New experience with the dac of the gods - Lampizator Pacific

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Yestarday I went to Warsaw to ger used Pacific version 2020 with vol. reg. balanced. I was very disapointed when I plugged it in. The dac went straight to my SE-833 monoblocs using vol. reg of Pacific. It was very bad, I was in disbelief, how can anyone listen to this, no guts, no bas, no energy. What the hell! I tried to use volume reg. of my amps., same thing I had to set volume very high to get some lousy sound. I was very unhappy, and thought I am going to return it asap. My Tambaqui was singing straight to the amps with amp ovol. reg. This was not, it was bad, very bad. But I was thinking why would anyone buy this and sing about it how great it this. Well 6am I got up instaled DAc along NAT Magnetic preamp. What a relief it was when I started to play my favorite test songs. Wow, wow, wow. Day and Night experience. Song after song, I could not sit still. What a beauty was coming out of Horning Agalme. Everything prior to this experience seems like a child play, now this is real music. I know now I need super super preamp to get even better. Maybe Magnetostat maybe, Allnic 7000-10000. Any thoughts about possible preamp contender? 20230628_173833a.jpg 20231114_100137.jpg

Reactions: Sampajanna

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Out of curiosity , now that the DAC has been running a little longer it would be interesting to investigate how it sounds again as a stand alone without the pre amplifier .

Addendum: I just read your post on a disparate thread referencing an impedance mismatch in your system, still it would be an interesting reference point to see whether the DAC has improved as a stand alone now that it has bedded in a little , unlikely but ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Out of curiosity , now that the DAC has been running a little longer it would be interesting to investigate how it sounds again as a stand alone without the pre amplifier .

Addendum: I just read your post on a disparate thread referencing an impedance mismatch in your system, still it would be an interesting reference point to see whether the DAC has improved as a stand alone now that it has bedded in a little , unlikely but ?
of course I will try it and let you know

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
of course I will try it and let you know

I have never heard any dac sound good straight in without a pre. the Lampi is my favorite dac, but I don't prefer it direct.

Regarding the NAT, Thundersnow has the Magnetostat. First with the Gg3, now with the Horizon.

There is another Lampi owner who has experience with the Allnic OTL and DHT top of the line preamps. Had the L9000 with the Pac

That said, if you do any of these experiments, you should have the KR 242, PX25, and the special 45s (globe anniversary 45 from EML) to roll. If you just try changing the preamps with one tube, you might not have the Lampi optimized in each state.

Reactions: Blake and christoph

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Had GG2, PAC and now Horizon with Tobian Soundsystem DHT preamp SC12 and it's a perfect match (for me)...
Enjoy Your PAC!

Reactions: Blake and LampiNA

bozebuttons

Nov 6, 2022
I am using a Hegel P30 preamp with my balance pacific using RK242,Rkrectifier feeding My HegelH20 amp.
I never liked any of my sources with variable VCs direct into the amps.

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
In my case Pacific (KR242) with volume control directly into Wavac 805m monos is shockingly good setup.
Cannot imagine it can get any better with preamp in-between. But maybe I should give it a try with some uber top preamp...

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I am using a Hegel P30 preamp with my balance pacific using RK242,Rkrectifier feeding My HegelH20 amp.
I never liked any of my sources with variable VCs direct into the amps.
But have you tried the Pacific directly into the Hegel Amp and preferred it via the Preamp?

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I have run teh Pacific and now Horizon direct to amps with great success. My monos are hybrid tube/SS… Perhaps a pre would improve things, but it is an expensive experiment indeed. I have thought about the matching AVM pre or Allnic. Now the Poseidon as a preamp only option is on my radar. But like @JSA I do not feel like I am missing anything. That said, you don’t know what you don’t know….

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
I have run teh Pacific and now Horizon direct to amps with great success. My monos are hybrid tube/SS… Perhaps a pre would improve things, but it is an expensive experiment indeed. I have thought about the matching AVM pre or Allnic. Now the Poseidon as a preamp only option is on my radar. But like @JSA I do not feel like I am missing anything. That said, you don’t know what you don’t know….
I have solemnly promised myself to stop with subsequent upgrades :mad:
Have tried Horizon twice but still prefer my Pacific.
High end preamp would be a very expensive venture.
For whatever reason there is a huge synergy (input impedance?) between Pacific and Wavac MD805s.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Have tried Horizon twice but still prefer my Pacific.
May I ask what tubes were used in the respective DACs?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yestarday I went to Warsaw to ger used Pacific version 2020 with vol. reg. balanced. I was very disapointed when I plugged it in. The dac went straight to my SE-833 monoblocs using vol. reg of Pacific. It was very bad, I was in disbelief, how can anyone listen to this, no guts, no bas, no energy. What the hell! I tried to use volume reg. of my amps., same thing I had to set volume very high to get some lousy sound. I was very unhappy, and thought I am going to return it asap. My Tambaqui was singing straight to the amps with amp ovol. reg. This was not, it was bad, very bad. But I was thinking why would anyone buy this and sing about it how great it this. Well 6am I got up instaled DAc along NAT Magnetic preamp. What a relief it was when I started to play my favorite test songs. Wow, wow, wow. Day and Night experience. Song after song, I could not sit still. What a beauty was coming out of Horning Agalme. Everything prior to this experience seems like a child play, now this is real music. I know now I need super super preamp to get even better. Maybe Magnetostat maybe, Allnic 7000-10000. Any thoughts about possible preamp contender? View attachment 119888 View attachment 119889
Aries Cerat Impera II reference preamp.

BTW, are you selling the Horning speakers?

JSA

Dec 20, 2020
May I ask what tubes were used in the respective DACs?
Pacific - KR242 then T100 then EML AD1/N. On Horizon, I don't remember now to be honest. There are aspects where Horizon is better but overall Pacific still wins for me (and a colleague of mine who has similar setup i.e. Pacific+Wavac MD805m monos).
I have rather simple speakers i.e. Usher BE-10 DMD, he has got Avantgarde Trio and Destination Audio. Two sets of incredible horns.

Reactions: christoph

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Aries Cerat Impera II reference preamp.

BTW, are you selling the Horning speakers?
No, Horning are keepers, I start to adore them actually. Impera could be awesome, but it is now out of my range, spent too much money lately.

Reactions: morricab

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I am looking at Allnic L7000, anyone using Allnic with Pacific? Your suggestions for preamp except Impra? I could spent up to 8000 euros for used at this moment

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
No, Horning are keepers, I start to adore them actually. Impera could be awesome, but it is now out of my range, spent too much money lately.
I am quite enjoying my Hornings as well...they also work very well at low volume.

Reactions: Zappadaddy

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I am quite enjoying my Hornings as well...they also work very well at low volume.
Funny thing I just let my girlfriend listen Mike Oldfield this evening in such low volume and we were both thrilled how beautihul it sounds with my new dac from Lukasz. This was aling Horning my best purchase of my life.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Funny thing I just let my girlfriend listen Mike Oldfield this evening in such low volume and we were both thrilled how beautihul it sounds with my new dac from Lukasz. This was aling Horning my best purchase of my life.
I have the matching SATI 520b amp as well…a good one.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing