Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Playback device = Maxed out Alienware
1a / 2b
1a = sounds more organic. 1b seems less refined and a little more subdued and straining to reach the natural portrayal of music as exhibited in 1a.
2b = ditto

(Note: the difference in my perceived listening impressions are that 1a and 1b are closer in sound qualities with 1a edging out 1b. However, I feel that 2b is vastly more organic and natural sounding with less strain compared to 2a.
I also picked these two.

Reactions: audioquest4life
Less refined is a great description, like brown sugar, closer to the truth. For me and my slightly older ears 1A/2b sound like recordings and give that pleasant relaxed feeling. I don’t want that from my music. Real life is ugly.
I also picked these two.
I wonder if there is a split between digital and vinyl users?

first videos sound better. 1a and 2a. second ones sound as if dynamics are washed out. first videos sound live maybe a little too much but that’s a horn speaker.
by the way you covered left microphone of your phone while shooting videos. almost only right channel is playing.
My left finger may have shut the mic hole of Samsung. Sorry. I did in a hurry. I was actually having an online meeting with factory staffs. Too many things to do so little time.

• Haha
Reactions: christoph
On an iPhone speaker I found 2b to be more natural sounding. 2a sounded more "tinkly" and brighter to me. For me personally tinkly and brighter is almost always more electronic sounding and less natural sounding than what I hear at Walt Disney Concert Hall

Very interestingly Blue58's undesirable "pleasant and relaxed" is my desireable "natural," as I do not hear anything "ugly" at Walt Disney Concert Hall.

Reactions: Blue58
On an iPhone speaker I found 2b to be more natural sounding. 2a sounded more "tinkly" and brighter to me. For me personally tinkly and brighter is almost always more electronic sounding and less natural sounding than what I hear at Walt Disney Concert Hall

Very interestingly Blue58's undesirable "pleasant and relaxed" is my desireable "natural," as I do not hear anything "ugly" at Walt Disney Concert Hall.

What about 1 a and b

I struggle with the sound in a concert hall such as the Barbican, RFH, RAH finding it too diffuse and dare I say it, rather tame. I have no issues hearing classical, jazz or pop/rock in a small venue, up close and personal.
Just shows we all hear differently and prefer different presentation.

I struggle with the sound in a concert hall such as the Barbican, RFH, RAH finding it too diffuse and dare I say it, rather tame. I have no issues hearing classical, jazz or pop/rock in a small venue, up close and personal.

Blue, do you prefer the sound of your stereo to the live music experience, at least at these venues mentioned above? All recordings or just some?

Last edited:
I struggle with the sound in a concert hall such as the Barbican, RFH, RAH finding it too diffuse and dare I say it, rather tame.

Blue 58, I am finding this exploration to be very interesting.

It is very interesting to me that you are drawing a distinction between what you actually hear in the concert hall and the sound you subjectively like. In some ways you do not care for the sound you hear in the concert hall and you are trying deliberately to achieve with your stereo system a sound different than what you hear in the concert hall.

Am I understanding you correctly?

Blue 58, I am finding this exploration to be very interesting.
It is very interesting to me that you are drawing a distinction between what you actually hear in the concert hall and the sound you subjectively like. You do not like what you hear in the concert hall and you are trying conscientiously and deliberately to achieve with your stereo system a sound different than what you hear in the concert hall.

Am I understanding you correctly?
Yes, however I am trying to recreate the sound I hear in a small venue whether Ronnie Scott’s, Union Chapel, St. Pancras Church or Somerset House. I have been lucky enough to see some of my favourite artists at these venues and wish to experience that emotional connection at home. Seldom has an artist/group in a large venue impressed me.

That could be because you are used to your home presentation more. If you don't play your system for 6 months and go only to Barbican and RAH, your preferences might change.

I like small venues too. Wigmore, Kings place, are good, and St Martin's church has great acoustics though not same level of performers. I have a friend who played guitar and vocals at Union Chapel. My favorite is Sheldonian in Oxford.

Reactions: Blue58
Blue, do you prefer the sound of your stereo to the live music experience, at least at these venues mentioned above? All recordings or just some?
I do prefer at home listening than a visit to a large venue. I have no qualms listening to classical in a small intimate venue. One particular impressive concert was of Max Richter’s Four Seasons reimagined at St. Jude’s, Hampstead. That I can not replicate at home.

That could be because you are used to your home presentation more. If you don't play your system for 6 months and go only to Barbican and RAH, your preferences might change.

I like small venues too. Wigmore, Kings place, are good, and St Martin's church has great acoustics though not same level of performers. I have a friend who played guitar and vocals at Union Chapel. My favorite is Sheldonian in Oxford.
Been to all three and prefer St. Martins. Wigmore is a little dry. Kings place great for small scale performances. I remember a lute performance there a few years back. Show Film First often allowed you to see concerts for a few quid, sadly curtailed these days.

@bonzo75 . You did not put Ella vocal video on. My objective is to shape vocal.

Reactions: Scott Naylor
Up in Norfolk, we have a real range of small/medium venues, but nothing like RFH or The Barbican in London.
I tend to agree w Barry, I've liked the odd concert in big classical venues, but much prefer the immediacy, warmth, energy and intimacy of the venues up here, whether historic Ely or Cambridge Cathedrals and Snape Maltings, or purpose built Wells Maltings or Kings Lynn Corn Exchange.
The historic places maintain the energy w greater amounts of air, the purpose built venues score on timbral accuracy and staging cues.
Being able to see the whites of the performers eyes halfway back is key, you feel much more part of their performing, not music transmitted to you.
And yes, five years and over one hundred and fifty live performances of really well performed and sonically impressive classical programmes has absolutely changed how I view music, and want it to sound at home.

@bonzo75 . You did not put Ella vocal video on. My objective is to shape vocal.

Oh sorry. I see what has happened. I was trying to put Ella and the 2nd compare you sent. While I was in process you sent me the third track. So mistakenly the 2nd and 3rd got posted, instead of Ella. Will put now

Been to all three and prefer St. Martins. Wigmore is a little dry. Kings place great for small scale performances. I remember a lute performance there a few years back. Show Film First often allowed you to see concerts for a few quid, sadly curtailed these days.
Barry, disagree on St. Martin's. Heard Brandenburg Concertos played there, and it was diffuse to the point of distraction.

I did watch a Lute performance at King's place on Sunday during day time might have been the same

Guys sorry this was supposed to go on earlier. This has both channels. 3a vs 3b. It should be quite clear here

Reactions: Audiophile Bill
Not hearing a big difference between 3a and 3b through a DAC + headphones. I guess I might prefer 3b? It seems slightly less veiled? I'm not even sure.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing