ever notice how you can tell when something's wrong with your system?
No I don't. The longer the period, the less I remember small differences. Even larger differences can be forgotten or imagined. Do you have a listening test where as time goes by accuracy improves? I have tested myself many times and I am confident of what I know relative to my detection ability. The best detection for me is when the switch time is well under a second.

The other problem with long term testing is adaptation. The brain learns to forget artifacts. Take a projector that has a fan that makes noise. When you first walk in, you instantly hear it. Start watching the movie and after a while you "forget" about it and don't even know it is doing that.

Again how can you tell that the ML isn't telling you what you're source really sounds like. Based on what you've posted, that original signal has undergone so much processing that one wonders whether it really sounds like the original recording.
There are two domains: what led to the capture of the content. And what leads to its reproduction. We can't connect one end to the other. But we can try to best reproduce the middle common ground. Would you buy an amplifier that had the response of this Martin Logan speaker (M) below?

For you to be right, we need to both ignore the listening test results and measurements. That is a pretty big hurdle. It can be done if you had data. A hypothesis against the facts is not :).

And if we designed by the numbers and eliminate the human response, we'd be stuck with more halls like those designed by Cyril Harris. Should have sounded perfect but sounded like dreck from day one.
I don't konw Cryil Harris :). But do know that it is true that sometimes perfection sucks :). An anechoic chamber brings out the best in a speaker yet it is not a space that is pleasant for enjoyment of music. Our brain is so used to reflections in a room that it uses that as clues for intelligibility and sense of normalness (sp?). So yes, we do want what is pleasant and preferable to us and this test shows that result. It nullifies many of the variables and as such, yields much more accurate evaluations than our own ad-hoc testing. Not perfect by any means but the conclusions that lead to certain measurements which in turn lead to better designs.

So it's better to use a recording that the participants know nothing about and make a judgement about the sound of the recording? How do they know what's right?
I can't explain it to you any more than Dr. Toole did. You sit there wondering about this yet have little trouble scoring down the poorly sounding speaker. You think you are alone in that and it must be your taste. Then you see a bunch of other people voting like you and you realize that the power our brain has in interpreting what must be right. A boomy bass is just that: boomy. It is not right and you can tell that. Am amplifier clipping is wrong too and we can tell that with no reference.

Just wondering if you've ever done a live vs. recorded event? If not, you might find it interesting when you can sit close to a simple instrument like a guitar, just how badly digital recreates the sound and harmonic envelope of the instrument.
Unrelated to this topic. All speakers are receiving the same signal. If a speaker sounds worse on digital than another, it is the fault of the speaker. If there are speakers that are sold for analog sources only, I do not know about them.

Bottom line is that these are far from perfect experiments and should be taken with a grain of salt knowing what we know about hearing, psychology, physiology, statistics, etc. (For instance, to demonstrate any scientifically valid statistical effect with 50 people knowing what we know about interaural differences, is basically ridiculous eg. the results are rigged before the study even begins.)
I am not one to just jump on a bandwagon of this type. I have studied this work up and down. I have spoken at length with the researchers and sat through the testing myself. This is work that is presented at major conferences and journals such as AES and ASA. They represent major advances in what we should do in speaker design. If it were so ridiculous, they would have been countless papers saying so. Instead, there is nothing but respect for this work.

There is always this cry that what we hear does not correlate with what we measure. Well, here is work that with high confidence connects these two. It is remarkable that something this complex can be at the end of the day, very well understood. And this is not theory or one data point. Countless speakers have been designed using this methodology proving its efficacy. Same system has been used to evaluate and prove fidelity of car audio for billion dollar contracts.

As I have noted, lack of perfection does not invalidate test results. You have to look to see what can still be learned and a lot can. Indeed, I am confident any competent speaker designer believes in some or all of this. They may simply not be in a position from marketing, test and R&D resources, and desire for differentiation to follow it.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
This thread is awesome! :b

And Welcome songkim! :b

Best,
Bob

I find it kind of sad myself. It's like watching one of my own discussions, strengthened by Amir's much greater understanding of the science and by the very respectable data from Harman. But all the extra firepower doesn't accomplish a thing, because if it disagrees with what the Audiophile wants to believe in (the superiority of the pedigreed product), his conclusion is the same:

Any imperfections (even speculative ones) in the valid process = the legitimacy of the invalid process. And all else failing, the audiophile product isn't reproducing the recording, it is reproducing the live sound of which it has no knowledge, no reference. It manages to know what even the audiophile himself doesn't know, and reproduce it more accurately than the recording itself. Sentient wires and tubes and panels. Magic.

Amir is doing a better job than I can. The result, fantasy and head-bangingly stubborn denial is the same.

How people can write this stuff, read it back to themselves, and not immediately call their doctor is one of the great mysteries of the hobby.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
's only sad if you're trying to teach, preach or impeach.

I'm enjoying seeing where the different folks are coming from whether I agree with them or not.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

I'm enjoying seeing where the different folks are coming from whether I agree with them or not.

Teach, perhaps. Many of the people who indulge deepest in fantasy and denial about audio reproduction are respected authorities in the hobby. They are teachers whether they mean to be or not. Nah. I'm standing by sad. Not for the sake of teaching or preaching, but because the work Harmon is doing is good for the business, the industry, the hobby and the music. The stubborn, fantasy-based defense of bad fidelity is a destructive force for all of the above.

Tim

JasonI

Dec 3, 2010
This is about money. We should consider much of the industry corrupt and greedy. We enrich charlatans. Overall, I am for Gordon Gecko's greed is good ideology but I am anti-corruption. Other products fall into this category but I'll use the example of wires because they're a bright line. When one wire is said to be worth hundreds of thousands of times more than another wire, that wire should clearly outperform. Time and time again the results are not so clear and because of the muddled results, testing methods are refuted and claims of product superiority maintained. When I spend one hundred or more dollars on a single cable, that cable better do something that lamp cord can't even come close to. When I spend twenty thousand dollars on a cable, it should rub my feet when I get home from work and occasionally join my wife and me in the sack. It is unacceptable for an expensive cable to have even subtle differences from a cheap one. The difference has to be extreme.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
"enrich" is probably an exaggeration

;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Jack,
I agree with you. As long as people stay polite and friendly, the only sad think in WBF are really bad news and may be Tim sadness! ;)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
This is about money. We should consider much of the industry corrupt and greedy. We enrich charlatans. Overall, I am for Gordon Gecko's greed is good ideology but I am anti-corruption. Other products fall into this category but I'll use the example of wires because they're a bright line. When one wire is said to be worth hundreds of thousands of times more than another wire, that wire should clearly outperform. Time and time again the results are not so clear and because of the muddled results, testing methods are refuted and claims of product superiority maintained. When I spend one hundred or more dollars on a single cable, that cable better do something that lamp cord can't even come close to. When I spend twenty thousand dollars on a cable, it should rub my feet when I get home from work and occasionally join my wife and me in the sack. It is unacceptable for an expensive cable to have even subtle differences from a cheap one. The difference has to be extreme.

I just pissed myself! LOLOLOLOL!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Teach, perhaps. Many of the people who indulge deepest in fantasy and denial about audio reproduction are respected authorities in the hobby. They are teachers whether they mean to be or not. Nah. I'm standing by sad. Not for the sake of teaching or preaching, but because the work Harmon is doing is good for the business, the industry, the hobby and the music. The stubborn, fantasy-based defense of bad fidelity is a destructive force for all of the above.

Tim

Tim,

IMHO your post goes a dangerous route - trying to mix Harman scientific work and business.

As far as I see no one in this forum is in a vendetta against Harman - when we question their methods it is because their conclusions do not match ours and those of others we respect. Surely most of us in this forum are audio amateurs and the the scientific and empirical knowledge of F. Toole or S. Olive about these matters can eclipse our knowledge about these matters in our debates. But the fact that are dwarfs compared to them does not implicitly validate their points - surely anyone would prefer reading a debate between Dieter Burmester and S. Olive then our writings. But we can only dream about it.

We are now split between two threads debating the same issues, I would like to point that every company is evolutionary in their positions along time. In 2004 the company who designed the amplifiers used to carry the S. Olive tests wrote in their manuals:

The correlation between published specifications and performance is unreliable. A list of numbers reveals virtually nothing. All technical measurements must be subject to qualitative as well as quantitative interpretation. Measurements of the Proceed AMP yield excellent results by any standards. However, only those specifications that apply to its actual operation are included here.

I am sure they would not write it currently.

For me high-end debates are not only listening and science. History is also part of high-end. Any statement must be considered in its time and entourage.

JasonI

Dec 3, 2010
I wanted to also thank Amir for the Bryston amp review link. That's a novel enough device for Bryston to change their engineering. Nicely done.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I find it kind of sad myself. It's like watching one of my own discussions, strengthened by Amir's much greater understanding of the science and by the very respectable data from Harman. But all the extra firepower doesn't accomplish a thing, because if it disagrees with what the Audiophile wants to believe in (the superiority of the pedigreed product), his conclusion is the same:

Any imperfections (even speculative ones) in the valid process = the legitimacy of the invalid process. And all else failing, the audiophile product isn't reproducing the recording, it is reproducing the live sound of which it has no knowledge, no reference. It manages to know what even the audiophile himself doesn't know, and reproduce it more accurately than the recording itself. Sentient wires and tubes and panels. Magic.

Amir is doing a better job than I can. The result, fantasy and head-bangingly stubborn denial is the same.

How people can write this stuff, read it back to themselves, and not immediately call their doctor is one of the great mysteries of the hobby.

Tim

Tim, it is up to the readers to "decortiquer" the good from the various ideas.
And the good (I was very happy to see Amir in his good 'posting' form),
makes all the difference between 'awesome' and 'sad'.
I think.

You might feel sad, but it's people like you who incite others at offering their very best.
And just for that reason alone you should rejoice. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing