Zero Distortion: Tango Time

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Tang, I'm curious about Ked's experiment with the Shun Mook in your system. In the Mook cartridge thread, Ked said he put some Mooks under, or over, your EMT phono stage. Did you know he was doing this? How did it affect the sound, and why did it sound better on day 1 than it did on day 2? It seems that you noticed the effect right away but that they did not stay in the system. Was their effect so pronounced under just one component?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, I'm curious about Ked's experiment with the Shun Mook in your system. In the Mook cartridge thread, Ked said he put some Mooks under, or over, your EMT phono stage. Did you know he was doing this? How did it affect the sound, and why did it sound better on day 1 than it did on day 2? It seems that you noticed the effect right away but that they did not stay in the system. Was their effect so pronounced under just one component?

Dear Peter,

My memory is not very good. I don't remember the first day that Ked said he put the Mook into my system. I only remember when he put it under my Emt phono the second day when I was witnessing that together with him. The sound went suspicious. We listened and looked at one another. There was this pause in the air each of us was trying to come up with words to say. When this kind of moment happen it normally is not positive. Ked used the word muddle the sound. That is a correct word to describe. The see throughness between instruments was degraded. The tone changed. Kedar tried to adjust the positioning of the Mook under the phono but I gave him the look. So he stopped. His Mooks were bigger than the size of Wendy's biggest burger. They had spikes underneath too. I didnot want them to scratch the surface of my Stacore platform. More importantly the Kuro interconnect that I am using is very heavy and stiff. It stresses the hell out of my rca inlets when the component is moved or taken out. I broke the connectors two times already using Kuro. So that was my reason for the look I gave him. I probably have drawn my conclusion of it too quickly from what I heard without making further adjustment of the Mook placement. I just was not interested in the Mook. Kedar was. Actually I had been having these Mooks in my room for about six months. I tried them under my Tripoint Elite with Jazzhead when he visited me a while ago. It didnt get my interest back then either.

My general impression of footers is that these things are tone adjustment. They all behave differently to tone. I have tried Stillpoint6, Mook and the other ones that MikeL put under his Tripoint Elite from Korea I dont remember the name. To me they condense the sound of each instrument making sound more objectlike more dense. People might say more organic. They could accentuate certain frequencies making people feel the sound is even more pronounced. They also influence soundstage and presentation of sound. But the more you listen the more you hear what they take away or shape off musical information. In my opinion, if you choose your main components, manage electricity and sort out your system well, you dont really need these tweaks to add anything more to your sound. Everything should already be there sufficiently..unless you want to tune it to your liking.

Kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Tang had zero interest in knowing what I was doing with the mooks, or how, or why. He has had them for a few months and did not try except when jazz head put them under his power supply. But yes, he did help me put them under on both days, by lifting the back of the phono, which is the only component they would fit in his rack space. He has blanked out on the first instance

To do it right I have to take it on and off a few times, on the floor, on the rack both with mooks on and off. That is not really possible with his rack space and cabling

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Hi Tang,

You might want to try Stacore’s new footers as they are aiming at improving the coupling between the component and the platform. The had a positive impact under my phono stage. And you can return them if they don’t bring anything.

Kind regards,

Denis

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
My experience with Mook and all other footers I've tried is the same as Tang's, they homogenize and color the sound no matter what the brand! In case of Shun Mook I've seen them do very impressive things with their dots in a room but the feet are no different than others in degrading and destroying sound quality.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My experience with Mook and all other footers I've tried is the same as Tang's, they homogenize and color the sound no matter what the brand! In case of Shun Mook I've seen them do very impressive things with their dots in a room but the feet are no different than others in degrading and destroying sound quality.

david

So why are racks different? He has CMS and Stacore, and Stacore has footers. So either the racks and footers are also doing the same, or all these are just doing their flavors in different ways. Might as well keep everything on the floor otherwise. Or are some racks more neutral than others? The point is, this should have been compared properly to find out which way to go

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
So why are racks different? He has CMS and Stacore, and Stacore has footers. So either the racks and footers are also doing the same, or all these are just doing their flavors in different ways. Might as well keep everything on the floor otherwise. Or are some racks more neutral than others? The point is, this should have been compared properly to find out which way to go

Imho - whatever you place your equipment on will change the sound somewhat. All footers I heard seem to have their flavour as do all racks I have heard.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Imho - whatever you place your equipment on will change the sound somewhat. All footers I heard seem to have their flavour as do all racks I have heard.

Exactly. You are just comparing one flavor to another.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
In case of racks the equipment is sitting directly on a sold platform with footers you introduce a new variable generally pressing into the metal chassis between the equipment, you not have 3-4 pressure point that you didn't have before. Of course not all racks are good and benign plenty of horrendous ones out there too. The difference is the same as lying down on a mattress supporting all your body or laying on the 4 bed legs.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In case of racks the equipment is sitting directly on a sold platform with footers you introduce a new variable generally pressing into the metal chassis between the equipment, you not have 3-4 pressure point that you didn't have before. Of course not all racks are good and benign plenty of horrendous ones out there too. The difference is the same as lying down on a mattress supporting all your body or laying on the 4 bed legs.

david

The feet of components are horrible. There are 3 - 4 of them sitting directly on the rack. Anyway we disagree. And the General's room is most mooked and has the best recordings with more variation than people are aware of (originating from more lathes, cutters, labels then the forum together would know of) and all recordings show through with total transparency.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

david

Hi David,

Yes I see your point and it makes sense. That being said different racks impart their own sound without footers. When I first started out I had a glass AV rack - a horrid thing. Incredible how glass seems to permeate the signal. I then experimented later with granite - another poor choice of mine due to ringing which manifested as a hard treble. My first preference has always been wood thereafter but I don’t believe that doesn’t impart something just that it imparts something that is natural to my ear.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Same here. I refuse to put my equipment (placeholder for Christoph to say which equipment :p) on anything apart from wood. and Shun Mook is the most natural wood. Next anti-audiophiles will be telling cellists and violinists to not have ebony. And analog people should not use headshells.

Reactions: christoph

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The feet of components are horrible. There are 3 - 4 of them sitting directly on the rack. Anyway we disagree. And the General's room is most mooked and has the best recordings with more variation than people are aware of (originating from more lathes, cutters, labels then the forum together would know of) and all recordings show through with total transparency.
How do you know that they're horrible?I can't comment on an unfamiliar person's system.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Same here. I refuse to put my equipment (placeholder for Christoph to say which equipment :p) on anything apart from wood. and Shun Mook is the most natural wood. Next anti-audiophiles will be telling cellists and violinists to not have ebony. And analog people should not use headshells.

In case of their feet the equipment is resting on metal spikes not wood! Where's your wooden contact?

david

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Some feet are horrible, and some are designed to be part of the equipment and it's voicing, and are good, but the variables are that the equipment casing is not often conducive to coupling to aftermarket feet such as big lumps of dense Maccassar Ebony. They did nothing in my system, but I take Ked's word that they have worked well under other components. The African Ebony mook headshell we tried was not successful either in my system, but that's not to say it won't work on other tonearms..

Rgds,
Paul

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Some feet are horrible, and some are designed to be part of the equipment and it's voicing, and are good, but the variables are that the equipment casing is not often conducive to coupling to aftermarket feet such as big lumps of dense Maccassar Ebony. They did nothing in my system, but I take Ked's word that they have worked well under other components. The African Ebony mook headshell we tried was not successful either in my system, but that's not to say it won't work on other tonearms..

Rgds,
Paul

To correct, what happened was they did not work under the Allnic phono, which was too small for them. They worked positively under the Lampi (and some years ago when I had bought the AR Ref 3). I will bring them again next time to try under your Ayon. They need a sizable component, because they are very big. If the component is small, like the Allnic base was, or if it has a lot of screws or lack of space underneath, they do not work.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Everything should already be there sufficiently..unless you want to tune it to your liking.

Kind regards,
Tang

IMHO in this subjective hobby we tune it to our liking or we accept the tuning of someone else ...

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
No, they didnt work under the lampi either! The Ayon has purpose designed feet so I won't mess about with them any further, and it doesn't need further tweaks in my opinion. I think the base panel interface could be why they can and can't work.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No, they didnt work under the lampi either! The Ayon has purpose designed feet so I won't mess about with them any further, and it doesn't need further tweaks in my opinion. I think the base panel interface could be why they can and can't work.

They did. I will bring again. Which is why we did the entire session with them under the Lampi. To be fair, the Lampi is so big the feet were not fitting properly on your rack space, slipping off the edge. So it had to be put on

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
applying any tweaks requires the right mood. and your tweak vision is not always on the same wavelength as another. for myself, i do get deep into tweaks and play that hand out until i am happy. but i will then go long periods not wanting to mess with things. for the last 7 months i've made zero changes to any gear; especially tweaks.

i've had a few 'unnamed' tweaks sitting here for months, and others offered to me to try, but right now i'm just not in the mind set to make any changes. i'm in listening mode, not investigative mode.

so Tang's perspective on the mooks rings home with me. nothing to do with whether the mooks are the cat's meow or not.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing