Porsche 911/718 Factory tour in Zuffenhausen & Museum visit

vintage_tube

Nov 1, 2012
East Coast
Returned recently from a 10-day vacation to visit old friends in Stuttgart Germany and take in the Christmas Market in Nuremberg, make a trip to the Neuschwanstein Castle (aka Disney) and return to the Stuttgart outlying area.

During the visit, I made an attempt to join a Porsche 911/718 Factory Tour at the Zuffenhausen facility followed up with a Museum visit. Zuffenhausen remains the only facility where ALL 911/718's and the new Taycan are built.

The day of the next English-speaking tour & without a confirmed slot, I was told to arrive 3 hours early and our intentions would be noted on a standby list for no show/cancellations within the allotted 15 slots.

The wife and I showed up about 3 hours early, made our presence known for standby and spent the time admiring the presentations & cars within the museum. It's immaculate and well laid out -- plenty of room to drop your jaw and read the placards of the cars on display.

As the time approached for the tour, there were 5 slots available and the wife & I were given lanyards, earphones and receiving devices & joined the other 10 tourers.

The factory is immaculate and extremely clean and were taken to every station except for the marriage of chassis and body as the factory was introducing prototypes in that line. The motor build area was interesting in that it takes 5 hours to build a 911/718 in 78 stations. Engines were rolling within a foot of our walkway on robot trollies. Don't touch.

We saw several 911 GT3 RS's being built - a black and a very pretty yellow.

Upon completion of the 2-hour tour, the wife and I revisited the museum and spent another couple hours walking about. I could have spent all day in the museum - it's that interesting.

If you ever make it to the Stuttgart area, the Porsche factory visit (if a slot is available or sign-up years ahead to schedule a tour & definitely visit the museum (same area). A memory & bucket list item for sure.

Enjoy the photos.

Bob
The entrance to the Porsche museum and factory (which is across the street and all over the area really).
IMG_3593.jpg
Fully equipped 911's with lights that come on at night - notice they are Stuttgart plated. Amazing.
IMG_3732.jpg
Thought of renting a 911 Carrera S - but decided against it as wasn't too sure of weather conditions -- black ice & snow don't agree with many 911's yet again not much else except for a snow mobile.
IMG_3598.jpg
IMG_3599.jpg
A 911 GT1 being serviced (I bet it melt a credit card)
IMG_3656.jpg
The starting point
IMG_3661.jpg
IMG_3663.jpg
That wing is huge
IMG_3707.jpg
A very rare 1 of 1 yellow on yellow
IMG_3691.jpg
A Baden Baden plated 911 GT1 on loan to the museum
IMG_3692.jpg

Last edited:

vintage_tube

Nov 1, 2012
East Coast
The rear of the GT1 -I think you'd remember it when he passes you.
IMG_3696.jpg IMG_3604.jpg
IMG_3677.jpg
Different iterations of the Porsche crest over the years
IMG_3705.jpg
IMG_3700.jpg
IMG_3682.jpg IMG_3683a.jpg
Can't keep it at 120kmph all the time. On an unrestricted section of the Autobahn -- the little Audi A3 was enjoying cruising as much as the wife and I.
IMG_2809.jpg

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
I 've done the tour of the factory and museum twice. The restaurant in the museum if Michelin quality and not to be missed.

vintage_tube

Nov 1, 2012
East Coast
I was stationed in Kornwestheim area and passed the factory everyday on the way to work - just never had the time to schedule a tour thu the recreation center. The restaurant is fabulous -- miss the coffee & pastries already.
Best to you Sir & Happy New Years,
Bob

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012
Thank you for your report. This tour is now part of my what to do list in 2024. All the best.

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
We had a tour with one other couple, followed by lunch in the restaurant, when we did a European delivery back in 2014. The museum is spectacular even if you aren’t a gearhead - just ask my wife. At the end of the tour we hopped into our new Cayman S and headed off to the Bavarian alps for a week of touring in glorious July weather. Honestly, one of the best holidays ever and HIGHLY recommended if you are in the market for a new Porsche.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

vintage_tube

Nov 1, 2012
East Coast
We had a tour with one other couple, followed by lunch in the restaurant, when we did a European delivery back in 2014. The museum is spectacular even if you aren’t a gearhead - just ask my wife. At the end of the tour we hopped into our new Cayman S and headed off to the Bavarian alps for a week of touring in glorious July weather. Honestly, one of the best holidays ever and HIGHLY recommended if you are in the market for a new Porsche.
Wow, that's awesome -- a true bucket list item for me for sure; however, as I age, I think that window is slowly closing (for European delivery).:(
Thank you for your report. This tour is now part of my what to do list in 2024. All the best.
I had confirmation number for the German language tour on 13 Dec at 1PM as when I made the reservation from the US, the English tour was full (only 15 slots). I didn't care if it was in German & even spoke with the museum prior to US departure -- they said no problem. When I showed up for the German language tour; the first question asked, did I speak fluent German. Of course, I said no. Chris at the check in desk said I couldn't attend as per their safety rules, etc. However, he said show up early the next day for the English tour and advise the desk of my intentions and I'd be put on a wait list (including the wife too - the German tour when I booked it only had 1 slot - she'd miss out). So, showed up at 10:30am, checked in and spent the 2 1/2 hours admiring the cars on display in the museum & placards & interactive screens in the museum. AT 1:05PM, there were 5 open slots and the wife, and I were given the lanyards, earpieces and receivers & joined the other 10.

If a Porsche enthusiast, it's a must attend event. You can check the Porsche web site for tours & sign up, but I've been told they are sold out until 2027. I happened to grab the one German language slot after someone kindly alerted Porsche they couldn't attend & the slot opened up on the website.

The 2-hour tour is 10 euros per person.

Bob

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Wow indeed What great experience! Kudos thank you for posting!

Ah memories:rolleyes: I did similar tour in 71 --certainly not as spectacular like todays I'd imagine!-but was accorded virtually Carte Blanche in the factory/production facilities, having been introduced to Ferry Porsche previously. One item I spot noticed in the design/dept happened to be a rough line drawing of that was remarkably similar to what was to become the 928-- Cool :) !
I have owned 2 911's.
BruceD

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
Wow indeed What great experience! Kudos thank you for posting!

Ah memories:rolleyes: I did similar tour in 71 --certainly not as spectacular like todays I'd imagine!-but was accorded virtually Carte Blanche in the factory/production facilities, having been introduced to Ferry Porsche previously. One item I spot noticed in the design/dept happened to be a rough line drawing of that was remarkably similar to what was to become the 928-- Cool :) !
I have owned 2 911's.
BruceD
Which types of 911 did you own?

Your visit took place before my birth.
Different times and in some respects probably more purist and closer to the essence/heritage of the brand > on which they rely heavily these days.
As you may know, there's quite a bit of controversy surrounding the (real) genius behind the design of the original 911.

Anyway, 2 archetypal iterations of the 911:

1973 US version of the 911T, factory restored in 2010:
1708988233615.png

31 years later, Porsche launched the second version of the water-cooled 911, the 997.

2005 997 Carrera S:
1708989090813.png

The latter I have driven extensively through the inlands of Spain, where the car comes into its own and can be fully assessed on its merits.
Despite the electronic aids (I'd rather get rid of those, especially PASM), it's a very capable sportscar and extremely versatile as well.
In order to let the boxer breath more freely, thus sing better and to eliminate the annoying drone around 3500 rpm, Aussies have developed a sophisticated mod of the oem exhaust system (not the usual bypass) which also gives you 10-15 bhp extra.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Different times and in some respects probably more purist and closer to the essence/heritage of the brand > on which they rely heavily these days.
As you may know, there's quite a bit of controversy surrounding the (real) genius behind the design of the original 911.

Anyway, 2 archetypal iterations of the 911:

1973 US version of the 911T, factory restored in 2010:
View attachment 126041

31 years later, Porsche launched the second version of the water-cooled 911, the 997.

2005 997 Carrera S:
View attachment 126042

The latter I have driven extensively through the inlands of Spain, where the car comes into its own and can be fully assessed on its merits.
Despite the electronic aids (I'd rather get rid of those, especially PASM), it's a very capable sportscar and extremely versatile as well.
In order to let the boxer breath more freely, thus sing better and to eliminate the annoying drone around 3500 rpm, Aussies have developed a sophisticated mod of the oem exhaust system (not the usual bypass) which also gives you 10-15 bhp extra.

that 73 911 T brings back memories. I had a 1971 911 T, silver with black interior. That car was a lot of fun but it did not hold up well to the New England winters. I had her from 1983 to 1995.

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
From an aesthetic point of view, silver is the most appealing color for almost any 911.
1709053978439.png

Imo, the long hoods embody the essence of the 911.

12 years of ownership of a car that was already 12 years old at the moment of purchase was quite exceptional in those days, when many cars were still scrapped within 12 years after they left the factory.

Here's the story behind the restoration.

Last edited:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

Ha ! Thanks for reminding me how old and creaky I am :eek: !--glad I enjoyed those halcyon days--ah the bliss!

Yes sorta like Analog I relished the Air Cooled Models -don't know about the latest versions much.

I had 911 T Yellow basic no mods chrome steel wheels--had an oil "smell " in the cabin from new especially when hot--could never completely eradicate puzzling --no leaks evident-back at dealer many times--Raffays Hamburg .

Picked up a 68/69 S/H a Waldergard 911SR-Titanium Rods / wheel nuts /etc -- the version he famously lost the East African Safari when doing what he thought was victory Donuts caused so much dust in the desert he got lost with the Finish line insight and went the wrong way and got Gazumped by the dude behind him Ha!--
Much to the chagrin of Porsche hierarchy :mad:!

Wonderful years with both (Pre dastardly Cat Convertor too!)--enjoy yours:D

BruceD

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Silver? Nah. Iris Blue Metallic.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    668.7 KB · Views: 9

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The rear of the GT1 -I think you'd remember it when he passes you.
View attachment 122647 View attachment 122649
View attachment 122648
Different iterations of the Porsche crest over the years
View attachment 122650
View attachment 122651
View attachment 122652 View attachment 122653
Can't keep it at 120kmph all the time. On an unrestricted section of the Autobahn -- the little Audi A3 was enjoying cruising as much as the wife and I.
View attachment 122654
You said you see how they build a 911 gt 3 rs. porsche-911-gt3-rs-white-green-002.jpg love the old school design white /green. Such emotional car at 9000rpm goosebumbs from toes to head.of course with weissach package.
If want drive the car , porsche zentrum leipzig and book a drive event as copilot or self

Last edited:

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
You said you see how they build a 911 gt 3 rs. View attachment 126090 love the old school design white /green. Such emotional car at 9000rpm goosebumbs from toes to head.of course with weissach package.
If want drive the car , porsche zentrum leipzig and book a drive event as copilot or self
...with the inspirer: 1709071111328.png

Tangram

Nov 10, 2022
Is it yours?
993 C2?
Manual?
Yes, I’ve owned it 22 years. It’s a ‘95 C2 manual. Original clutch even though I’m at 160,000 km. I’ll own it until I can’t drive it anymore!

Reactions: D.Duttilleux

D.Duttilleux

Apr 8, 2018
Yes, I’ve owned it 22 years. It’s a ‘95 C2 manual. Original clutch even though I’m at 160,000 km. I’ll own it until I can’t drive it anymore!
Your car is regarded by many 911 enthusiasts as the culmination of the air-cooled era.

Even though I prefer the looks of the 964, especially this version (priceless): 1709083259672.png

the 993 is undoubtedly the better car.

Your car also reminds me of my student days, when I was co-owner of a private driver's agency.
One of our clients - a woman, drove a 993 in the same color as yours (C4 Tip-tronic). Unfortunately, I joined the company just too late to be able to drive that car - which I did frequently in her Audi A8 V8, the 993's successor. Somewhat regrettable, because we were often allowed to take the cars home. As a 20-something, that was of course übercool.

Last edited:
Reactions: vintage_tube

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing