Zellaton Plural Evo

pdubya

Oct 30, 2012
Audiophile wasteland
Not much I can add to Myles' They're-so-good-I-bought-a-pair review https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/zellaton-plural-evo-loudspeakers/ from a few years ago. However, I will note that my new Plural Evo's work quite well in a room that's probably much different than his: larger (37x17), on suspended wood floors, and with minimal acoustic treatment. As mine is a multi-purpose room with a kitchen/eating area in the back and an office in an adjacent room, I was pleased to find that the Zell's are very listenable anywhere in this space. They play nice with every genre of music I've thrown at them -- classical both large and intimate; jazz; indie rock; electronica. And they don't overexcite any of the room pressure points or induce any structural rattles -- issues I had with the last couple of full-rangers in this space.
When Audioarts' Gideon Schwartz came for installation I chose a 60w/4ohm class A Esoteric integrated for ease of initial setup and run-in. Happily, the Evo's don't require massive metal to sing. Gideon set them up about 8' from the front wall in a 10' triangle, and the effect can really be quite immersive with distinct depth. All in all, a speaker that seems to combine the best traits of its predecessors in this room while avoiding some of the pitfalls. So, of course, the little audio addict on my left shoulder is already whispering about the Reference Ultra...
Parker

Attachments

• zell evo.jpg
    zell evo.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Reactions: XV-1
Congratulations on your new loudspeakers!

I spy a wonderful Absolare there too!

Thanks Ron. The Absolare hybrid stereo brings a fullness to the music that the Esoteric integrated couldn't quite equal. And looks good while doing it!

That makes sense to me. I love the Absolare amplifiers.

What a great setup, congratulations.
Are you using the lampizator as pre for the Absolare amp, or dac only ?

Had so much fun setting these up with you in North Carolina, but regret not staying longer to hear them with the Absolare ;)
For those of you who are not aware, the Plural’s have an adjustable port; in this particular room only nominal adjustment was needed to create slightly more tonal density, which balanced nicely with the immediacy and transparency of the Esoteric. Still recall listening to Argerich prior to catching my flight back to NYC. So much emotion and feeling came through her playing; I’m so happy you’re feeling that same connection.

Thanks. Currently using Lampi's pre. Even though it's a big space, trying to keep the box count down.:)
Your Plural Evo doesn't have issues with large spaces, and I must admit, minimalism works fine for me, especially from an aesthetic standpoint.

On the theme of tubes with Zellaton, I’ve achieved spectacular results with OTL designs, even a Futterman and Acoustat servo amps from the late 70’s. Most recently on the tube side, I’ve partnered them with Jadis for incredibly immersive results. In one install in Soho NYC, my client uses a pure class A DA88S integrated, Jadis digital, Linn LP12, Thoress Phono Enhancer, Ballfinger reel to reel and my favorite piece - a Tandberg 3014a cassette deck, perfectly restored.

Attachments

• IMG_3663.jpeg
    IMG_3663.jpeg
    217 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3662.jpeg
    IMG_3662.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3661.jpeg
    IMG_3661.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3660.jpeg
    IMG_3660.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3659.jpeg
    IMG_3659.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 39
Not much I can add to Myles' They're-so-good-I-bought-a-pair review https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/zellaton-plural-evo-loudspeakers/ from a few years ago. However, I will note that my new Plural Evo's work quite well in a room that's probably much different than his: larger (37x17), on suspended wood floors, and with minimal acoustic treatment. As mine is a multi-purpose room with a kitchen/eating area in the back and an office in an adjacent room, I was pleased to find that the Zell's are very listenable anywhere in this space. They play nice with every genre of music I've thrown at them -- classical both large and intimate; jazz; indie rock; electronica. And they don't overexcite any of the room pressure points or induce any structural rattles -- issues I had with the last couple of full-rangers in this space.
When Audioarts' Gideon Schwartz came for installation I chose a 60w/4ohm class A Esoteric integrated for ease of initial setup and run-in. Happily, the Evo's don't require massive metal to sing. Gideon set them up about 8' from the front wall in a 10' triangle, and the effect can really be quite immersive with distinct depth. All in all, a speaker that seems to combine the best traits of its predecessors in this room while avoiding some of the pitfalls. So, of course, the little audio addict on my left shoulder is already whispering about the Reference Ultra...
Parker
What a beautiful set up Parker. The Zellaton has to be heard to truly understand how great a speaker it is. You're one lucky dude and Gideon is such an expert wrt setup that Im betting the sound is nothing short of spectacular. if you mind my asking what speakers were in your room before the Zellaton as I bet the Zellaton is something special in your room.

Thank you Steve.

One of these days I’ll sit down and do a recap in the Members Systems forum, but here’s the short version: I’ve had Revel, Avantgarde, and Bayz in this room long-term, with special guest appearances by YG, Aequo, Fleetwood DeVille, Finkteam and QLN. Most recently the big Clarisys graced the space — very fine speakers, but unfortunately revealing of unaddressable bass issues and structural deficiencies.

As this is a Zelleton forum I’d rather not go into the nitty gritty on the other speakers. It’s definitely been an (expensive) education …
p

Reactions: steve williams
That’s why I asked

How many hours on the speakers now

I’ve heard that the Evo Plural is preferred by users as much as their Statement. That’s a statement in and of itself

Is the bass better on these than your Clarisys Auditorium that preceded these and if so can you articulate the differences

Not sure how many hours. Had them about 2.5 weeks.

The Clarisys could go deeper — this room wasn’t built for that — certain music/frequencies resulted in unmusical vibrations and/or rattles — even music you wouldn’t expect to do so like a relatively mellow Carla Bley/Steve Swallow album. The Bayz, no matter where I put them, excited a 70 Hz boom, which made almost all acoustic (jazz) bass unenjoyable. (Zoltan Bay was kind enough to figure out how to configure some port plugs to ameliorate this to a degree). Plural Evo’s seem to interact much better with room — more linear with right amount of warmth. I wouldn’t say categorically that Zell bass is better — it’s just more right in this particular room than the other speakers were. For that matter, neither the Revels nor AVGs revealed bass issues in this room — as they preceded the Bayz and Clarisys, I was quite shocked/disappointed to discover the room’s limitations with the latter.

Reactions: steve williams
Thank you Steve.

One of these days I’ll sit down and do a recap in the Members Systems forum, but here’s the short version: I’ve had Revel, Avantgarde, and Bayz in this room long-term, with special guest appearances by YG, Aequo, Fleetwood DeVille, Finkteam and QLN. Most recently the big Clarisys graced the space — very fine speakers, but unfortunately revealing of unaddressable bass issues and structural deficiencies.

As this is a Zelleton forum I’d rather not go into the nitty gritty on the other speakers. It’s definitely been an (expensive) education …
p
Hi P.,

we wish you all the best for your future speakers. Just to clarify because i get mails, the "structural deficiencies" is regarding your housing structure (wooden support beams) and not the speakers, those are to use your own words "the best sound you ever had". Anyway, just wanted to clarify that. I do wish you all the best and happy listening. :)

Reactions: Golum
Yes, Florian, the house was at fault, not the very solid speakers. Aforementioned rattles/vibrations were coming not from the the Auditoriums themselves but from walls, floor, windows, pipes ... who knows ... the room just was not meant for very heavy full-scale sub-20Hz transducers. Sorry for the confusion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing