Lampizator DAC measurements.

The personals attacks have littered this thread. The premises are valid though : .. Do we have measurements on the Lamp or not? SO far it is a slugfest and it is childish. It is downright ugly

Now can anyone point me toward the Lampi measurements?

No. But you miss the point that Blizzard just didn't ask for measurements, he made a point that Lampi users buy it 'only' for distortion, akin to any valve product, and Purite tried many attempts to point out that non - Lampi products, either NOS or valve, because they had bad measurements, implied that Lampi had bad measurements. Both of them implied that clean measurements were the holy grail

I never said I was going to do that. I'm not recording DAC outputs. That's a rabbit hole no one wants to go down.
I said I was going to record some good analog sources in DSD256fs and play them via the Horus and GG to see which is better to me. I've decided to add PCM 352.8kHz as well. That's it. If you or anyone else wants to record DAC outputs, then go right ahead.

Oh I thought that's what you were going to do. Well that's not as fun. All you are doing is subjectively comparing DAC's instead of seeing if the Horus is transparent enough to retain the sound signature of the GG. The way I see it if the Horus is transparent enough to retain the sound of your R2R, it should be transparent enough to retain the sound of the GG.

You could even offer a "Lampizizing" service. Send in your digital albums, and have them encoded with the sound signature of the GG :)

No. But you miss the point that Blizzard just didn't ask for measurements, he made a point that Lampi users buy it 'only' for distortion, akin to any valve product, and Purite tried many attempts to point out that non - Lampi products, either NOS or valve, because they had bad measurements, implied that Lampi had bad measurements. Both of them implied that clean measurements were the holy grail

I'm sorry that I'm not using euphemisms that meet your standards like "symphonic coloration"

I'm just telling things as they are. As I said a million times, if you like the Lampi sound then wonderful, just don't confuse it with transparency. There's a reason that they don't use tubes in AP measurement gear.

Same with the Merging Hapi/Horus. The goal of those units are to pass sound through that sounds identical to the mic feeds. Colorations introduced in the process would be undesirable to achieve their intended goal.

Last edited:
The personals attacks have littered this thread. The premises are valid though : .. Do we have measurements on the Lamp or not? SO far it is a slugfest and it is childish. It is downright ugly

Now can anyone point me toward the Lampi measurements?

Frantz, I thought the pointless sound and fury of my spats w/Purite on my Entreq grounding thread were bad enough, but this thread is emerging as the main contender to top it for a pointless waste of energy by all involved.
Ok the way I see it is that I think it's naive at best, and laughable at worst, to think any algorithm or filter or deliberate tonal choice can mimic so-called tube euphonic colourations. Tubes present music in a particular way that for it's fans like me just has a unique effect on brain chemistry. End of, IMHO. I'm quietly confident in a few yrs time we won't have dsp-type units that give us the option to have "tube sound" or "SS sound" and sound authentic.
Re lack of measurements. Well there aren't any, whoopy do. If you depend on measurements before you buy, you won't likely end up being a GG customer. I wouldn't be at all suprised if Lucasz has them, and just can't be bothered to publish them. His product, his choice.
I would love to see a customer get wowed by a GG demo (about 100% success rate from all the positive reports online), request a data sheet, not be provided one, and go "you know, I'm really not sure about this at all, I think I'll nab myself a Vivaldi, or a Trinity or an Msb etc instead". And walk out the door.
When I bought my Zu Definitions 4 spkrs in 2012, after the 2's in 2008, I came across the Zu Essence review in Stereophile from c.2010. It was a pretty glowing report re SQ, but the measurements were poor by any measure. Did I as a Zu customer go "ooh, time to sell them and buy Magicos". No. I didn't even bat an eyelid. Now, I know Zu doesn't get a lot of love (not the measurements, just their house sound is not for everyone), I just mention this as an illustration.
Just what is the point of all this?

Frantz, I thought the pointless sound and fury of my spats w/Purite on my Entreq grounding thread were bad enough, but this thread is emerging as the main contender to top it for a pointless waste of energy by all involved.
Ok the way I see it is that I think it's naive at best, and laughable at worst, to think any algorithm or filter or deliberate tonal choice can mimic so-called tube euphonic colourations. Tubes present music in a particular way that for it's fans like me just has a unique effect on brain chemistry. End of, IMHO. I'm quietly confident in a few yrs time we won't have dsp-type units that give us the option to have "tube sound" or "SS sound" and sound authentic.
Re lack of measurements. Well there aren't any, whoopy do. If you depend on measurements before you buy, you won't likely end up being a GG customer. I wouldn't be at all suprised if Lucasz has them, and just can't be bothered to publish them. His product, his choice.
I would love to see a customer get wowed by a GG demo (about 100% success rate from all the positive reports online), request a data sheet, not be provided one, and go "you know, I'm really not sure about this at all, I think I'll nab myself a Vivaldi, or a Trinity or an Msb etc instead". And walk out the door.
When I bought my Zu Definitions 4 spkrs in 2012, after the 2's in 2008, I came across the Zu Essence review in Stereophile from c.2010. It was a pretty glowing report re SQ, but the measurements were poor by any measure. Did I as a Zu customer go "ooh, time to sell them and buy Magicos". No. I didn't even bat an eyelid. Now, I know Zu doesn't get a lot of love (not the measurements, just their house sound is not for everyone), I just mention this as an illustration.

Okay I'm gonna start a new thread instead of singleing out Lampizator in a Coloration vs transparency debate. Please let's reserve the rest of this thread for if anyone comes up with some Lampizator measurements.

I'm sorry that I'm not using euphemisms that meet your standards like "symphonic coloration"

I'm just telling things as they are. As I said a million times, if you like the Lampi sound then wonderful, just don't confuse it with transparency. There's a reason that they don't use tubes in AP measurement gear.

ANd as I said a million times, I never said it was transparent like SS. It sounds better than SS, but not just because it has a 'color' I like, but because it has more detail, speed, and slam, and can separate 50 acoustical instruments of a full symphony orchestra with better tone. Hope that explains.

Okay I'm gonna start a new thread instead of singleing out Lampizator in a Coloration vs transparency debate. Please let's reserve the rest of this thread for if anyone comes up with some Lampizator measurements.

Wow you must be a serial spammer.

Hahaha,

Good post.

Here is the thing, I mostly stayed out of this amusing thread as there is nothing new under the sun it seems and groundhog day is everyday. A simple skimming of the usual audio forums would have turned up SOME measurements, BUT certainly nopt of the DHT Dacs which are about 18 months old or so. Rather there are measurements on one of the earlier generation Dacs with small signal tubes, perhaps a L4 Gen3. This is why I asked WHICH Lampi from several pages ago, as there have been a plethora of models and they all are a bit different. We all know that Lukasz likes to tinker and rolls out improvements in a matter of weeks and months, not years.

So let me give a little clue in this apparent game of hide and seek…Try AUDICIRCLE and reference AudioCritic. The junior reviewer then gave a lukewarm/good review, but the editor Martim Collums awarded the Dac by putting on his very restricted list of recommended components. ACritic is a paid magazine only, but the actual specs were copied out in the ACircle forum in response to a similar quastion as Blizz posted here and was summarily quieted.

Wow you must be a serial spammer.

Not sure what I'm spamming about. I'm talking about real world issues, and innovations in audio. For the open minded, very interesting topics.

ANd as I said a million times, I never said it was transparent like SS. It sounds better than SS, but not just because it has a 'color' I like, but because it has more detail, speed, and slam, and can separate 50 acoustical instruments of a full symphony orchestra with better tone. Hope that explains.

Actually, I have an HIGH END audio buddy who shall remain nameless examine the Lampi Dac (Gen3 L4) and gave it a very high true fidelity score… a measure of how much or little the Dac damages the music signal. This was very very surprisng to him and was due to implementation quality.

Blizz, if you read that monoandStereo interview insightfully, you will see that Lampi uses tubes not for color, but to make the circuit as light as possible to preserve the original music signal as much as possible. The Einstein principle, make it as simple as possible, but no simpler…ie if any more components are removed, the circuit collapses! As Lukasz said, he would use Bat guano if it gave him the desired cgharacteristics he sought.

Me, I think the vacuum, like magnetism, is a primordial force and has chracteristics our current physics cant understand/explain fully, so measurements there are of very limited usefulness. IMHO.

Continue this on my new thread please. Please guys lets reserve this thread for Lampi measurements.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-Symphonic-coloration-quot-in-modern-DAC-gear

Actually, I have an HIGH END audio buddy who shall remain nameless examine the Lampi Dac (Gen3 L4) and gave it a very high true fidelity score… a measure of how much or little the Dac damages the music signal. This was very very surprisng to him and was due to implementation quality.

Blizz, if you read that monoandStereo interview insightfully, you will see that Lampi uses tubes not for color, but to make the circuit as light as possible to preserve the original music signal as much as possible. The Einstein principle, make it as simple as possible, but no simpler…ie if any more components are removed, the circuit collapses! As Lukasz said, he would use Bat guano if it gave him the desired cgharacteristics he sought.

Me, I think the vacuum, like magnetism, is a primordial force and has chracteristics our current physics cant understand/explain fully, so measurements there are of very limited usefulness. IMHO.

Wisnon, yes amazing, the vacuum is NOTHING by DEFINITION, but EVERYTHING by SENSATION.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing