Zero Distortion: Tango Time

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Doesn’t your controller ramp up on
startup David ? I'm sure the software
is the same as in the Phoenix
controller, with different power supplies obviously.
As for giving the heavy platter a nudge, why would you not ? The extra wear on the belt is not necessary.

We used a custom version of Phoenix Engineering's controller and as I mentioned it does ramp up and then settle down and I actually like giving the platter a nudge, part of the ritual.

david

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
We used a custom version of Phoenix Engineering's controller and as I mentioned it does ramp up and then settle down and I actually like giving the platter a nudge, part of the ritual.

david
Me to. The changing records with
the platter spinning on the other hand is not something
I have the nerves or dexterity for !

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Me to. The changing records with
the platter spinning on the other hand is not something
I have the nerves or dexterity for !
I never stopped spinning when changing records.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Relying on 60Hz line frequency is commonplace with controllers today.

IOS is not Android. DSP is not a monolithic technology. implying that any means of rotational control using software is some how inadequate to good sound is, imo, unconvincing.

The reference to DSP wasn't that they're monolithic just that they're common place now and used in motor controllers everywhere, turntables is just one place.

The issues with servo controllers and continuous adjustment is very well known, what is the claim made for your Monaco turntable? They have a faster processor to deal with those issues :)!

david

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i had a bit of fear before i tried it......

and never had done it before, but with the Saskia it was very easy to change records on a moving platter from the first time i tried it.

the Saskia has a tapered lip to the platter that guides your fingers to easily pick up the record, the size of the platter allows the right amount for the record to hang over the edge.

for setting the record onto a moving platter the spindle is extra long to make it easy to insure the spindle is through the center hole. there are 4 raised rubber cushions on the platter to soften the landing and assist grip.....as well as enhance the platter<->record interface.

after a couple of sessions it became second nature to change records on a moving platter.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I never stopped spinning when changing records.
And with 4 arms on the TT, you
should work at “Circe de Soleil”
Tango o_O

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The reference to DSP wasn't that they're monolithic just that they're common place now and used in motor controllers everywhere, turntables is just one place.

The issues with servo controllers and continuous adjustment is very well known, what is the claim made for your Monaco turntable? They have a faster processor to deal with those issues :)!

david

Yes, a 40MIPS processor - that's like a 50MHz 80486 dedicated to few 'simple' tasks.` Plus very high volume encoder reader technology.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
the effects of governors are well known by design engineers and if you read the claims of manufacturers using them they all claim to have overcome their negative effects with some new scheme that they've come up with to counter it, of course there's always a v2, v3, v4, v5, etc., etc., etc. to fix what they claimed to have already fixed

97225F5B-F525-4692-B1B7-53849ED7ACA4.jpeg

Reactions: PeterA and ddk

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
My happiest moment of today. Listening my 4yr old son humming Oscar Peterson.
Another Tango PrimeTime.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I haven't cleaned all the classical I have got recently. They include some recently shared stuff here. But I was playing some other genres and wanted to share one of my favorite albums that sets itself apart in pretty much all ways from it's associations. This one, this pressing. (stay away from everything else but DCC Steve Hoffman mastered CD) Maybe some of you'll laugh that I suggest it, but I was really enjoying coming back to it.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I haven't updated my finding on old album in the past few weeks. I actually was putting my time into gardening and building a trampoline for my boy. The garden is still a work in progress. It costs nothing compare to audio yet I enjoy it as much.

71C38362-3F10-4811-B28B-13E910FF5DB8.jpeg

Anyway, back to audio. Here is another excellent album both in term of performance and sonic. The Francescatti Plays Kreisler, Columbia ML 5255. I paid only $13 for it. The music is very enjoyable on both sides. The way it was recorded and presents sound is almost similar to the RCA Victor Heifetz Kreutzer I got from ZerostarGeneral which I highly rated. This is an album that cheer me up after a dozen hit-and-miss's on Shostakovic in the past weeks.

94F2CF4F-0830-464E-8678-0A0A4A3FE8D2.jpeg

Here is Francescatti taking us to the orient. Tambourin Chinois.

Tang

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Tang,

What is the mid bass driver in your Cessaros?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
You enjoy gardening almost as much as audio ? Tango you are officially getting
old;)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Ok so I have learned it's impossible to use Samsung7 and not get (really) bad sound (all settings, different apps, absorbers for room reflections etc). Only good thing is it's not as bad as my iPhone XS Max. Still all of that is no good excuse not to enjoy The Glamorous Violin.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Ok so I have learned it's impossible to use Samsung7 and not get (really) bad sound (all settings, different apps, absorbers for room reflections etc). Only good thing is it's not as bad as my iPhone XS Max. Still all of that is no good excuse not to enjoy The Glamorous Violin.

Come on Folsom. Pls share the album info in public.

Tang :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
You enjoy gardening almost as much as audio ? Tango you are officially getting
old;)
Not as fast as you for sure my friend Lagonda. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing