Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Reactions: christoph
Heard someone said picture worths 1k words. This picture shows how my system sounds right now. Natural beauty with a tad of curiosity ;).

View attachment 58502

I showed your little boy with the butterfly to one one my nieces (Deana); that was her reaction ...

20191104_100142.jpg

Reactions: Tango
The Waldstein next please?

Beethoven gets under the skin like no other,for me that is.

The Appassionata requires touch and timing to evoke the feeling of the piece more so than normal.That is to say that mere mortal pianists should not skip the leg work.

Kindest regards,G.
Yes, the Waldstein and also, don't know if there is a name, the sonata no.32 especially by Annie Fischer are just world heritage for me sir.

Warmest regards,
Tang

Dear friends, which pressing of Ginette Neveu's Chausson, Debussy, Ravel album (I have fallen for the Tzigane performance) is the best sounding. Does the remaster in 80's sound much worse? This is an LP I am really looking for.

Reactions: Folsom
Yes, the Waldstein and also, don't know if there is a name, the sonata no.32 especially by Annie Fischer are just world heritage for me sir.

Warmest regards,
Tang
Agree with you about Annie Fischer. I’ve absolutely fallen in love with her performance of Mozart’s Piano Concerto #21. Such touch, feel and emotion! I intend to further explore her body of work.

Dear friends, which pressing of Ginette Neveu's Chausson, Debussy, Ravel album (I have fallen for the Tzigane performance) is the best sounding. Does the remaster in 80's sound much worse? This is an LP I am really looking for.
I cannot recommend you the good sounding one but I can tell you to avoid the Japanese pressing Angel Record and the La Voix De Son Maitre References shit. They are mediocre. Personally this album I like Jean Neveu playing piano in the back even more on Debussy than Ginette's violin :p.

Tang

Reactions: kodomo
I am surprised to hear this about Thailand. I have 3 expat friends living there and I have visited once before myself. All experiences are positive on our side.

Me and my wife are planning a trip on January to Thailand so I have talked to them recently. They were very happy living there, especially the couple who live in Chang Mai. They could not stop talking about the hospitality of the locals. Maybe big cities are different nowadays because of political stress etc.

I have been to Bangkok and had positive experience there too as well as some of the islands. This time I will be traveling with my wife and we plan to visit those parts like Chang Mai as well. Maybe your friends were unlucky and that attitude is not an evidence of change in that direction.

@kodomo, we had a lovely family break in Chiang Mai this summer. The people were super friendly, the hotel wonderful and the food was delicious. I’m sure your friends will know far more about the place however I suspect you will spend a fair bit of time eating and drinking at One Nimman. The Thai Iced Tea slushy there was a highlight.

@BruceD - our tour guide told us that the local Police are very badly paid and when low on money later in the month tend to pull people over more for ’special fees’.

@Tango - lucky you visiting Vienna, it is a truly beautiful city and a family favourite of ours.

Considering the warm-up time of the ML3's I think that a/b is almost impossible. Listen to a lot of music during at less one week, then another one without and repeat until you have your own opinion

Agree completely. Granted that some feel the only way to grasp differences is by quickly switching back and forth, I find it worth while to take time to learn a component's character and in the long run taking that time gives a far more accurate perspective. YMMV.

Agree completely. Granted that some feel the only way to grasp differences is by quickly switching back and forth, I find it worth while to take time to learn a component's character and in the long run taking that time gives a far more accurate perspective. YMMV.
With very short A B testing you are likely to be listening for changes in part rather than in whole, to appreciate differences in whole it takes far greater time and much greater diversity of listening. Realisation in part can be relatively quick ie bass characteristics, mid range, highs, but I’d suggest more complete realisation and understanding comes much more slowly with a greater range of experiences. Even just optimisation of a setup takes considerable time. If you can’t stick it out and persist through the time taken to more fully understand any gear the gear may not well be for you at any rate. Full appreciation is a considered process. It’s easy to mistake an effect for a deeper value. Initial impressions aren’t always at all accurate.

With very short A B testing you are likely to be listening for changes in part rather than in whole, to appreciate differences in whole it takes far greater time and much greater diversity of listening. Realisation in part can be relatively quick ie bass characteristics, mid range, highs, but I’d suggest more complete realisation and understanding comes much more slowly with a greater range of experiences. Even just optimisation of a setup takes considerable time. If you can’t stick it out and persist through the time taken to more fully understand any gear the gear may not well be for you at any rate. Full appreciation is a considered process. It’s easy to mistake an effect for a deeper value. Initial impressions aren’t always at all accurate.

+1.

i'm more of an 'install it and allow the music to come to you on your terms' guy...........get your rational mind away from your senses and find the 'zen' place. then later remove it and see how it sounds. enjoy and embrace the process. i love trying new gear in my system as i know i'm going to have intense listening where i get carried away.

i can do quick A/B's but they have narrow value. they should be supported by the long view. setting up a cartridge is the exception where you have your references and clues. but it's not how i prefer to form listening opinions.

Last edited:
Hi to all participating in as well as reading this thread. I've been out all day and just came home to find my messages lit up with respect to many of the posts here

The way I see this is the way I see anything in this hobby.If everyone liked the same we would all have the same systems. Well people don't hear the same nor do their systems perform like their friends' systems.

As my good friend marty has always said and I quote, "there is chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. You pay your money and you take your chances.
Or better stated, one man's passion is another man's poison. I get all of that and I hope that all who is reading here understand what I am saying. I also think it inappropriate that people disparage other people's systems and I think it also way out of line that one manufacturer disparage the products of another manufacturer. Lets all agree on this one and make my job easy and simply say in closing (after which I will be deleting offensive posts), let's stop this banter as it reflects poorly on the participants and serves no good purpose

Reactions: hogen and ALF
Hi to all participating in as well as reading this thread. I've been out all day and just came home to find my messages lit up with respect to many of the posts here

The way I see this is the way I see anything n this hobby.If everyone liked the same we would all have the same systems. Well people don't hear the same nor do their systems perform like their friends' systems.

As my good friend marty has always said and I quote, "there is chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. You pay your money and you take your chances.
Or better stated, one man's passion is another man's poison. I get all of that and I hope that all who is reading here understand what I am saying. I also think it inappropriate that people disparage other people's systems and I think it also way out of line that one manufacturer disparage the products of another manufacturer. Lets all agree on this one and make my job easy and simply say in closing (after which I will be deleting offensive posts), let's stop this banter as it reflects poorly on the participants and serves no good purpose
Hi Steve,
Well said! I also like Marty’s metaphor; however, with Neapolitan, you can get all three :)!

I think that Emile has a proven and well thought out track record with his products...these products are well received... typically over engineered. Not sure of the motivation(s) of this other fellow.

Cheers!
ALF

Reactions: hogen

The way I see this is the way I see anything in this hobby.If everyone liked the same we would all have the same systems. Well people don't hear the same nor do their systems perform like their friends' systems.

This isn’t bantering Steve, it’s a product commentary on a slab of fake wood that has suddenly become holy! Is this official WBF policy now?

48681622-0EEE-428D-96D6-B4265693DCD0.jpeg

david

Reactions: Lagonda
This isn’t bantering Steve, it’s a product commentary on a slab of fake wood that has suddenly become holy! Is this official WBF policy now?

View attachment 58676

david
Yikes, this picture looks like a commentary on a 3012r running across one of the general’s prime disks...I like it David :)!

Cheers!
ALF

David, when one manufacturer of audio racks speaks out in such a way as you did about another manufacturers audio racks surely you understood the point I was making in my post.earlier.

one has to draw a line in the sand at that point David

I think Tango’s system must sound
terrible because of all those nasty
tubes:eek: Just kidding Tango;)

Reactions: Tango and howiebrou
David, you're missing the point.

Shit, fake, destructive, poo poo on a stick, way WAY the wrong side of acceptable.

Anyone talking the same way would have been banned before they could even leave a second derogatory post.

This is not a free speech issue, it's a common courtesy one.

I get your schtick, Daiza is poo, Entreq is a scam, rip it out of Christian's setup, my pricey power cord on tt psu is a total waste, active isolation under a tt is an abomination (sorry if I've misquoted you, but you are hyperbolic yself). You are a free speech warrior, and the high end needs a cutting opinion or three.

However, you just sound bitter, and any public service you think you're providing warning us off foo comes across as self satisfied and brutal for the sake of it.

My 2 cents/1.5 pence.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing