Zero Distortion: Tango Time

To have had Tadao Ando as a teacher, now that is living Peter. His work is phenomenal and has generated the wheel of inspiration for many generations yet to come. We are lucky to have lived in ages that have so many inherited cultural riches. The wealth of culture is in it’s shared evolution.

Tao, Mr. Ando was a visiting teacher for one semester at Columbia in NYC where I studied for my Masters. He had a translator with him and he did come to my apartment for a dinner with some of the other lucky students. A year later, I visited his offices in Osaka. He simply spoke his ideas and gave the staff his sketches. Yes, we were living.

Just wonderful.

Francisco the aim in design with researching for precedent isn’t to then copy, it’s to gather direction for a new design in terms of determining spirit. It’s like parent DNA. You then use this to feed into the project functional analysis to help then develop the concept.

I was suggesting just the external form of the summer house, it’s scale and proportion and textures. The density of charred timber was to help it recede and disappear into the forest. That was what would feed into the functional process of developing a new site specific design that would then fit both the site and the proposed function. So function would then determine the glazed openings would not come through internally as entire glazed curtain walling but just in the shown openings. I actually think that would aid modesty and restraint in a design that would create some sense also of retreat.

Precedents are a way to convey dialogue between designers and clients about inspirations and initial directions. But they are not used for recreation in design but rather as a seed resource for new creation.

It was an excellent suggestion, but typical audiophiles are intrinsically suggestion spoilers. :)

Scale and proportions are an extremely hard subject that IMHO should be left to professionals. Extraordinary architecture projects have associated dimensions, any change will usually compromise the overall appeal and success of the design.

I often contact with architects, and I have good friendship relation with some of them. Great memories of the time spent with a top architect designing a project for a family house. It is a fantastic profession, at some time in my youth I considered it. Currently my "architecture" is purely recreational - I still love seeing or visiting great examples of remarkable creations, although I would hate living in some of them ...

In our project we did not go through precedents - the architect preferred to spend some time with all the family members, he invited himself to have meals with us at home, and later he presented a project where very little was changed - my office that would double as listening room did not comply with the golden ratio. ;)

It was an excellent suggestion, but typical audiophiles are intrinsically suggestion spoilers. :)

Scale and proportions are an extremely hard subject that IMHO should be left to professionals. Extraordinary architecture projects have associated dimensions, any change will usually compromise the overall appeal and success of the design.

I often contact with architects, and I have good friendship relation with some of them. Great memories of the time spent with a top architect designing a project for a family house. It is a fantastic profession, at some time in my youth I considered it. Currently my "architecture" is purely recreational - I still love seeing or visiting great examples of remarkable creations, although I would hate living in some of them ...

In our project we did not go through precedents - the architect preferred to spend some time with all the family members, he invited himself to have meals with us at home, and later he presented a project where very little was changed - my office that would double as listening room did not comply with the golden ratio. ;)
Thanks for the FYI professor ;). I understand the concerns. I love being able to work in design and teaching design process is a discipline speciality along with developing sustainable design process so am quite comfortable in this work as it is my day to day job. I’m a fairly lucky soul as I get to engage in creating design constantly and working with other designers across disciplines in this work.To be honest I’d be little use at much else as its where my heart is engaged in what seems to be its very best and happiest place.

Tang spent an entire post talking about his family and what he is building for one of them. So he isn't a smart kid in the wrong advanced class or feels imprisoned in the wrong vehicle for holding precious cargo.

Maybe he will explore chance to deliver a facade that will be fun at any age. A structure architecturally relevant and sound in design principle without being 'a study' or any other trash compactor of modern ideas.

As a disposable example, the dissevered Thai Coconut. Or one on the right if a radio/private cell antenna is desired.

41HgW4CyzKL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Last edited:
This past few days I have been listening tapes appreciating my new tape head. I must say tape is for people who like to listen the whole album. If you are one of those people who like to run finger through music menu on iPad or like changing vinyl every time finished a song, you really shouldn't do tape. It is a pain in the ass to have to wait your machine to spin the reel to start with. If you partially finished the reel you have to spin it to the end before changing a new reel album. And to start a new album you have to spin the reel all the way again before play. Four days straight doing tape is probably max for me. :confused:

Here is a really good sounding tape from Ed Pong's UltraAnalog Recording I want to recommend.

CB53B4EE-32E2-45A6-8D0A-25EFDD1A61D3.jpeg

It is a live recording. The performance of Narita and Lee is very entertaining. The three pieces that Ed Pong chose were probably selected on purpose of giving different feeling to listener since the two musicians were more than able to transmit different emotion through each piece excellently. I have a dozen of Ed's tapes. I prefer the sound of this live venue to other tapes he recorded in his residence studio. I show two video clips. First one is the one I prefer. The second one is the one he recorded in his residence studio. Although the music is different I find the one recorded in studio sounded more diffuse, less vibrant, a bit too organic. It reminds me of the tone of a very old recording in the 50's of Lefebure/Backhaus on Mozart Piano Concerto 20. I hear this tone in Ed's other tapes too making me think it is his house sound.

1st.

2nd.

I don't see what is "too" organic or less vibrant about the second. The piano sound is great in the second, and the violin sound in the first. Is it that you think strikes are blunted?

The Lefebure furtwangler that you have is not an original, it is a rare test press from ERC, only 10 or so copies available of that performance, hence it is more to have the performance in as a good a quality possible than the sonics. I doubt it will sound this good but you are welcome to post a recording :)

Update to my audio journey. I have these audio equipments coming to my system:

- Klangfilm Eurodyn theatre horns.
- 2 JBL B460 with custom x-over.
- Lamm ML2.
- Neumann DST and DST62.
- Western Electric 618B trans.
- A pair of Mullard 12AX7 10M Series Gold pin.

My current listening room (office) can only fit a pair of speakers at a time. First I will move my Cessaro out and replace with the Eurodyn and JBL subs. All expensive cables will be replaced with cheap ones. I want to have a different experience with these vintage gears so I have my 3012R sent to change the connector to EMT type. This I will put the two Neumann on. I have heard such remarkable sound of Neumann through WE trans in a vintage horn system. It would be so special to hear them with the Eurodyn. The Mullard's I want to try them in one of my phono input to play when I want to listen to vocal. If still have audio fire in me I will build a new listening room. 12meter x 7meter to put the Cessaro in one side and the Eurodyn on the opposite. I sit between them. A modern vs vintage listening experience.

This past week I have been enjoying tape like never before. Maybe because cables and tubes on my tape front is broken in and the new FM head definitely make an impact. Before that I didn't put much time to tape although I have been having them for years. I also bought a few dozen of new tapes too. Right now my tape tape is as entertaining as my vinyl.

The best thing I find when go visit vintage system is to listen to really interesting lps. These vintage guys seem to have a really good and interesting collection of vinyls. I just heard this album. His voice is incredible.

23080D34-D498-4DF1-8722-933AE3599A1C.jpeg

Wow, Tang! This is a very interesting -- and very dramatic -- development! As much as I love certain modern systems, there is something holistically organic and naturally believable-sounding about much simpler two-way, high-sensitivity vintage systems. They just sound "right."

This equipment list has the fingerprints of one David Karmeli all over it!

Your report on your renewed interest in tape also is very interesting. (I remember quite some time ago when the tape machine kind of fell into disuse for you.)

Last edited:
I prefer the sound of this live venue to other tapes he recorded in his residence studio. I show two video clips. First one is the one I prefer. The second one is the one he recorded in his residence studio. Although the music is different I find the one recorded in studio sounded more diffuse, less vibrant, a bit too organic. It reminds me of the tone of a very old recording in the 50's of Lefebure/Backhaus on Mozart Piano Concerto 20. I hear this tone in Ed's other tapes too making me think it is his house sound.

1st.

2nd.
IMHO second one sounds better and first one sounds like piano is off-key/out of tune.

Reactions: bonzo75
This equipment list has the fingerprints of one David Karmeli all over it!
Why not. It's proven work. I would follow Zerostargeneral too if I picked Pnoe. :)

Update to my audio journey. I have these audio equipments coming to my system:

- Klangfilm Eurodyn theatre horns.
- 2 JBL B460 with custom x-over.
- Lamm ML2.
- Neumann DST and DST62.
- Western Electric 618B trans.
- A pair of Mullard 12AX7 10M Series Gold pin.

My current listening room (office) can only fit a pair of speakers at a time. First I will move my Cessaro out and replace with the Eurodyn and JBL subs. All expensive cables will be replaced with cheap ones. I want to have a different experience with these vintage gears so I have my 3012R sent to change the connector to EMT type. This I will put the two Neumann on. I have heard such remarkable sound of Neumann through WE trans in a vintage horn system. It would be so special to hear them with the Eurodyn. The Mullard's I want to try them in one of my phono input to play when I want to listen to vocal. If still have audio fire in me I will build a new listening room. 12meter x 7meter to put the Cessaro in one side and the Eurodyn on the opposite. I sit between them. A modern vs vintage listening experience.

This past week I have been enjoying tape like never before. Maybe because cables and tubes on my tape front is broken in and the new FM head definitely make an impact. Before that I didn't put much time to tape although I have been having them for years. I also bought a few dozen of new tapes too. Right now my tape tape is as entertaining as my vinyl.
If you are building from the ground i would recommend 8 m wide. I have 6,5 x 12 m . It's not enough ! :rolleyes:

Tang bought Klangfilm
Peter bought Vitavox
Ked would like to buy old Altec or similar
I took Acoustat X

Very interesting

Interesting yes, surprising no. Don't forget Jeffrey_T with his JBL Hartsfields. There are some very interesting choices out there, and people seem to be rediscovering. The key is understanding what you want and then being able to get it. A good mentor helps. That goes for the entire system and set up too.

Tang waded into the pool. He learned and is now getting ready to dive into the deep end.

Reactions: jeff1225
The key is understanding what you want and then being able to get it.
Feels like time for a Basho reference: "Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.” ~ Basho

I suppose there may be lost arcane knowledge, and there may be lost materials...but my strongest intuition is that there was a disconnect in the goals

Feels like time for a Basho reference: "Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.” ~ Basho

I suppose there may be lost arcane knowledge, and there may be lost materials...but my strongest intuition is that there was a disconnect in the goals

Solypsa, what do you mean by a "disconnect in the goals"?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing