Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Surfski

Apr 7, 2020
Oh. Well either way Tang, bloody well done. Thai ICU has a very good reputation , at least amongst those I talk to and meet at conferences. And not just your docs- nurses, physios, pharmacists etc. I worked with an ICU doc from Thailand for a year a while back- learnt a lot from him.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The nerd in me can tell from both screens that your patient not doing too bad, Tang. Nice one
I just noticed a pouch of blood on the bed. Can you guess what that was about? Why would a corvid patient has that blood pouch. Just curious.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Well done Tang great job
i agree they appear reasonably stable
there are a lot of reasons they might need blood
being on a ventilator means you cannot get enough oxygen into your body and blood stream
if you have more blood you have more oxygen carrying capacity after a day or two
in addition a lot of people who end up on ventilators from Covid have chronic health problems some of which can lead to lower blood counts especially if unwell

finally being very sick in ICU stresses your body and can lead to lower blood count over time

unfortunately a lot of patients who end up on a ventilator from Covid don’t make it as it’s very hard to manage once on a ventilator I hope your patient gets through, and a ventilator is a gift that keeps giving

Reactions: christoph

Surfski

Apr 7, 2020
Actually Tang, looking more closely , I think you may be right about the photo being staged.Most reputable ICU's wouldn't have big bedspreads like that ( infection risk, difficult to access patient). Second, the blood looks like to running into a drip near patients' neck ( either internal jugular or subclavian). I'd regard it as shitty practice to have any bag of fluid hanging down like from one one of those two sites. HARd to be exact.
As for the above post, I only partly agree. Plenty of reasons NOT to give blood to ventilated patients- multiple trials exist to confirm that. Shoemaker's work from the 70's , whilst fascinating, is somewhat outmoded.
Anyhow, this isn't the right place for nerds like me. I've crapped all over your thread, please accept my apologies.
Bloody good job on providing the ventilator . Countless people over the next few years will have their lives saved because of your act of generosity. Bravo sir.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Lol I don’t disagree about blood transfusion efficacy , this wasn’t supposed
to be best practice guidelines to treatment of ventilated patients by blood transfusion , just reason for a layman why they might transfuse the patient whether it makes a difference in outcome or not

i also wondered about the big bedspread thing but thought there was clearly some staging, and yes why is the blood bags below the central line is bizarre, bad practice unless faked or looking closer is the blood bags clipped off on the tubing , hard to see on the imaging I can see.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
I just noticed a pouch of blood on the bed. Can you guess what that was about? Why would a corvid patient has that blood pouch. Just curious.
Possibly when taking a blood sample for labs (chem, hem, etc.), a drop ws spilled, but not sure.
The figure that you posted is interesting. I saw a similar one from Cuomo's press conference. You see a point in the curve of the cases where the concavity changes. This inflection point must be key to "flattening the curve."

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have been almost no where but home since last week of March. No stereo until the end of this month for me since my system is at office. A few audio things were happening though. Right before I joined my country's stay home campaign, ddk introduced me to a daughter of his friend who is forced to retire his audio hobby. This gentleman is a vinyl collector. I went to his place and saw something like 16,000++ records...most are old jazz and classical. His daughter agreed to sell me 1,000 records at my pick. Actually I was thinking of buying the whole lot to make me a super cool dude, but then just to think of how I would bring all these records back and where to keep them, the itch kind of vanishes. Then the big ass Cessaro horn bass arrived. It is in the warehouse I haven't thought when to install it. My new Flux Magnetic tape head that got lost in mail also arrived from John French. Hopefully this will change my perspective on tape. And last week I received a few records from The General. This ended my search for best Bach Chacone. Last, I just bought another special VDH cart. I will wait until they officially release to disclose. Can't say much about all these anyway because I wont touch my system until May1.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
HI Tang

Is this your new cartridge?

Van den Hul Colibri Grand Cru

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
"Company Founder A.J. Van den Hul told SoundStage! Australia, “After making so many models, I needed something to jolt my creative thought process. This was the trigger to think more deeply about cartridge design and the Gran Cru is the result.” Van den Hul went on to say, “As for detail resolution and dynamics, the Gran Cru will have few rivals in my opinion. When I was designing the Gran Cru, I also focused carefully on its space and timing qualities.”

https://www.soundstageaustralia.com...ection-flagship-cartridge-debuts-in-melbourne

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Can anybody divine from the article the details of how this cartridge differs from the Master Signature? (vdH's advertising copy always seems to say the same things: "exotic materials," "new technologies," "fancy wood.")

Reactions: hogen and Folsom

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my guess is Tang's impressions, when they happen, will be the first you will hear about. we will all be watching for it. May 1st can't come soon enough. we need you Tang!

my curiosity is only whether the Grand Cru will deviate (and to what degree) from the VdH Colibri 'house sound'? every cartridge has a 'house sound'; i mean no disrespect by it. but; i have owned 10 Colibri's. physically it looks the same as the other recent Colibri's from the 'Stradivarious branch'.

i had the Stradivarious .38mv, the Stradivarious Signature .9mv, and the Master Signature, 1.0mv.

Reactions: bonzo75

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Can anybody divine from the article the details of how this cartridge differs from the Master Signature? (vdH's advertising copy always seems to say the same things: "exotic materials," "new technologies," "fancy wood.")
...audiophillia nervosa; of course, it will be super Ron...:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Since most of what makes a cartridge special is the 'art of implementation' it makes sense that there isn't much ad copy. I mean there are advancements in materials but that only goes so far...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Okay. So what can A.J. implement on the Gran Cru that he as not already been accomplishing on his Master Signatures?

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think his strad series was quite superior to the colibris I heard, sonically. Though given how different his carts are tough to say. Though he later had a lower output one, the output was quite high on these.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
When you consider that top carts are more similar than different it really highlights the skill of designers and the art of constructors to acheive improvements.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing