Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
PeterA is showing videos of some great sounding carts. Problem with any a/b comparison is often it leads to undervaluing the one that comes in second when in fact it is great and better than so many others that are not in the a/b. Here is a video showing how great my Vdh Master Signature is comparing to the Neumann DST. It is a good race. I am happy living with any one of them if I cannot have both. You cannot compare my video to Peter's. My Uranus is Solti not Mehta.

Master Sig.

DST

Reactions: PeterA and ddk

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is the EMT eq adjusted back for vdh?

might make more sense to record on DST the tracks which were previously recorded on vdh that are sounding good

i haven’t heard the above and won’t till tomorrow so my comment is in the absence of listening

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Let’s try this too

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Here is a video showing how great my Vdh Master Signature is comparing to the Neumann DST. It is a good race. I am happy living with any one of them if I cannot have both.

Indeed. both carts sound wonderful. The vdH acquits itself quite well - no embarassment there. Listen to the opening timpanis.

Reactions: ddk

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for posting these two videos, Tang!

Between these two videos I significantly prefer the DST. I find the vdH to have too much treble energy.

Reactions: shakti

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
  • Love
Reactions: howiebrou

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks for posting Tang. The videos sound excellent but have a very different presentation from mine. There are a lot of variables including the recording which seem a faster and less menacing interpretation. I appreciate the chance to compare all of these recordings from video and more broadly, the opportunity to hear your incredible system from afar. You have the best videos on the forum, and I can't wait to hear the sound through your new Eurodyns and subs.

I agree with you that the vdH is a superb cartridge. I have compared it to the Opus 1 and Atlas in my system and preferred it. The vintage Ortofon is just as good or better, but different. The Neumann is likely the best, but I have not heard it in my room to understand by how much. The Ortofon has many of the same qualities, IMO.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
At last! Some music I recognise!
That Star Wars is a pretty good digital recording. Sound a little hard but the exciting factor is good.

This video is put on youtube for you. The piece is popular in HK. You should recognize. Imo it sounds best if you stream. My friend with Magico digital system beat me playing this song. :)

G T Audio

PeterA is showing videos of some great sounding carts. Problem with any a/b comparison is often it leads to undervaluing the one that comes in second when in fact it is great and better than so many others that are not in the a/b. Here is a video showing how great my Vdh Master Signature is comparing to the Neumann DST. It is a good race. I am happy living with any one of them if I cannot have both. You cannot compare my video to Peter's. My Uranus is Solti not Mehta.

Master Sig.

DST

Were you using both cartridges on the 3012R?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

G T Audio

The VDH will perform a lot better if it's put in a good modern rigid tonearm like a Schröder or a Thales etc.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The VDH will perform a lot better if it's put in a good modern rigid tonearm like a Schröder or a Thales etc.
Why is that and any proof that either one of those arms are better suited to the vdh? There's nothing modern about those tonearms's design nor anything dated about the 3012-R's design, different philosophies that's all.

david

Reactions: Lagonda

G T Audio

My various Colibris all sounded better on the vintage 3012R than on the rigid SME V-12.
Yes. I bet it does. I've never rated the newer SME tonearms with the exception of the M2-12R. Tonearms like the Schroder and Thales are significantly better than any SME IV/V and V12...

Reactions: DMcVey and shakti

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thank you for your suggestion. "A lot better" bears huge confidence in what you are suggesting especially when you finished the sentence with "etc." Many people have seen how I have been keeping the SME playing with the vdh while other modern arms kept leaving my arm base. May we know how you come to this conclusion?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
That Star Wars is a pretty good digital recording. Sound a little hard but the exciting factor is good.

This video is put on youtube for you. The piece is popular in HK. You should recognize. Imo it sounds best if you stream. My friend with Magico digital system beat me playing this song. :)

It sounds exactly like me :) . I am honoured.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

G T Audio

Graham, Which vdH model do you have experience with and on what arm and system? I am trying to understand on what you base your comment. Thank you.
I will reply to you on this when I have more time, probably at the weekend.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Comparing two videos of the same record - you prefer A or AB?

AB:

A:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing