Does your family know what your system's worth?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
With no money to carry out big funeral, they may just cremate you and scatter the ashes on the Pacific Ocean. ;)

Naaah. If I go first I told Tinka I want her to freeze dry me and position me so I am standing just inside the entryway holding a shotgun at low ready.

Reactions: brad225 and Pokey77

PHAA_

Jan 4, 2024
Southeastern US
I really should have put down my cup and swallowed my tea before reading some of these replies.

My wife and I have had joint accounts since day one. 30+ years later............ Many moons ago I relinquished the finances to her. After the necessities and goals are met, I don't bother her about her hobbies and she knows not to bother me about mine. But, yes she knows what it costs because she checks our accounts every morning. She knows what comes in and when and she knows what goes out and when.

Though I would want the house to be passed down and remain in the family, ultimately, when I'm gone, I won't care anything about what's going on here. I'll have done my time. As for whoever gets the gear and 10k+ records - HHAAA!!!!! - Good luck! Hope you've got a strong back, motorscooter! Your problem, now! :D

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
If my wife knew how much I spent on audio over the years, she would be at the plastic surgeon's tomorrow morning telling them 'Give me the works'.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
If my wife knew how much I spent on audio over the years, she would be at the plastic surgeon's tomorrow morning telling them 'Give me the works'.
I have definitely done tit for tat, back when i still spent money on a wife ! ;)

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
If I pass first, while listening, odds are the gear will still be powered up 5 years later, with a 50/50 chance that I'll still be in the used-to-be sweet spot. My wife of 26 years tends to leave me to my own devices. The equipment doesn't register as an asset with her. Whoever can lift it, gets it. She doesn't need it.

If she passes first, the value of my system will be affected immensely ;)

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Depending on how old she is that might not be a bad thing....the only scary thing about the works is she may come out looking like Kenny Rogers.

Reactions: Pokey77

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
Depending on how old she is that might not be a bad thing....the only scary thing about the works is she may come out looking like Kenny Rogers.
Well then, you might just get a fishin’ buddy out of that!

Reactions: Tuckia

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Both my parents had lived until 86 years and 11 months.

But my father had stayed lot in hosptial for five years before death due to lung problem.

He smoked a lot between the age of 16 and 68.

My mother passed away peocefully after having dinner at home without serious illness.

But she had not done any serious exercise for 4 years before her death since she got her shoulder hurt when she fell down.

Doctor recommended her to get surgery but she refused.

I expect to live until 95 years old since I had not smoked and done regular excersice all along.

I had never smoked since I hated tobacco smell due to my father.

I drink once or twice a week even then only glass or two of wine.

I am rather fit with 5 ft 9 inches (177cm) tall but only 157 lb ( 75 kg).

Untitled_Panorama2-1gpeb-51.JPG
I do walk one mile fast around my town one hour after each meal.

I push up 30 times each time and do that five times a day.

The above photo was taken flying drone from my house at sunrise on Jan 1st, 2018 .

I had gone through complete medical checkup last November in Korea.

Everything was fine except one.

The only issue was slightly high blood pressure.

Since then I take medication and try to reduce coffeee intake with less salty food.

4S4A2608cd-3-22.JPG

I am now 64, but expect to enjoy audio hobby another 30 years at my house in Washington State.

I think PNW has the best weather to enjoy audio with reasonable electricity cost ( the lowest cost among 50 US states).

If you have chronic illness, then you had better make list of your audio components and approximate used prices just in case.

Otherwise, pay more attention to your health so that you can enjoy music longer. :D

Last edited:

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
If I shorten my life expectancy by 51.1days, I can afford the new Taiko Olympus upgrade.
If my wife passes first, I can live till 327 years old.
Just simple audiophile accounting.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Naaah. If I go first I told Tinka I want her to freeze dry me and position me so I am standing just inside the entryway holding a shotgun at low ready.
Is that to protect your equipment or stop potential suitors from approaching Tinka?:)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is that to protect your equipment or stop potential suitors from approaching Tinka?:)
If I wanted to protect the equipment I'd ask to be positioned outside the listening room door, right near Stevie Nicks.

IMG_0969.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: brad225 and Pokey77

Thundersnow

VIP/Donor
Nov 2, 2021
Look, I’m all for equality in the marriage — in other words I don’t see myself going first — it’s a 50-50 toss up! Wife is seven days older, I still have a fighting chance! We’ll see if she sells my gear or I sell her purses first!!!

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
I don't think my wife knows the totality.

But if I die, life insurance will take care of her and my system is peanuts comparatively so it doesn't matter either way.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

elrod

Apr 4, 2016
I believe in the don't ask don't tell principle theory. If they don't ask, I don't tell. They may not ask because they're afraid of what the answer will be...

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...and fortunately, only another audio fanatic would visit and say Holy Mackerel! is that an XXX amp or YYY speakers?! Wow. And they would keep the secret. Hiding in plain sight. A supercar? No way. No hiding that purchase.

Caveat: no hiding those giant exo-planetary Alien vs. Predator Wilson speakers either. They have the highest WAF/divorce risk score.

Reactions: thomask

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
Yes, good points. This is why it is important to buy dark components. It's camouflage in a poorly lit room. Chrome? Gold? Diamonds? Buy that and you are begging for an audit. Hint - thoriated tungsten filaments can be disguised as ambient lighting.

Spouse - "Why do you listen in the dark".
Audiofool - " So you can't see my latest purchase".

Also, when designing a listening room, be sure to include the equipment room behind the front wall. Minimizes air born vibration, provides access for electrical lines, transformers, etc.; and the lock on the door prevents thieves, cats, and spouses from intruding. ;)

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I believe in the don't ask don't tell principle theory. If they don't ask, I don't tell. They may not ask because they're afraid of what the answer will be...
How many wives do you have? I’m all in on don’t ask don’t tell, but I can’t help but think multiple wives would just increase the odds that one of them is going to ‘disappear’ the rest of us for material value.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I am finding this thread to provide me my daily laugh of the day. I hope it continues.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing