Beliefs About Time and Money

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Another Johnson writes:

It is a bad exchange to trade time for money.

Time is pricelessly finite.

Money has no value except to the extent that it facilitates your ability to improve the lives of your family, friends and community.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What do you think of each of these beliefs?

Do you think each statement is true, or false, or incomplete?

Reactions: Zarir

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
LOL! What if you have nothing but time, but no money. Or, you have tons of money, but no time to use or enjoy it?

Probably more productive to concentrate on the Zen principle that you have a moral obligation to find some positive joy in today's life, and stop trying to control the past and the future.

I had a friend now deceased who was an heiress of a famous fortune, who would walk around Pacific Heights and point at the houses of the people who had more money than her. "This and that person had SO MUCH money!" I had the impression that being exclusively controlled by very large amounts of money was not necessarily the most satisfactory way to live. She did not die a happy death.

I think it was David Geffen who said something to the effect that people who think money buys happiness are people who never had a lot of money.

So, where does that place the veblens commodity lust of high end audio and its status groupie cults? I don't think I will touch that one, except that wasting time on music is a good waste of time.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
LOL! What if you have nothing but time, but no money. Or, you have tons of money, but no time to use or enjoy it?

Probably more productive to concentrate on the Zen principle that you have a moral obligation to find some positive joy in today's life, and stop trying to control the past and the future.

I had a friend now deceased who was an heiress of a famous fortune, who would walk around Pacific Heights and point at the houses of the people who had more money than her. "This and that person had SO MUCH money!" I had the impression that being exclusively controlled by very large amounts of money was not necessarily the most satisfactory way to live. She did not die a happy death.

I think it was David Geffen who said something to the effect that people who think money buys happiness are people who never had a lot of money.

So, where does that place the veblens commodity lust of high end audio and its status groupie cults? I don't think I will touch that one, except that wasting time on music is a good waste of time.
The number of super wealthy folks I've known in my life that will say "now that guy, he's really rich" cannot be counted on one hand.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I think of fellows like Andrew Carnegie who did their best to give it away productively. Not like the bizarro world alternative of Brewster’s Millions where there is no goal but to make it go away.

Brewster could have dumped the whole load with one visit to a high end audio boutique in 2023. Maybe in the sequel they can write this idea into the script. :eek:

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
There is a Aesop story that touches on this. Aesop was a slave who lived centuries before the Common Era (BC).

There was a man who loved his gold. He had it melted and formed into a large golden lump and he buried it in the woods near his house.

Every day he would go to the woods to check on and admire his gold. A passerby noticed his trek to the woods one day, and curious, he followed him. When the gold’s owner left the woods, the passerby dug up the lump and stole it.

The next day when he went to visit, the lump of gold was gone. Panicked, he ran to his neighbors and to town to ask about it. But the effort was to no avail.

Finally, he sought advice from the wisest man in his community. The wise man thought about it, and pronounced a solution.

“Why don’t you take a large rock, paint it gold, and visit that every day? You’re not interested in using the money for anything, and so a rock will be just as good for visits as the lump of gold had been. “

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Another Johnson writes:

when faced with this dilemma a couple months ago, i retired. i was finished with my time going the other way.
when you are happy hopefully you are enjoying the moment.....and not fretting about tomorrow other than planning on being happy again.
Money has no value except to the extent that it facilitates your ability to improve the lives of your family, friends and community.
important to make good choices. there is a cost and value protecting and providing for what/who matters.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
There is a Aesop story that touches on this. Aesop was a slave who lived centuries before the Common Era (BC).

There was a man who loved his gold. He had it melted and formed into a large golden lump and he buried it in the woods near his house.

Every day he would go to the woods to check on and admire his gold. A passerby noticed his trek to the woods one day, and curious, he followed him. When the gold’s owner left the woods, the passerby dug up the lump and stole it.

The next day when he went to visit, the lump of gold was gone. Panicked, he ran to his neighbors and to town to ask about it. But the effort was to no avail.

Finally, he sought advice from the wisest man in his community. The wise man thought about it, and pronounced a solution.

“Why don’t you take a large rock, paint it gold, and visit that every day? You’re not interested in using the money for anything, and so a rock will be just as good for visits as the lump of gold had been. “

This sounds clever, but only at first blush. The advice giver here makes an assumption, which causes him to misunderstand why the man loved going to the woods to admire his gold.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Remember.... . Time, is the final currency....

A near death experience does change your priorities in life!

Reactions: slowGEEZR

orfeo_monteverdi

Jan 16, 2015
Europe

What do you think of each of these beliefs?
Do you think each statement is true, or false, or incomplete? // I would just reorder them, and maybe propose a little nuance.
[please forgive my poor English]

Interesting thoughts. Thanks.

0. Time is pricelessly finite.

Universal thruth.​
The clock is ticking for all of us. I am no longer a grand child since my last grand mother died a few weeks ago. We probably all are 'old' enough to realize that it will be, well, rather short... A nurse has recorded the most common regrets of the dying, and among the top ones is ‘I wish I hadn’t worked so hard’ (The Guardian).​

1. It is a bad exchange to trade time for money.

Indeed. But younger people, if they have no money, have no choice either, so they have to trade what is most precious (time) for what is most valuable for them (money). And they have time ahead (so much time, they think, that T.S. Elliott's sentence seems true to them: "life is long."...). Today, things are changing though amongst young people. It is a good thing.​

2.[superfluous] money has no value, except to the extent that it facilitates your ability to improve the lives of your family, friends and community [and buying good hifi gear, because life is too short for bad audio].
A study has shown that, beyond approx. $75.000/year of income, which covers the basic needs and some/many superfluous ones, people were actually not happier (depends of the cost of life in the country of course).​

Regarding point 0., when we, as music lovers, sit and listen (preferably, full-mindnessly), we chose to devoid our priceless time to what we consider as one the most valuable activity in life (besides love, family and friends).

(While I was writing this, the cat innocently stomped on the keyboard and discovered a keyboard shortcut that was unknown to me: the automatically-close-one-tab-after-another shortcut (stupid me, I used to do it manually, with Ctrl+W; the cat is smarter). Very efficient, to say the least. But -hey-, I know the Ctrl+Shift+T shortcut to restore "incatvertently" closed tabs (thanks to the excelent forum, the content had been saved). I laughed a lot, she meowed. We shared a happy moment in the day. Priceless.)

Last edited:

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022

The bolded portion of the conclusion above is one I subscribe to. Though truly I don't see it as a waste of time. I get that it was intended as tongue in cheek or a joke. haha

Last edited:

Leekg

Jan 17, 2022
Visalia, CA
[please forgive my poor English]

Interesting thoughts. Thanks.

0. Time is pricelessly finite.

Universal thruth.​
The clock is ticking for all of us. I am no longer a grand child since my last grand mother died a few weeks ago. We probably all are 'old' enough to realize that it will be, well, rather short... A nurse has recorded the most common regrets of the dying, and among the top ones is ‘I wish I hadn’t worked so hard’ (The Guardian).​

1. It is a bad exchange to trade time for money.

Indeed. But younger people, if they have no money, have no choice either, so they have to trade what is most precious (time) for what is most valuable for them (money). And they have time ahead (so much time, they think, that T.S. Elliott's sentence seems true to them: "life is long."...). Today, things are changing though amongst young people. It is a good thing.​

2.[superfluous] money has no value, except to the extent that it facilitates your ability to improve the lives of your family, friends and community [and buying good hifi gear, because life is too short for bad audio].
A study has shown that, beyond approx. $75.000/year of income, which covers the basic needs and some/many superfluous ones, people were actually not happier (depends of the cost of life in the country of course).​

Regarding point 0., when we, as music lovers, sit and listen (preferably, full-mindnessly), we chose to devoid our priceless time to what we consider as one the most valuable activity in life (besides love, family and friends).

(While I was writing this, the cat innocently stomped on the keyboard and discovered a keyboard shortcut that was unknown to me: the automatically-close-one-tab-after-another shortcut (stupid me, I used to do it manually, with Ctrl+W; the cat is smarter). Very efficient, to say the least. But -hey-, I know the Ctrl+Shift+T shortcut to restore "incatvertently" closed tabs (thanks to the excelent forum, the content had been saved). I laughed a lot, she meowed. We shared a happy moment in the day. Priceless.)
Smart cat. Clever feline too.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
If you were born or grew up in poverty or economic or political uncertainty, especially war, then money is often used as a form of security. Something very important, more than using it and different from hoarding it.

Larry

Reactions: cjfrbw

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
If you were born or grew up in poverty or economic or political uncertainty, especially war, then money is often used as a form of security. Something very important, more than using it and different from hoarding it.

Larry
That’s true, but it falls under the “improve the quality of life for you and your family” clause.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...is the MSB femto 33 clock upgrade a notable exception?

"Time isn't holding up, time isn't after us
Same as it ever was, the same as it ever was..."
THeads + BEno. Remain In Light

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
I would not subscribe to the notion that time is finite. Of course, speaking penultimately, Qoheleth offers sage wisdom regarding the enjoyment of life in this present age. Yet, this is tempered by considerations of the ultimate. Confusion exists, however, when we ultimatize the penultimate; this in regard both to use of time and money.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing